Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    niamibunni wrote: »
    Mmm diet coke belly fat.

What?

I think she means she likes Diet Coke and belly fat.

article-0-0EE9B85F00000578-823_634x425.jpg

Hmm what a glowing endorsement for Diet Coke...

Yes. Because I'm sure he got that big from (zero-calorie) Diet Coke.

brb photoshopping a fat dude into a picture with kale.

I'm feeling ya :lol:
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Diet soda is fine; however, the artificial sweetness and the carbonation can make you feel hungrier throughout the day, making you want to eat more. So consider that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    It doesn't do that for everyone,I would think not for many people actually.

Certainly doesnt for me so no need for me to consider that.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2016
    I drink diet coke caffeine free - 1-2litres a day. Am i losing weight? Yes. Do i feel unhealthy drinking it? No. Do I feel hungrier because I'm drinking it? No. I cannot abide plain water or adding lemon juice et al to it. I used to drink sugar free squash but thats not available where I now live. Better for me to drink that than nothing.

Edit - caffeine free cos its less gassy I find than normal diet. Thats just my preference though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    EQComics wrote: »
    Diet soda is fine; however, the artificial sweetness and the carbonation can make you feel hungrier throughout the day, making you want to eat more. So consider that.

Carbonation actually makes me feel fuller. When I have a light lunch (because I'm planning a bigger dinner), I almost always have a diet soda in the afternoon and it helps me feel satisfied and fuller until dinner.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

Carbonation actually makes me feel fuller. When I have a light lunch (because I'm planning a bigger dinner), I almost always have a diet soda in the afternoon and it helps me feel satisfied and fuller until dinner.

Isn't that something? One of the arguments against soda is that the carbonation makes you feel "temporarily full" and then once the gas moves out, you're hungry again. Yet, drinking water to feel temporarily full is a-ok, and actually encouraged to help control hunger.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Isn't that something? One of the arguments against soda is that the carbonation makes you feel "temporarily full" and then once the gas moves out, you're hungry again. Yet, drinking water to feel temporarily full is a-ok, and actually encouraged to help control hunger.

Which is one reason why I'm so skeptical about generalized claims that something will make you feel fuller or hungrier. Some people may, in fact, find their hunger increased by carbonation. But there have to be other people like me who find the opposite. People should try things for themselves and see what works.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Which is one reason why I'm so skeptical about generalized claims that something will make you feel fuller or hungrier. Some people may, in fact, find their hunger increased by carbonation. But there have to be other people like me who find the opposite. People should try things for themselves and see what works.

This is what always boggles my mind about these threads. People will make a blanket statement about having read that diet soda causes hunger or cravings for sweets or whatever, and I always want to say, "BUT DOES IT FOR YOU!?"
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    bdgfn wrote: »
    While these numbers are not huge, they are there. Diet Coke (and any diet drink) may not have sugar, but they do have an artificial sweetener of some sort, some of which have been tied to cancer-causing ingredients.

Come on man.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This is what always boggles my mind about these threads. People will make a blanket statement about having read that diet soda causes hunger or cravings for sweets or whatever, and I always want to say, "BUT DOES IT FOR YOU!?"

Exactly this.

And similarly I think it's weird when someone argues that something makes people in general hungry or not hungry. I think I know what makes me hungry or not.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    I love my Diet Coke. Low sodium, less than 95% of the foods I eat. And the bubbles help fill me up. And I LOVE my Diet Coke. Lol.
  • dalielahdawn
    Though I only one or two every few days.
  • dalielahdawn
    The corrosion stuff....oj is more corrosive. As are most beverages.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    I facepalmed all the way through that that huffpost article then saw it was by Hyman. No wonder.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Welp, I was about to click on it but now I know there is nothing of value to be found.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Well, FWIW, I wouldn't bathe in diet coke.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    hhtafran wrote: »
    Diet soda has Aspartame in it which is unhealthy. If you drink a diet drink it should be sweetened with stevia like crystal light pure!!!

You do realize most flavors of crystal light also contains aspartame, right?
  • mikek7214
    mikek7214 Posts: 29 Member
    Besides the chemicals, phosphoric acid can contribute to enamel breakdown and possibly contribute to osteoporosis in the long run.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Amazingly I met my weight loss goals without doing this "To help you with your weight loss goals, join us for a sneak peek of The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook" as recomended at end of that article. Didn't click link but I bet it wasn't free.

I drank diet sodas usually a few cans a week too.

Must be a special snowflake, me.