Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options
So if I'm going by the Calories In/Calories Out method then it's all the same..no?

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Yes

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Yep. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love my diet pop/soda!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Essentially.

I do drink 1 or 2 sodas a day. I don't think diet soda is horrible, but all things in moderation for me. Having something "sweet" tasting all day long, might not be a good strategy.

I keep a Brita water pitcher in the fridge (home & work) I'll chug that when I'm thirsty.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, if I go a long time without diet soda, and then I drink it, I retain water like crazy. I don't know why.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes. However, if I go a long time without diet soda, and then I drink it, I retain water like crazy. I don't know why.

Sodium? 40mg per can. Doesn't seem like a lot, but maybe enough to throw off your particular levels?

ETA: OP - as long as your calorie count doesn't increase, it won't matter from a weight loss perspective. I'm sure your dentist would probably have a good argument for water instead of diet soda.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To be clear, while very minimal, Diet Coke is not 0 calories.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    from calorie perspective sure.. but even with calories not all are as healthy as others..
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    from calorie perspective sure.. but even with calories not all are as healthy as others..

So, would the calories in 0 calorie water be more or less healthy than the calories in 0 calorie soda?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Neither water or zero calorie drinks affect how many calories you are consuming in a day. I enjoy both. I had two glasses of water before I left home, a chai tea with artificial sweetener when I got to work, and I've finished another half-bottle of water. I woke up dehydrated so I am paying more attention.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Yes you are correct.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options

So, would the calories in 0 calorie water be more or less healthy than the calories in 0 calorie soda?

haha ok obviously I didn't put that right.
  • KimberlynMcConville
    Options
    Although they both offer zero calories, water will always be the healthier alternative. Try to get in the habit of only drinking water!!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Although they both offer zero calories, water will always be the healthier alternative. Try to get in the habit of only drinking water!!

Citation needed
  • kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's the same but it's not the same on your intestines. I don't eat fast food but it's like me saying that if I eat a burger from mc Donald's of 500+ calories than its the same as if I was to eat my wild caught fish burrito of 500+ calories. Calories are the same bit ingredients are definitely not. Remember, you are what you eat. Always enjoy your meals spiritualy and physically
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    As far as your calorie loss goes, its the same thing. But as far as health benefits go, I know I never feel great after drinking diet coke for a few days. The fake sugar makes my kidneys hurt and I retain a TON of water. Everything is good in moderation, and while weight loss is all CICO, never forget to be nice to your body either :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    It's the same but it's not the same on your intestines. I don't eat fast food but it's like me saying that if I eat a burger from mc Donald's of 500+ calories than its the same as if I was to eat my wild caught fish burrito of 500+ calories. Calories are the same bit ingredients are definitely not. Remember, you are what you eat. Always enjoy your meals spiritualy and physically

Your body has no "fast food detector". Everything you eat simply gets taken apart into its components.
    The burger is starch carbs from the bun, some fiber and sugars from the lettuce, tomatos etc. protein and fat from the meat, some sugar and whatever from the sauce.
    The burrito has starch carbs from the wrap thing, some fiber and sugars from whatever veggies are in it, protein and fat from the fish, if there's sauce in it sugar and stuff.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kingkam21 wrote: »

I drink diet soda pretty often. I find it as spiritually and physically pleasing as water.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Well I guess then what is the argument that Diet soda is soooo unhealthy?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Well I guess then what is the argument that Diet soda is soooo unhealthy?

Are you asking why some people argue that diet soda is unhealthy?