Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating before going to sleep

shadows2424
shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
My mom always fusses with me saying that i shouldnt eat after like 7 because it will make me gain weight. What's your view on this and why?

Replies

• RastaBanana92
    RastaBanana92 Posts: 6 Member
    Personally I used to think that because of my mom too, but I recently have been working weird shifts where I get off late, eat, and pass out. So far I've still been losing weight, I just make sure the meals are healthy and smallish.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Check out these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10346520/going-to-bed-hungry#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10336858/breakfast-yes-or-no#latest

Basically, meal timing does not matter. I never get home until 8:30 or after and normally eat dinner between 9 and 10 (ate at 10:30 yesterday) and easily lost weight despite that.

The main issue with eating late is if you go to bed soon after and that gives you some sort of digestive issue. It doesn't for me or many others, but it does for some.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    meal timing makes no difference, what matters is that you are in a consistent calorie deficit.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The main issue with eating late is if you go to bed soon after and that gives you some sort of digestive issue. It doesn't for me or many others, but it does for some.
    Yes, if food causes digestive upset before bed then that could impact sleep.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    i agree with all that has been said. it does not impact weight loss if you are eating at a deficit. eating before bed did use to cause digestive issues for me. i would get indigestion in the middle of the night. but now that i have lost a bit of weight that has not been a problem.
  • Numerio
    Numerio Posts: 29 Member
    Eating the RIGHT foods before bed can actually help! Slow-digesting protein like a slice or two of plain skinless chicken, or low carbs like vegetables! If you want to speed up the process, combine them!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Numerio wrote: »
    Eating the RIGHT foods before bed can actually help! Slow-digesting protein like a slice or two of plain skinless chicken, or low carbs like vegetables! If you want to speed up the process, combine them!

Speed up what process?
  • wobchunk
    wobchunk Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2016
    That's my cut off point 7pm and I must say it is working for me, plus I don't like eating to late.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Speed up what process?

The slowing down of protein digestion.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    meal timing makes no difference, what matters is that you are in a consistent calorie deficit.

This
  • queenliz99
    senecarr wrote: »

Speed up what process?

The slowing down of protein digestion.

Gotcha
  • Numerio
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

This

I'm sorry, but you're only half right! A calorie deficit IS important for losing weight, but in order to prevent feelings of resentment and self-loathing, you need to eat the right foods to keep you full, or not craving food.

I know this is all confusing, so I've created a simple formula:

Focus on protein for all your meals, start the day with lower carbs, and increase your carbs with each meal.
  • queenliz99

This

I'm sorry, but you're only half right! A calorie deficit IS important for losing weight, but in order to prevent feelings of resentment and self-loathing, you need to eat the right foods to keep you full, or not craving food.

Focus on protein for all your meals, start the day with lower carbs, and increase your carbs with each meal.

Why exactly?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

This

i have a simpler formula….Calories In VS Calories Out …

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

This

If you have feelings of resentment and self-loathing around food and diet, I'd say the problem isn't in the calorie deficit or nutrition profile.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Did you know that in many European countries a 7pm dinner is considered early?
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Why would you increase carbs with each meal? From what I understand if you're going to consider amount of carbs you'd want to start with most at the start of the day for energy purposes...and decrease as the day goes on. I'm eating low carb so either way I'm not eating many carbs.
  • Numerio
    It really depends

This

Why exactly?

Protein keeps you fuller longer, and crushes cravings! If you start the day with high amounts of carbs, you send your blood sugar spiking, increase cortisol levels AKA your stress hormone, which sends signals to the brain that it's time to store fat (primal survival instinct)!

Higher amounts of carbs later in the day, however, increases the production of melatonin, which helps our bodies sleep better!

Admittedly, I'm still ironing out the little details, but I've followed this formula daily since last February, and have lost more than 60 pounds, and now my body feels the best it ever has!
  • queenliz99
    Maybe for you but not for everyone. I eat carbs at every meal and eat after 7pm and now am in maintenance. Meal timing is a irrelevant and macros are a personal choice.
This discussion has been closed.