Does steam bath/ hot sauna help in reducing fat??

Options
I am curious that after gym session should I invest my time in hot steam/sauna for weight loss??

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Won't help with fat loss but it does feel nice.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, so much for me, I went and bought a sauna and hot tub for my house., my best investments to date.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nope. It will do absolutely nothing to reduce fat. The most you will lose is water weight, which comes back on as soon as you rehydrate.
  • mannins3
    mannins3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's mostly just a nice way to unwind and relax. Doesn't necessarily aid in weight loss.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It might burn a few more calories but nothing significant, just use it to relax, unwind and losen up the muscles after a good workout. I know somepeople who like to stretch in a sauna but you might get a few odd looks for that one if you are at a gym.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    No effect on fat loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss, sauna for relaxation.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You might sweat out some more water. But mentally and physically by relaxing your hard worked out muscles and even starting recovery with increasing blood flow to those hard worked muscles... WIN WIN

I can do this in my garden hot tub, but not an enclosed sauna. Not even the same thing for me.. :)

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Great for your pores and a nice way to relax after a work out.
    I would be all over this if my gym had one.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that it can affect fat tissue close to muscle. If the muscle is hot, it will reduce fat, but the total amount is miniscule and only really noticeable if you have decent muscle mass. Can't remember which site it was in. When I read it, I was like "OH!" followed by "Oh."
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sauna feels nice - do it if you enjoy it as an unwind after a workout. But it's not the magic fat loss room. I would live there if that was the case lol.
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How is this a success story?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A gym instructor showing me the club's steam room gave me some bull about cleaning out toxins. But I still like it for relaxing stiffening muscles after a workout.

All you could possibly lose is water and you want to replace that right away anyways.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Oh, I think I read the article in T-nation.
  • sexymumma2015
    sexymumma2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone for your valuable input. This is not exactly a success story ..but the intention for asking here was has any1 got success with sauna.
  • minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Steam rooms and saunas open the pores. Great for the skin. Also causes increased heart rate and improves blood circulation. It does indeed detoxify the skin and burns calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    minniesb69 wrote: »
    Steam rooms and saunas open the pores. Great for the skin. Also causes increased heart rate and improves blood circulation. It does indeed detoxify the skin and burns calories.

Yeah no... It really doesn't.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Yeah no... It really doesn't.

Second that ..... ..is it Friday already
  • minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Whaaa? Lol. Come on. This is very basic stuff. It's not the sauna itself its the act of sweating, open pores get cleared out whenever u sweat. Thats detoxing. My skin has a healthy glow after each sauna session. Body temp increase means heart rate increases...increased heart rate is increased calorie burn. It's not like im saying its a miracle worker...just the opposite, its basic biology. You wont lose more weight but there are proven benefits. I can provide credible sources if needed but I've seen no credible source disprove what I learned in middle school.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Whaaa? Lol. Come on. This is very basic stuff. It's not the sauna itself its the act of sweating, open pores get cleared out whenever u sweat. Thats detoxing. My skin has a healthy glow after each sauna session. Body temp increase means heart rate increases...increased heart rate is increased calorie burn. It's not like im saying its a miracle worker...just the opposite, its basic biology. You wont lose more weight but there are proven benefits. I can provide credible sources if needed but I've seen no credible source disprove what I learned in middle school.

No that's not basic biology but if you have credible sources by all means please post them.

ETA it's not the increased hr that burns calories, that's a secondary indication of calories burned, it's increased oxygen use that is the primary indication of calories burned. HR can increase in many cases with negligible increase in calories burned.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!