Replies

• niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mmm diet coke belly fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Read the label. Diet coke isn't actually 0 calories.

<5 per serving, so at the worst 70 calories per gallon.

Yeah I know it's not much but no one else mentioned it and if you drink a lot over the course of a year it can add up.

I mentioned it in the 7th reply of this thread.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    Mmm diet coke belly fat.

What?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Mmm diet coke belly fat.

What?

I think it was supposed to say "mmmm, wooooo".
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Mmm diet coke belly fat.

What?

I think it was supposed to say "mmmm, wooooo".

That is what I thought too. We are on the same page.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Interbeing wrote: »
    There are a lot of reasons not to drink diet sodas, or any sodas on a regular basis. There are a number of peer reviewed studies out now that have shown that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain and is associated with an increased risk of type 2.
    https://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

Also that's not how weight gain works even.

For those that like their smile, the citric acid found in sodas weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time.
    As does the citric acid in... citrus fruits. Or malic acid from apples. Many fruits are acidic really. Don't hear anyone telling you to stay away from them for your teeth's sake. Because dental hygiene exists.
    Researchers have also found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. And, not to pile on, a recent study conducted by the University of Miami and Columbia University found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none.
    Was it? Links? But really, since already your first "there are studies..." thing was wrong I'm not looking forward to it.

Cleveland Clinic article that basically says that coffee and soda CAN lower your bone density because people don't drink milk too. Phosphoric acid in sodas (not chicken or certain cheeses) leaches calcium from the bones so you need to balance the sodas with milk or calcium supplements (mainly for women).

National Osteoporosis Foundation article states that high consumption of caffeine can cause bone problems if you do not supplement it with enough calcium. The article also states that phosphoric acid can interfere with calcium absorption, so it recommends moderation with sodas and caffeinated beverages and 1000mg calcium for people under 50 and 1200mg calcium for people over 50.

The American Jounal of Clinical Nutrition states that sodas crowd out other healthier beverages and also contain both caffeine and phosphoric acid which can be deleterious to bone health, especially in women.

The sources have a lot of "might"s and "could"s. A major problem with this type of study is that it's all based on correlation, which won't prove causation. It could be, as posited, that cola drinkers, as a group, consume less milk. It could be that those who never drink cola are more health focused in general, including exercising more. It could be that something in the cola actually promotes osteoporosis. It's just very hard to draw any conclusions from the kinds of studies that have been done.

Yes, that was the point. These are the pitfalls (not drinking enough milk or ingesting too much caffeine) and they should be avoided since the research hasn't definitively shown that sodas cause bone density problems. The person before asked for studies, so I provided them. =)

Sure, but those are separate considerations. It's like saying a diet of nothing but water and saltine crackers leads to malnutrition and then claiming that this is one of the pitfalls of consuming water because water is so low in nutrients and therefore we all should be careful and watch our water intake. It's a non sequitur.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    There are a lot of reasons not to drink diet sodas, or any sodas on a regular basis. There are a number of peer reviewed studies out now that have shown that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain and is associated with an increased risk of type 2.

For those that like their smile, the citric acid found in sodas weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time.
    As does the citric acid in... citrus fruits. Or malic acid from apples. Many fruits are acidic really. Don't hear anyone telling you to stay away from them for your teeth's sake. Because dental hygiene exists.
    Researchers have also found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. And, not to pile on, a recent study conducted by the University of Miami and Columbia University found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none.
    Was it? Links? But really, since already your first "there are studies..." thing was wrong I'm not looking forward to it.

Cleveland Clinic article that basically says that coffee and soda CAN lower your bone density because people don't drink milk too. Phosphoric acid in sodas (not chicken or certain cheeses) leaches calcium from the bones so you need to balance the sodas with milk or calcium supplements (mainly for women).

National Osteoporosis Foundation article states that high consumption of caffeine can cause bone problems if you do not supplement it with enough calcium. The article also states that phosphoric acid can interfere with calcium absorption, so it recommends moderation with sodas and caffeinated beverages and 1000mg calcium for people under 50 and 1200mg calcium for people over 50.

The American Jounal of Clinical Nutrition states that sodas crowd out other healthier beverages and also contain both caffeine and phosphoric acid which can be deleterious to bone health, especially in women.

The sources have a lot of "might"s and "could"s. A major problem with this type of study is that it's all based on correlation, which won't prove causation. It could be, as posited, that cola drinkers, as a group, consume less milk. It could be that those who never drink cola are more health focused in general, including exercising more. It could be that something in the cola actually promotes osteoporosis. It's just very hard to draw any conclusions from the kinds of studies that have been done.

Yes, that was the point. These are the pitfalls (not drinking enough milk or ingesting too much caffeine) and they should be avoided since the research hasn't definitively shown that sodas cause bone density problems. The person before asked for studies, so I provided them. =)

Sure, but those are separate considerations. It's like saying a diet of nothing but water and saltine crackers leads to malnutrition and then claiming that this is one of the pitfalls of consuming water because water is so low in nutrients and therefore we all should be careful and watch our water intake. It's a non sequitur.

For what it's worth, I rarely drink milk whether I'm drinking soda or not. I lose my taste for soda now and then and go a few weeks without it, but I'm not guzzling milk in the meantime. There's just nothing about it that appeals to me.
  • zbakrjc
    zbakrjc Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

Cleveland Clinic article that basically says that coffee and soda CAN lower your bone density because people don't drink milk too. Phosphoric acid I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg in sodas (not chicken or certain cheeses) leaches calcium from the bones so you need to balance the sodas with milk or calcium supplements (mainly for women).

I've read some similar disclaimers about drinking bottled water vs tap water since bottled water doesn't typically have fluorine added. They're worried we'll all have bad teeth from not drinking enough fluoridated water. That doesn't mean that drinking bottled water is bad for you.

zbakrjc
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Read the label. Diet coke isn't actually 0 calories.

<5 per serving, so at the worst 70 calories per gallon.

Sounds like a challenge. I accept.

giphy.gif

• robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    same goes for water vs light beer right? light beer is like 98% water right
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    robbyf1971 wrote: »

Didn't realize there were zero calorie light beers.

Alcohol changes the narrative too. The body "sees" alcohol as a poison and will give priority to oxidizing it over other macronutrients.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

No, because light beer has calories.
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    just trying to be funny
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    just trying to be funny

Sorry :(. Judging from the way this thread went, there comes a point where you just can't tell anymore!
  • Rayvis1014
    Rayvis1014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have found my people! *cracks open a diet Coke*
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke doesn't make me break out in hives. It doesn't give me terrible headaches or heartburn. It doesn't make me eat more (I track my calories) and it doesn't make me more hungry. If it did, I would stop drinking it. I don't drink a ton of it, but when I'm craving sugar and I don't want to blow my calories for the day, it nips my sugar craving in the bud. I also drink lots of water. If I had to live on a desert island and choose only Diet Coke or only water, I would choose water. But I don't live on that island, so cheers!
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Mmm diet coke belly fat.

What?

I think she means she likes Diet Coke and belly fat.

article-0-0EE9B85F00000578-823_634x425.jpg
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Inorganic phosphates, artificial colorings, chemically produced caffeine, artificial sweeteners...... they may all be benign, but I'll stick with water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mmm diet coke belly fat.

What?

Hmm what a glowing endorsement for Diet Coke...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mmm diet coke belly fat.

What?

Hmm what a glowing endorsement for Diet Coke...

Yes. Because I'm sure he got that big from (zero-calorie) Diet Coke.

brb photoshopping a fat dude into a picture with kale.