• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jcorl0913 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that shakeology is not just a "protein" shake. It's a meal replacement.

actually, it is over priced garbage that has nothing to do with health or nutrition...

Ok. I was just pointing out that a protein shake isn't quite the same thing as a meal replacement shake. Calm down.

please explain to us how shakelogy is more than a protein shake....?

The only difference is MRP and protein shakes are MRP generally have more carbs and are fortified with vitamins.

so you are saying they are about the same?
  • jcorl0913
    jcorl0913 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that shakeology is not just a "protein" shake. It's a meal replacement.

actually, it is over priced garbage that has nothing to do with health or nutrition...

Ok. I was just pointing out that a protein shake isn't quite the same thing as a meal replacement shake. Calm down.

Wow. Did shakeology not call you back the next morning? Good grief. I don't drink shakeology. But I did read the ingredient list and the nutritional supplements are much more than what is found in a standard protein shake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Wow. Did shakeology not call you back the next morning? Good grief. I don't drink shakeology. But I did read the ingredient list and the nutritional supplements are much more than what is found in a standard protein shake.

I want to know why you think it is more than a protein shake. You made a blanket statement that shakeology is more than a protein shake, and I want to know why it is...

if the answer is nutritional supplements then I stand by my original assertion that it is overpriced garbage and you can get the same from a protein shake, or just eat real food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The only difference is MRP and protein shakes are MRP generally have more carbs and are fortified with vitamins.

so you are saying they are about the same?

Shakeology has more carbs and less protein than most protein shakes. It is also very heavily fortified with vitamins and minerals.

But considering it taste like chalk and cost a ridiculous amount of money, I would never buy that crap. Beside, I can get better nutrition from a naturemade one a day, which is certified by the USP.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

I see you've had the Kool Aid.

Lol. Nope. Never had it. Just pointing out that it is a meal replacement and regular protein, while less expensive, won't have the same nutritional supplements.

Then take a multi-vitamin with it, and boom, more protein, better quality micros (vitamins and minerals) all for a lower price tag.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I would think it is similar to the difference between an "energy bar" and a "protein bar."

Example - Clif Bar (energy bar) has a lot more carbs than a Quest Bar (protein bar) and more calories.
  • Ketzalitzli2
    Ketzalitzli2 Posts: 38 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    http://sweetlifefitness.net/shakeology/shakeology-ingredients/

Not sure if biased article or not but you can do a google search and find ingredients on different shakes/meal replacements and decide what's best for yourself. Not everyone is going to agree and not everything is going to work the same for everyone. In the end we all have to find what works best for our own body. If it works for you great. If not, keep searching. :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Id get a yummy protein powder- a good multi vitamin and call it a day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No, that link isn't biased. Not at all. Want to buy some, after I tell you it's great? Click below!

Actually, it's utter crap. It states that it'll cost more than the $4.33 per shake to get all those nutrients from real food. No Schibe. Good thing you don't need all of those vitamins all at once. Also - I just shake my head at what that link refers to as "superfoods."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://sweetlifefitness.net/shakeology/shakeology-ingredients/

Not sure if biased article or not but you can do a google search and find ingredients on different shakes/meal replacements and decide what's best for yourself. Not everyone is going to agree and not everything is going to work the same for everyone. In the end we all have to find what works best for our own body. If it works for you great. If not, keep searching. :)

They website sells shakeology. And most of it reads like the advertisement (in fact, it has a lot of the same phrases). It's definitely overly biased.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Shakeology: Shaking up its foundations
    Random thoughts from a father and pharmacist.

http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html?m=1

"So, you are paying for 17 g of protein, which you could get anywhere for SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper, and an insignificant quantity of dried plant powders. Just to give an example of the insignificance of these quantities, I have some quinoa kicking around the house. The ingredient listing states there is 617 mg of quinoa in Shakeology. I couldn’t even weigh this at home as my kitchen scale is not sensitive enough to detect anything under 2 g. So I had to use my chemistry scale at work. The resulting mass of quinoa seeds, in a single layer, was about the size of a loonie."

• lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you want quick and inexpensive, I like Kirkland's version of slim fast (chocolate)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Save $2,200 a year.
    Walmart's pure protein + walmarts women's one a day vitamin.

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I really like EAS and often use it will Ice and yogurt maybe a bit of banana
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

You're correct - Shakeology (which I do not buy or sell) positions itself as a meal replacement shake, which is indeed something different from a protein shake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Well if shakeology is so bad then what are the better options? I'm totally ok with trying something else, especially if it's cheaper

I add fruits and veggies, etc. to protein powder. I use tea for the liquid.

bhzlkgd9fqjx.png