Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Water always is better than any sodas... period.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

Mainstream media interpretation of rat studies. Right.

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    For calorie counting purposes I count them both as 0, but I don't count soda towards my water intake. I feel pretty confident saying that the two clearly do not have the same effect on your body, but everything in moderation and all that. I drink diet soda a couple of times a week. In a perfect world I'd drink it less but my diet is far from perfect.

What "different effects" do you imagine they have (apart from caffeine)

I get bad heart burn when I drink too much soda. I used to sometimes get it from other things but diet soda was by far the biggest individual culprit. It also makes me sluggish and I always want to kick myself when I drink too much of it when I'm going to the gym later.

I'm sure all artificial sweeteners have some problematic effects and I know it wouldn't kill me to stop putting Splenda in my coffee. But I think with soda it's more about the acid or carbonation because I don't have the same problem with Splenda or sweeteners in other situations that I've had with diet soda.

That said... I still drink it sometimes. I'm not disciplined or motivated enough to really be good at the whole clean eating thing.
  • KevannC
    KevannC Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to do calories in/out then you will definitely lose weight. You may however be making it a little bit harder to stick to your alotted calories for the day. When you drink diet coke for instance, the sweet taste triggers your brain to release dopamine, which triggers the reward center of your brain. Leptin is also released which is your appetite hormone. However, when you consume something that tastes sweet but doesn't contain any calories, your brain's pleasure pathway still gets activated by the sweet taste, but there's nothing to deactivate it, since the calories never arrive. Thus, you get cravings for carbs.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

I suggest reading this article. Not just for diet coke, but also for all artificial sweeteners. Do you really want to put chemicals in your body like that though which could also cause tumors like one previous poster said as well? My mom drank maybe 4 or more bottles of 20oz diet coke a day for probably 10+ years. She had a tumor on her thyroid which had to be removed. Now im not saying its because of the diet coke, but its just a little scary. Theres no history of cancer in our family.

All in all I have only had maybe 3 sodas in the last 1.5 years. I only drink water or unsweetened iced tea otherwise. But if you have to, create balance with it. From my experience, soda DOES NOT taste worse after 3 months or more like some people say lol. I hadnt had any soda for maybe 9 months and let me tell you it was the best damn thing ive ever sipped before. Despite that, I choose not to drink it because of the chemicals.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx
  • ald783
    Options
    And I'm not trying to tell everyone soda is the devil. I'm sure it's not the worst substance I put in my body by a long shot. But it seems silly to act like water and diet soda are the same thing across the board. You don't have to believe every study out there but surely most people would agree that artificial sweeteners and soda in general aren't going to have your body operating as efficiently or as healthily as water.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of water and I feel like crap after any type of soda. That's my scientific knowledge on the subject. As you can see...it is legit. Haha.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    KevannC wrote: »
    If you truly want to do calories in/out then you will definitely lose weight. You may however be making it a little bit harder to stick to your alotted calories for the day. When you drink diet coke for instance, the sweet taste triggers your brain to release dopamine, which triggers the reward center of your brain. Leptin is also released which is your appetite hormone. However, when you consume something that tastes sweet but doesn't contain any calories, your brain's pleasure pathway still gets activated by the sweet taste, but there's nothing to deactivate it, since the calories never arrive. Thus, you get cravings for carbs.

I suggest reading this article. Not just for diet coke, but also for all artificial sweeteners. Do you really want to put chemicals in your body like that though which could also cause tumors like one previous poster said as well? My mom drank maybe 4 or more bottles of 20oz diet coke a day for probably 10+ years. She had a tumor on her thyroid which had to be removed. Now im not saying its because of the diet coke, but its just a little scary. Theres no history of cancer in our family.

All in all I have only had maybe 3 sodas in the last 1.5 years. I only drink water or unsweetened iced tea otherwise. But if you have to, create balance with it. From my experience, soda DOES NOT taste worse after 3 months or more like some people say lol. I hadnt had any soda for maybe 9 months and let me tell you it was the best damn thing ive ever sipped before. Despite that, I choose not to drink it because of the chemicals.

My 15 ducks don't quack as much as Mercola
  • ald783
    Options
    Burger2066 wrote: »
    I drink a ton of water and I feel like crap after any type of soda. That's my scientific knowledge on the subject. As you can see...it is legit. Haha.

Yep, pretty much this. I know there are a million studies, various research, plenty of things doctors have said over the years about diet soda and artificial sweeteners, but really the only thing I ever cared about or that finally curbed my Diet Coke intake was how it made me feel.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I drink diet soda to AVOID cravings, it never makes me crave anything. I have never had a problem eating too many sweets, and I have been drinking regular soda and diet soda on and off my whole life.

Artificial sweeteners are some of the most tested ingredients out there, and have been in use for decades. You can find one study that will show you just about anything. The vast majority of studies show no correlation between artificial sweeteners and all the crazy things people say they cause.

I agree you shouldn't overdo it, but you shouldn't overdo ANYTHING. And obviously, if it makes you feel bad, don't drink it.

And Mercola is a quack. He sells stuff, and makes sure his readers are scared enough to buy it.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In recent research, they said if you drink diet cola, you will actually eat MORE food than if you had water. It creates more hunger.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I suggest you stop reading anything from that site.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Do you really want to put chemicals in your body like that though which could also cause tumors like one previous poster said as well?

Stop putting chemicals in your body for a full 3 minutes and you'll die. You gotta breathe, man!

Hint: Everything is chemicals.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Do you really want to put chemicals in your body like that though which could also cause tumors like one previous poster said as well?

Stop putting chemicals in your body for a full 3 minutes and you'll die. You gotta breathe, man!

Hint: Everything is chemicals.

That's what Monsanto wants you to believe.
  • badcompany_78
    badcompany_78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    even though they are both 0 calories, water will be accepted better by your body then all the chemicals in diet soda.. Aspartame is a real killer... it causes problems in the way your body functions, which in turn makes it harder to loose weight.
    try flavoring your water with fruits and looks for healthier options like "Honest orange fizz" or Honest Lemon fizz"
    they don't have any artificial stuff in them. :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    even though they are both 0 calories, water will be accepted better by your body then all the chemicals in diet soda.. Aspartame is a real killer... it causes problems in the way your body functions, which in turn makes it harder to loose weight.
    try flavoring your water with fruits and looks for healthier options like "Honest orange fizz" or Honest Lemon fizz"
    they don't have any artificial stuff in them. :)

Do you know what aspartame is?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Lol at Mercola as a source.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Comparing calories to calories = 0 it's all the same. Just don't do too much googling on the artificial sweetener in the Diet Coke. That will scare you.

There's a lot of fearmongering on the Googles.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

^^I just want to quote this link again, since so many people are repeating the same lines without reading anything that's been posted. Your body knows what to do with aspartame and other artificial sweeteners just fine. If it didn't, they'd pass harmlessly through your body rather than being stored as fat.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    CICO wise there's very little between them, but has anyone ever looked at the ingredients list and thought they would be even vaguely health giving? I used to drink it thinking it was a great way to get sweetness without the calories but I've since learned that it's better to retrain your taste buds so that you don't crave it to start with.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    For calorie counting purposes I count them both as 0, but I don't count soda towards my water intake. I feel pretty confident saying that the two clearly do not have the same effect on your body, but everything in moderation and all that. I drink diet soda a couple of times a week. In a perfect world I'd drink it less but my diet is far from perfect.

What "different effects" do you imagine they have (apart from caffeine)

I get bad heart burn when I drink too much soda. I used to sometimes get it from other things but diet soda was by far the biggest individual culprit. It also makes me sluggish and I always want to kick myself when I drink too much of it when I'm going to the gym later.

I'm sure all artificial sweeteners have some problematic effects and I know it wouldn't kill me to stop putting Splenda in my coffee. But I think with soda it's more about the acid or carbonation because I don't have the same problem with Splenda or sweeteners in other situations that I've had with diet soda.

That said... I still drink it sometimes. I'm not disciplined or motivated enough to really be good at the whole clean eating thing.

If something gives you heartburn, then it's probably best for you if you avoid it. That doesn't mean that it's bad for someone else.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Water, carbonation, caramel coloring, sweeteners(sodium cyclamate, Ace K, aspartame), phosphoric acid, caffeine, natural flavors.

Anyone who can point out what of those things is somehow bad for you and how with proper sources for any claims may speak now or forever hold their silence.