Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Well I guess then what is the argument that Diet soda is soooo unhealthy?

People fear mongering mostly based on a chain email from the 80s or 90s.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's not really an argument. It's fear mongering and information from Cosmo on one side, and science on the other...

Diet Soda is fine in moderation.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's not really an argument. It's fear mongering and information from Cosmo on one side, and science on the other...

^^^ That.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I find it as spiritually and physically pleasing as water.

I feel the same about regular Pepsi and peanut butter.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I find it as spiritually and physically pleasing as water.

I feel the same about regular Pepsi and peanut butter.

Peanut butter is a spiritual experience for me.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

^^^ That.

Yep. I think there have been some studies recently that point towards a possible carcinogenic effect of caramel colouring (found in dark sodas, both diet and regular), but as you can see from the link below it's not worth panicking over at this point:

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-and-institutes/johns-hopkins-center-for-a-livable-future/news-room/News-Releases/2015/Caramel-Color-in-Soft-Drinks-and-Exposure-to-4-Methylimidazole.html

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen those videos where they por Reg. Coke on a car battery and it eats away the corrosion? -that's a little pass fear mongering....WIll Diet coke do they same thing, just eat our insides out.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    For calorie counting purposes I count them both as 0, but I don't count soda towards my water intake. I feel pretty confident saying that the two clearly do not have the same effect on your body, but everything in moderation and all that. I drink diet soda a couple of times a week. In a perfect world I'd drink it less but my diet is far from perfect.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen those videos where they por Reg. Coke on a car battery and it eats away the corrosion? -that's a little pass fear mongering....WIll Diet coke do they same thing, just eat our insides out.

Our stomach acids are much more corrosive than Coke... That logic doesn't work.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    For calorie counting purposes I count them both as 0, but I don't count soda towards my water intake. I feel pretty confident saying that the two clearly do not have the same effect on your body, but everything in moderation and all that. I drink diet soda a couple of times a week. In a perfect world I'd drink it less but my diet is far from perfect.

What "different effects" do you imagine they have (apart from caffeine)
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Fear mongering is exactly what it is.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have kicked diet pepsi out of my life for good. I drank 2-4 litres of it daily for about 25 years. I am glad to be free and feel great. I now drink 2+ litres of water daily.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Comparing calories to calories = 0 it's all the same. Just don't do too much googling on the artificial sweetener in the Diet Coke. That will scare you.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    However, my black coffee isn't counted by MFP as water. I once asked the company nurse if daily water consumption recommendations could be satisfied with black coffee. She answered that she'd never heard of that being scientifically determined.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Comparing calories to calories = 0 it's all the same. Just don't do too much googling on the artificial sweetener in the Diet Coke. That will scare you.

There's a lot of fearmongering on the Googles.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Have you seen what happens when you pour water+baking soda on a car battery? The corrosion is eaten away. Are you going to stop drinking water and eating bread?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @tincanonastring I thought you were banned or something. Long time no see.

I think everyone should stop worrying about it and we should all just have a damn beer.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    stay away from pop in general but diet pop is worse for you than the regular pop... the chemicals .. the body cannot break down those chemicals properly.. and it causes a lot of problems for people. I was having a serious coca cola problem a few decades ago.. I switched to caffeine free diet coke. started breaking out in hives.. and when I came off that had horrible headaches.. my hives went away.. it took a long time.. that stuff is toxic. I only have juice, water, almond mild as my basic drinks now.. feel so much better
  • brendansmithptatc
    brendansmithptatc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific evidence to back this up, but one argument against diet sodas is their sweetness. The body gets used to this ultra-sweetness and in order to find it, people stray from vegetables/fruits to more processed food with increased sugar, etc.