Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    CICO wise there's very little between them, but has anyone ever looked at the ingredients list and thought they would be even vaguely health giving? I used to drink it thinking it was a great way to get sweetness without the calories but I've since learned that it's better to retrain your taste buds so that you don't crave it to start with.

Then don't eat eggs! They're full of chemicals!

eggchemicals_zpsad660b45.jpg

OMG!

CHEMIKILLS
  • 365daystofitgirl
    365daystofitgirl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Diet soda increases appetite
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Nope, I haven't found that to be true.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Maybe for some people.

It doesn't for me.

So I drink it.

If you find it causes problems for you, don't drink it. But don't use your own experience to make blanket assertions.
  • civpro1
    civpro1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Zero is zero, I think it is like anything, all things in moderation. I like diet soda pop, and I try to drink at least 64 ounces of water too.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet sodas because they contain a lot of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)

In case you didn't know about the dangers of DHMO.

Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    Contributes to soil erosion.
    Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
    Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
    Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I don't drink diet sodas because they contain a lot of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO)

In case you didn't know about the dangers of DHMO.

Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    Contributes to soil erosion.
    Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
    Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
    Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

+1
  • Ani2bfit
    Ani2bfit Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know that the artificial sweetener in diet soda is not good for ur body. I like drinking water with fresh lemon juice.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Is anyone even reading the thread at this point?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Ani2bfit wrote: »
    I know that the artificial sweetener in diet soda is not good for ur body. I like drinking water with fresh lemon juice.

*facepalm*
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How do you "know" that?
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Isn't most sweeteners made up of 2 amino acids? I'm quite sure that makes it pretty safe
  • robs_ready
    Options
    KevannC wrote: »
    If you truly want to do calories in/out then you will definitely lose weight. You may however be making it a little bit harder to stick to your alotted calories for the day. When you drink diet coke for instance, the sweet taste triggers your brain to release dopamine, which triggers the reward center of your brain. Leptin is also released which is your appetite hormone. However, when you consume something that tastes sweet but doesn't contain any calories, your brain's pleasure pathway still gets activated by the sweet taste, but there's nothing to deactivate it, since the calories never arrive. Thus, you get cravings for carbs.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

I suggest reading this article. Not just for diet coke, but also for all artificial sweeteners. Do you really want to put chemicals in your body like that though which could also cause tumors like one previous poster said as well? My mom drank maybe 4 or more bottles of 20oz diet coke a day for probably 10+ years. She had a tumor on her thyroid which had to be removed. Now im not saying its because of the diet coke, but its just a little scary. Theres no history of cancer in our family.

All in all I have only had maybe 3 sodas in the last 1.5 years. I only drink water or unsweetened iced tea otherwise. But if you have to, create balance with it. From my experience, soda DOES NOT taste worse after 3 months or more like some people say lol. I hadnt had any soda for maybe 9 months and let me tell you it was the best damn thing ive ever sipped before. Despite that, I choose not to drink it because of the chemicals.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

Quackery
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My favorite woo thread by far.
  • robs_ready
    Options

Technically fresh lemon could be 'bad' for your body if your sensitive to acidic foods.
  • rsngmn
    rsngmn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All the references are listed at the bottom of the page, you may enjoy diet drinks and treats with aspartame etc. but don't say that it's healthy or it has no effect on our health, it's more dangerous than sugar...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/10/01/artificial-sweeteners-raise-diabetes-risk.aspx
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Is anyone even reading the thread at this point?

It appears not.
    I'm not surprised.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    rsngmn wrote: »
    All the references are listed at the bottom of the page, you may enjoy diet drinks and treats with aspartame etc. but don't say that it's healthy or it has no effect on our health, it's more dangerous than sugar...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/10/01/artificial-sweeteners-raise-diabetes-risk.aspx

You know that mercola is on of the biggest spreaders of woo around right?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rsngmn wrote: »

Mercola is an AIDS denialist who thinks sunscreen gives you cancer. I don't think I'm going to stop drinking soda on the advice of someone who also thinks microwaves are dangerous.