WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• rstarnes65
    rstarnes65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I've been trying to keep up with all the wonderful conversations and by the time I get done reading it's time to get to work
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    drcrisos - I always use scales. I have two - one pretty mechanical one in chrome and black that sits on the counter and one small digital one that I mainly use for baking that goes in a drawer. I weigh most everyday things on the mechanical one as it's to hand. I just put every slice of bread, piece of cheese etc on there.

Just had delicious red rice and quinoa salad. Half a packet of the ready prepared stuff, plus a small amount of feta, half a tiny avocado and all the salad stuff including fresh chilli. And cooked beetroot. 400 cals, which is a bit more than usual, but utterly delicious. You could easily take half ot that in a lunch box and have extra leaves with it. Squeezed lemon on the avocado.

Tonight we are having the Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie from skinnytaste.com. For the newbies it is a great dish to have warm or cold and makes a great cold lunch the next day. I have also cut it up, put it on fancy cocktail sticks and used it as canapés. :D Skinnytaste.com is a good site for ideas. I like the Zucchini Tots, which I make in non stick mini muffin tins (they freeze) and the Baked Eggplant Sticks, which don't, but are delicious. I also made the Eggplant Rollatini for a veggie friend and it froze beautifully, so although it was a faff, it was worth it for ease on the day. He was delighted.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    SHalck wrote: »
    Hello New to the page and hoping to get inspiration. Word for March is “Answers”. I am having an uphill struggle, changing my food, I teach dance 4 days a week for at least 3 hours. Eating healthy but cannot get my sugar levels down. Lactose and Gluten free. Don’t eat sugar. Don’t drink. Very frustrating.

Ditto.... it is a struggle alright!! Watch the fruit you eat....I eat only berries and really watch the rest of the food I eat to make sure there isn't a lot of sugar in it.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    DrCrisos ~ an NSV is a non scale victory

I have a digital postal scale that sits on my kitchen counter and does a great job.

Going to the oral surgeon today to get the bad tooth out. OUCH!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Hello, I'm brand new to MFP (3 days), and feel like I wanna lurk a little while I get my bearings. It feels rude to just lurk though, so Hi, my real name is Larisa, and I'll be over here in the corner. :blush:

Larisa, welcome. We don't mind lurkers :), please feel free to jump in when you feel comfortable and tell us a little about yourself and your journey.

Janetr okc
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    I read in so many health and fitness blogs that "cheat days" are not a good idea. All you end up doing is erasing all your hard work that you've done all week. So, I don't do them. I allow myself a gooey dessert every day instead.

I do not allow myself cheat days. To me its back-pedaling. I am in a support group (TOPS) and every Wednesday after our meeting alot of the ladies go out to eat. I think its kind of hypocritical to preach great eating habits, then have fattening lunches. So, you can imagine they don't really invite me to lunch ever. I equate it to having a pristine checking account, always balanced, then every once in awhile bouncing a check. All it really does is stress you out, and worry about if you are going to balance the account for the rest of the week. For some it works great, but for me it doesn't work.
    Becca
    Oregon

I agree, if we have to call it a "cheat day" right there it is sending guilt feelings. This is not a diet, not a destination, it is a life long healthy eating journey. That's not to say I don't have a dessert or something with more carbs once in a while, I do. I do figure it in to my calories, etc. But as you say, Becca, in an entire day you can blow your entire good work for the week. If you feel you are "cheating", you are probably not enjoying it. When I do allow myself a treat, I eat it slowly and absolutely enjoy every bite. :) Just my opinion.

Janetr OKC

I have to disagree on this one. Life is about balance and for me, that means eating healthy most of the time and indulging in something "sinful" occasionally. I don't consume 5,000 calories on a cheat day, but I do have one yummy meal or one drink or one dessert. This does not in any way derail my progress. Instead, it allows me to continue with a healthy lifestyle that meets my physical and emotional needs. I am able to spend valuable time with friends or family without guilt, doing something that culturally (as humans) is bonding. In addition, the trainer that I admire and follow cheats occasionally on her own plan (as do every single one I've known) and she looks amazing. Were I not to cheat (and yes, I like that word because I never wish to be rigid in any aspect of my life) I would not - repeat NOT - be able to sustain a healthy diet.

I have to chime in... I think we all agree that to being on this journey with any degree of success, balance is needed. I think I shall always look at foods with a certain amount of "weighing in the portions, the fats, the sugar", you can't help but be more aware logging your food intake. I think looking at foods with a mindset that "every so often you have to indulge" or eat something "sinful" is a bit like giving yourself a out in committing to this fully. So, lets say I wish something sweet.....well I have Skinny Cow Mint Ice cream bars in the freezer. Lets say I want something salty....well I have the 100 calorie bags of microwavable popcorn. You can have your "vices" and not feel like you are back-pedaling. I think that my being imperfect with food choices is perfectly fine. Actually no one would even notice if each of us had "Cheat Days' unless we pipe it to everyone we see. So maybe its just a way for people to come clean with not being perfect.....ok lets just be human then. Maybe its people telling other people that they need approval to cheat...I don't know. hmmm that is my opinion so don't blast me... lol
    Becca

I am perfectly content with my commitment and I never feel like I am back-pedaling.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

Woke up to a covering of snow. Not to worry it will be gone in a day or two due to warmer weather.

Down a couple tenths of a pound this morning. I'll take what I can considering I am up from when I started MFP last March. I'm just so proud of myself for still being here and following thru with logging.

My husband had a great phone interview with Ohio Northern University yesterday. AND based on his phone interview with Virginia Commonwealth University on Tuesday he got invited for a campus interview later this month! He has a lot of irons in the fire as they say and I am sure something will come thru for him. He has such a passion for career counseling and wants desperately to share that knowledge at a public/private state college/university. After so many years in the for-profit schools he's ready to move on.

Have to run some errands later. Walmart, Post Office, Library. Will do my PT workout today. We are in the process of "eating down the freezer" so dinner should be interesting. Last nite the hubs had pierogis and pigs in the blanket left over from New Years...lol.

TGIF everyone!

Cheri in chilly, snow covered Fairlawn, oHIo
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Navybrat822 – What got me motivated was getting northward to 199lbs (and swearing I would never hit 200lb); pictures of me at my DYS’s wedding and looking ‘frumpy’; and, seeing how miserable my DnL was at 280lbd. But, my biggest inspiration is my DH and weigh-in day when it is on a downward direction. I had lost 40lbs; then, before my last weigh-in … went on a ‘grazing’ spell and added 5lbs back; but my fat weight had gone down and my muscle weight had gone up a little. So I tried not to get too upset about myself.

Blue Grandchildren? Never heard of such thing.

Finding exercises on this site has been difficult for me … sometimes I enter something any possible way it can be added. Am I walking during this exercise; working upper body strength, hula hooping (which I finally did find, under something total off the wall … don’t know if I could find it again; saved it for when I get back to it. Rained last night and until the grass dries up maybe this afternoon, I will try that for my daily exercise. I’ve craved a candy that is almost totally sugar; but, I do post it. UGH!

Larisa – come out of the corner and just jump in. Tell us something about you, marital status, children, grandchildren, what you do for hobbies, do you work outside the home, stuff like that. Even you goal and how MFP is working (or not) for you. Great thread to get good ideas and encouragement. We talk about everything … maybe because we feel so comfortable with each other. Some have been here for years, others not quite so much; but, ‘newbies’ are always welcome. Make sure you bookmark this page to make it easier to find. Click on the outline of a start, it will turn yellow; next time you come back, hit the gray button between the bell and gear; and you will see each month drop down. Pick the most recent; and bookmark it as stated above. At the end of the month barbiecat will post a new link for the next month. You will find when you come back that there might be a few posts that got posted between the time she posts the link and the new month. It will also take you back to the last time you posted. Some of us put a ‘smiley face’ in the post (only) so it takes us back to that point.

If you take a baby or young child on a plane – give the baby a ‘binky’ (pacifier) to suck on and ‘gum’ for the child; this will help with the change of pressure we all go through if we are not chewing our gum or not ‘popping’ our ears by holding our noses.

Got a call from my DS’s friend who informed us that DMS had been in the hospital for 3 days after she fell and hurt her back. They ended up calling an ambulance for her. She was upset with him because he tried to get her up. She doesn’t understand why people think it is so important to pick that person up, can do more damage doing it. She was putting her socks on, knee was bend as well as the other and she fell – knew there was no way to stop it; and herniated a disk; so they went in and pulled it back to where it was supposed to be and filled it up again, took the pain away. She hallucinated because of the medication they gave her for pain. Told me if she called and did not make any sense to tell her to ‘go to bed’. Said they had given it to her to take 2 twice a day (every 6 hours) so she plans on trying to take 1 every 3 hours. She also has another Rx to take for pain.

Hortmama – I have a very good technical teal that gets rid of any viruses I have and does a back-up of my computer several times a day. They work on it remotely and I can put in my password and walk away from it until they are finished. Sometimes my problem can take only a few minutes; others (like removing viruses, etc., take longer. There a some technicians I like better than others because they have been there since the beginning of the company. You can have up to 5 items on the program for the price of one. I have my desktop, laptop, printer, and smart phone on it at the moment.

Drcrisos – I use a scale and also have a good set of measuring cups and spoons; also have 3 WW measuring spoons which I like a lot. Get a good scale when you buy one. WW has one of those, too.

KJL – DH has not been a good patient either. Will be happy when he gets the catheter out; and, no longer has to wear a bag. Last night he really wanted to take a shower and I told him that they said ‘only sponge baths’ until they took out the catheter. Both times I got on FB, I got a virus that was a killer to get rid of; when they found out I had 2 accounts they locked me out of both; best thing to happen to me. Got so tired of ‘family drama’ being posted there by DnL#1. She does not know how to keep it to herself. We don’t tell her anything about anything. Yesterday she called after work to tell her DH that she was going to the hospital to sit while her niece has her 3rd baby. He did not like it very much; because first off, it is not her 1st; and, she won’t be able to be with her during delivery. Just another excuse not to come home. He and the girls are getting tired of it. Usually, makes her ‘sick’ the day after and she gets ‘docked’ in her pay whenever she’s not there (and she doesn’t think it is fair). Nothing in life is fair; but, (usually) it is good. She does not see that either.

Gloria – Great NSV – I’ve got to go through all my clothes to make sure I am not doing the KonMar folding things that don’t fit; and, take them to Goodwill. I bought 2 new blouses; and another pair of skinny jeans (that are off-white). I got ‘hacked’ twice while on FB – will never go back. The asked for too much info to get back on; things that I don’t give out to anybody for any reason. Two ‘government’ issued things; and, the only ones I have are my ‘driver’s license’ and ‘SSN card’. Then they wanted a bill in my name. They wanted more than they require to get a driver’s license in the state of Georgia.

cityjaneLondon – I’ve got to get that spinach and feta cheese recipe, everybody says that it is so good.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    I read in so many health and fitness blogs that "cheat days" are not a good idea. All you end up doing is erasing all your hard work that you've done all week. So, I don't do them. I allow myself a gooey dessert every day instead.

I do not allow myself cheat days. To me its back-pedaling. I am in a support group (TOPS) and every Wednesday after our meeting alot of the ladies go out to eat. I think its kind of hypocritical to preach great eating habits, then have fattening lunches. So, you can imagine they don't really invite me to lunch ever. I equate it to having a pristine checking account, always balanced, then every once in awhile bouncing a check. All it really does is stress you out, and worry about if you are going to balance the account for the rest of the week. For some it works great, but for me it doesn't work.
    Becca
    Oregon

I agree, if we have to call it a "cheat day" right there it is sending guilt feelings. This is not a diet, not a destination, it is a life long healthy eating journey. That's not to say I don't have a dessert or something with more carbs once in a while, I do. I do figure it in to my calories, etc. But as you say, Becca, in an entire day you can blow your entire good work for the week. If you feel you are "cheating", you are probably not enjoying it. When I do allow myself a treat, I eat it slowly and absolutely enjoy every bite. :) Just my opinion.

Janetr OKC

I have to disagree on this one. Life is about balance and for me, that means eating healthy most of the time and indulging in something "sinful" occasionally. I don't consume 5,000 calories on a cheat day, but I do have one yummy meal or one drink or one dessert. This does not in any way derail my progress. Instead, it allows me to continue with a healthy lifestyle that meets my physical and emotional needs. I am able to spend valuable time with friends or family without guilt, doing something that culturally (as humans) is bonding. In addition, the trainer that I admire and follow cheats occasionally on her own plan (as do every single one I've known) and she looks amazing. Were I not to cheat (and yes, I like that word because I never wish to be rigid in any aspect of my life) I would not - repeat NOT - be able to sustain a healthy diet.

I have to chime in... I think we all agree that to being on this journey with any degree of success, balance is needed. I think I shall always look at foods with a certain amount of "weighing in the portions, the fats, the sugar", you can't help but be more aware logging your food intake. I think looking at foods with a mindset that "every so often you have to indulge" or eat something "sinful" is a bit like giving yourself a out in committing to this fully. So, lets say I wish something sweet.....well I have Skinny Cow Mint Ice cream bars in the freezer. Lets say I want something salty....well I have the 100 calorie bags of microwavable popcorn. You can have your "vices" and not feel like you are back-pedaling. I think that my being imperfect with food choices is perfectly fine. Actually no one would even notice if each of us had "Cheat Days' unless we pipe it to everyone we see. So maybe its just a way for people to come clean with not being perfect.....ok lets just be human then. Maybe its people telling other people that they need approval to cheat...I don't know. hmmm that is my opinion so don't blast me... lol
    Becca

:::::::::::: blastin annr, y, just cuz::::::::::::::::
  • pipcd34
    Options
    drcrisos wrote: »
    Do you all use a food scale? I don't have one and was thinking of getting one. I "eyeball" my portions. I do use a measuring cup for the things I can.
    Thanks for the comments about my pic. His name was Reagan - a Bernese Mountain Dog. He died last June at the young age of 5. I just can't change my picture yet. He was such a huge part of my life and I sure do miss him :(
    As far as the discussion about cheating, I just log everything and try to make sure that I'm at a calorie deficit. If I eat something unhealthy or over my calorie limit, I try to go for a walk or do some exercise to make up for it.
    I try to eat healthy, but I certainly do make other decisions... One day at a time!

yes, I do use a scale. you then realize, woah, that is one serving???

sorry bout your pooch, he was a cutie... he's up in doggy heaven with my rocky.. he's showin him the ropes (mine was a golden retriever) I couldn't change my pic for the longest time too. he was just shy of turning 11. this year Bullwinkle (other golden) will be 11. memories are always there
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squats-1X5X 95/100/105/110, 5X5X 115
    Sumo squats-5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 50/55/60/65, 5X5X 70
    BR-5X5X 85

I am still doing a deload on this work out so that I can survive doing kettle bell swings later during the day.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Traveling today. My husband has a meeting this morning so I did a workout and ran 3 miles on the hotel treadmill. I hate treadmills and the audio book I'm listening to isn't very good but to stubborn to not get to the end of it no matter how poorly written. Lol

Larissa don't lurk. Just jump in. You'll get the most from it and it motivates you to come back. Just NEVER skip a day or you'll never catch up. Lol. Learn from my mistake there. I'm new here myself. Only been on this thread for a week. These ladies are great. Very encouraging.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps and new peep-stirs -

I ended up riding home yesterday, it was nice weather. glad I did cuz I only had burned less than 300 in the morning. I don't burn as much when I'm doing stretch exercises for my shoulder, that ride home helped bring it to a decent level for the day. I think i'll ride home again if it's nice.

I came home and Kirby told me that the shingles are on top of the roof and when I get home today, we should have a new roof! wowzers, $$ flyin out left and right! I know it's gonna increase the value of the house and I'll get the doe back, yada yada, blah blah, but still!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Terrific weights Mary! I felt like superwoman doing my 40 lbs bicep curls today (two 20 lb dumbbells ) :laugh:

My feta pie (it's really a cake) is done. My yoghurt is ready to go in the warming oven. :D I forgot to put the seaweed in my salad, so have saved it for tomorrow.

Love Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    Options
    you go on wit yo bad self and those stats fancy!!
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I am back after being gone for a few years and with new motivation! I lost the bf that was making me crazy, and it literally has taken me almost a year to find myself. Not a good thing for a single mother of 2 teens.

Anyway, I have quit drinking and need to gt exercising, as in 24 days I will be in San Francisco with an old friend - really looking forward to that and highly motivated! My scale says I have lost 17 pounds, I think its lying, LOL.

Now to catch up on everyone! TGIF!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather- thanks! You are doing an excellent job on your weights as well! You are making me hungry with your delicious food descriptions! You really should write a cookbook!

Pip- thanks! I'm just trying to catch up with you! I'm excited for your new roof! It really is money well spent. Even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

We are getting our new refrigerator delivered right now. We had to order a special size to fit in our smaller kitchen. My DH went to check the custom cabinets we're having made which was supposed to be done today and he hasn't even started on it. Supposedly he does excellent work so my DH said to give him a couple weeks and he will keep on him.

Have a Great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gloria: Congratulations on the fabulous NSV with clothes! We can look at the scale and think, I've lost a little weight, but when we can put on clothes that were too small and now they fit we have undisputable proof that we are succeeding. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Penny: My Baskin-Robbins delight is dark chocolate ice cream. Luckily, there are no Baskin Robbins stores near where I live. Last summer we discovered Weight Watcher's Giant Chocolate Fudge Bar, 110 calories. The nice thing about them is that they're portion controlled and you don't "accidentally" put an extra scoop into your bowl. Lately we've discovered they have an even better treat. Mint ice-cream pops dipped in dark chocolate at the top end for only 60 calories per bar. Bliss! I wonder if they're available in Norway. :heart:

Larisa: Welcome. Lurk all you want and jump into the conversation when you are ready. :flowerforyou:

Kimses: The bento boxes are a great idea. Enjoy your time with DH. :smiley:

drcrisos: I have a food scale and use it frequently. I also have measured scoops called dishers in 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1/4 cup sizes. We use all of these tools regularly. The scale we bought on Amazon at a very reasonable price. The dishers are from a restaurant supply company and were more expensive. We always chose healthy foods; we just ate too much. These tools helped change our lives. They were worth the investment. We also bought a new digital bathroom scale to weigh ourselves. The old one was kind of like a Magic 8 Ball. It put out random and fanciful answers. :ohwell:

Peach: Good luck at the Dentist's office. You'll feel better after it is all done. :flowerforyou:.

Cheri in OH: I've got my fingers crossed that your husband finds the perfect job in a place you will both enjoy. :smiley:

MarcelynH: Audio books are great for treadmills and stationary bike riding. You can burn calories like crazy and be entertained by a good story all at once. I also like them for long, solitary walks & road trips in the car. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today and I'm released to use my formerly broken and now healed wrist! Yay! I suspect it will take a bit of work to get the strength and flexibility back, and wonder just how long it will take to get back to where I left off.

I have a riding lesson tomorrow and we will be going to WA to visit DS and DDIL. We haven't been to their house since before Thanksgiving due to illness on our part or travel on theirs. Now they're getting ready to move to the other side of the country. I don't know the exact timing on the move, but the Army has it's own processes to follow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    Options