Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Leave to the grocery store and the thread has went full quackadoodle...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    sebedina wrote: »
    In recent research, they said if you drink diet cola, you will actually eat MORE food than if you had water. It creates more hunger.

I am always intrigued when this claim is trotted out. I've been drinking diet coke for 25+ years. I drank it when I was a pre-pubescent sub 100 lb high school freshman, when I was putting on weight during and after college, drank it while I lost weight, and drink it now that I'm maintaining. One thing I have never observed in my n=1 study is that I am suddenly tempted to eat two Big Macs instead of one, or that I have insatiable hunger for any other food item.

Where does this claim come from exactly?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Leave to the grocery store and the thread has went full quackadoodle...

Don't forget the full potato!
  • hhtafran
    hhtafran Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has Aspartame in it which is unhealthy. If you drink a diet drink it should be sweetened with stevia like crystal light pure!!!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    hhtafran wrote: »
    Diet soda has Aspartame in it which is unhealthy. If you drink a diet drink it should be sweetened with stevia like crystal light pure!!!

Source?
  • hhtafran
    Options
    There are A Lot of Great alternatives such as the flavored waters!!!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

I think he mean source as in citation needed. Not where to get it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Most of the flavored waters that I've seen contain aspartame.

Which is actually a moot point because aspartame is essentially harmless.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    It kills me when people trot out the "aspartame is the devil, use stevia " line.

The number of studies on the safety of aspartame are orders of magnitude higher than that of stevia.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You would have to pry my diet coke from my cold dead hands before I ever give it up...... If aspartame is going to kill me, it's had thirty years to do its best.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    It kills me when people trot out the "aspartame is the devil, use stevia " line.

The number of studies on the safety of aspartame are orders of magnitude higher than that of stevia.

And dare I say that none of them show negative impacts?
  • hhtafran
    Options
    Then why did they Just take Aspartame out of Pepsi
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

But stevia is ~~natural~~, which means it is good for you by definition. You know, like fly amanita, belladonna and hemlock.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options

Why is Aspartame any more or less unhealthy than any other artificial sweetener?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Because people like you exist.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

For marketing, so more gullible people would buy it instead of Coke.

• amandajpiper
    amandajpiper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Calories may be the same. BUT that diet soda WILL trick your brain into making insulin (due to sweetness) and, of course, contribute to weight gain. That's only the tip of the iceberg of issues I have with diet sodas :/

Check out that documentary "Fed Up". As cheesy as this sounds, it changed my life!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Consumer pressure from people who've heard from someone who told them that aspartame was bad. The same reason Panera now markets their restaurant as "clean eating" and Lays makes baked chips. They can make more money by branding their competitors as bad.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Calories may be the same. BUT that diet soda WILL trick your brain into making insulin (due to sweetness) and, of course, contribute to weight gain. That's only the tip of the iceberg of issues I have with diet sodas :/

Check out that documentary "Fed Up". As cheesy as this sounds, it changed my life!

No and no.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

But stevia is ~~natural~~, which means it is good for you by definition. You know, like fly amanita, belladonna and hemlock.

Mmmm, hemlock. It kills you naturally, which means it's okay!