Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Both zero calories but Diet Coke has a bit of sodium, chemicals and caffeine.

They are not the same.

Water is a chemical
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes yes @queenliz99 , I guess I meant the aspartame in Diet Coke.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Both zero calories but Diet Coke has a bit of sodium, chemicals and caffeine.

They are not the same.

Water is a chemical

And my tap water contains chemicals... :):#

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Comparing calories to calories = 0 it's all the same. Just don't do too much googling on the artificial sweetener in the Diet Coke. That will scare you.

There's a lot of fearmongering on the Googles.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Once again.

• joegibbs2112
    joegibbs2112 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, if I go a long time without diet soda, and then I drink it, I retain water like crazy. I don't know why.

• joegibbs2112
    joegibbs2112 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Caffeine in the soda does not in itself cause water retention, it is a diuretic. It is perfectly possible to retain water however due to being dehydrated from drinking too many caffeine containing drinks and not enough water. Sounds counter-intuitive but not drinking enough water will make the body go into a dehydration mode where it tries to retain what it has.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Caffeine in the soda does not in itself cause water retention, it is a diuretic. It is perfectly possible to retain water however due to being dehydrated from drinking too many caffeine containing drinks and not enough water. Sounds counter-intuitive but not drinking enough water will make the body go into a dehydration mode where it tries to retain what it has.

There is not nearly enough caffeine in soda to have this effect. You have to drink quite a large amount of caffeine at once for the diuretic effect to cause any dehydration.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    @tincanonastring I thought you were banned or something. Long time no see.

I think everyone should stop worrying about it and we should all just have a damn beer.

Lol. No, I'm still around, just not posting as much.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Wrong.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618
    "caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health. Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention."

• m27un
    m27un Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    So if I'm going by the Calories In/Calories Out method then it's all the same..no?

Yeah if you wanna risk aspartame dissolving your brain :(
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    m27un wrote: »
    So if I'm going by the Calories In/Calories Out method then it's all the same..no?

*sigh*

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Doesn't anybody read the threads?
  • AnvilHead
    Options

*sigh*

Doesn't anybody read the threads?

Fearmongering, old wives' tales and pseudoscience are far stronger than actual science for many.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    For calorie counting purposes I count them both as 0, but I don't count soda towards my water intake. I feel pretty confident saying that the two clearly do not have the same effect on your body, but everything in moderation and all that. I drink diet soda a couple of times a week. In a perfect world I'd drink it less but my diet is far from perfect.

What "different effects" do you imagine they have (apart from caffeine)

Water's effects on the body:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908954/

TLDR: Water helps our body maintain fluid balances (this affects all parts of the body from our brain to our skin) and helps us maintain body temperature (sweating). Water is the single most important nutrient despite it not being considered "food".

Diet soda's effects on the body:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/diet-soda/faq-20057855

TLDR: The Mayo Clinic states that one or two in a day is not harmful and that it can save you calories. But it urges the reader to choose healthier choices such as water, skim milk, or unsweetened tea.

A pharmacist's attack on diet soda:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/what-diet-coke-your-body-6191713

TLDR: Niraj Naik, a pharmacist who runs a blog, is quoted about his experience seeing patients still struggling with the same metabolic problems even after they switched to diet soda. He details the body's response to the different compounds in the soda, citing research that shows the detrimental effects: destroys enamel, triggers your body to store fat, can cause addiction, interferes with the appetite-regulating hormone leptin which can make you more hungry. Marisa Peer, a behavioral psychologist and expert on eating disorders, reiterated that diet sodas interfere with leptin, making one hungry after drinking it. She also stated that they are not good for losing weight or for your overall health.

• AnvilHead
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TLDR: Niraj Naik, a pharmacist who runs a blog, is quoted about his experience seeing patients still struggling with the same metabolic problems even after they switched to diet soda. He details the body's response to the different compounds in the soda, citing research that shows the detrimental effects: destroys enamel, triggers your body to store fat, can cause addiction, interferes with the appetite-regulating hormone leptin which can make you more hungry. Marisa Peer, a behavioral psychologist and expert on eating disorders, reiterated that diet sodas interfere with leptin, making one hungry after drinking it. She also stated that they are not good for losing weight or for your overall health.

So we have a blogging pharmacist and a behavioral psychologist who state that soda is bad for you.

1) Pharmacists don't "see patients". Doctors "see patients". Pharmacists dispense prescriptions. And the infographic he created, which is posted in that blog, is laughably full of woo and misinformation. Much of which has been scientifically disproven, and he offers no studies to back the (mis)information/fearmongering he posits.

2) The psychologist lists a long list of 'feelz', uncorroborated by any peer-reviewed studies. Just feelz. The only "research" linked to is an epidemiological study which can't even distinguish between correlation and causation.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    It's the same but it's not the same on your intestines. I don't eat fast food but it's like me saying that if I eat a burger from mc Donald's of 500+ calories than its the same as if I was to eat my wild caught fish burrito of 500+ calories. Calories are the same bit ingredients are definitely not. Remember, you are what you eat. Always enjoy your meals spiritualy and physically

Your body has no "fast food detector". Everything you eat simply gets taken apart into its components.
    The burger is starch carbs from the bun, some fiber and sugars from the lettuce, tomatos etc. protein and fat from the meat, some sugar and whatever from the sauce.
    The burrito has starch carbs from the wrap thing, some fiber and sugars from whatever veggies are in it, protein and fat from the fish, if there's sauce in it sugar and stuff.

While it's true that the body breaks things down, that does not mean that they will be broken down into the same nutrients. Bread is good example of a food that differs wildly from one place to the next as well as from one brand to another.

I think that what stevencloser was trying to point out is that two things can equal the same in calories but not the same in nutrients when you break them down. There are so many factors to consider that you cannot only compare calories. You need to look at the nutrients in the food as well. Choosing something that is nutrient dense (ratio of nutrients to calories is high) is a much wiser choice in the long run.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    It's the same but it's not the same on your intestines. I don't eat fast food but it's like me saying that if I eat a burger from mc Donald's of 500+ calories than its the same as if I was to eat my wild caught fish burrito of 500+ calories. Calories are the same bit ingredients are definitely not. Remember, you are what you eat. Always enjoy your meals spiritualy and physically

Your body has no "fast food detector". Everything you eat simply gets taken apart into its components.
    The burger is starch carbs from the bun, some fiber and sugars from the lettuce, tomatos etc. protein and fat from the meat, some sugar and whatever from the sauce.
    The burrito has starch carbs from the wrap thing, some fiber and sugars from whatever veggies are in it, protein and fat from the fish, if there's sauce in it sugar and stuff.

While it's true that the body breaks things down, that does not mean that they will be broken down into the same nutrients. Bread is good example of a food that differs wildly from one place to the next as well as from one brand to another.

I think that what stevencloser was trying to point out is that two things can equal the same in calories but not the same in nutrients when you break them down. There are so many factors to consider that you cannot only compare calories. You need to look at the nutrients in the food as well. Choosing something that is nutrient dense (ratio of nutrients to calories is high) is a much wiser choice in the long run.

Taking the entire diet into context rather than an individual meal/food, of course.

Because context and dosage matter.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options

wlq73wc4ktdu.jpg

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    CICO wise there's very little between them, but has anyone ever looked at the ingredients list and thought they would be even vaguely health giving? I used to drink it thinking it was a great way to get sweetness without the calories but I've since learned that it's better to retrain your taste buds so that you don't crave it to start with.

Then don't eat eggs! They're full of chemicals!

eggchemicals_zpsad660b45.jpg
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It kills me when people trot out the "aspartame is the devil, use stevia " line.

The number of studies on the safety of aspartame are orders of magnitude higher than that of stevia.

And stevia may cause decreased fertility in male rats. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10619379
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Comparing calories to calories = 0 it's all the same. Just don't do too much googling on the artificial sweetener in the Diet Coke. That will scare you.

There's a lot of fearmongering on the Googles.

Once again.

Exactly. Don't believe everything you read on the Googles. https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

"Conclusion

Aspartame is a highly studied food additive with decades of research showing that it is safe for human consumption. As expected, the research is complex making it possible to cherry pick and misinterpret individual studies in order to fear monger. But the totality of research, reviewed by many independent agencies and expert panels, supports the safety of aspartame.

A conspiracy to hide the risks of aspartame, however, remains a popular internet urban legend that will likely not disappear anytime soon."