• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    sanfromny wrote: »
    So if I'm going by the Calories In/Calories Out method then it's all the same..no?
    It's the same. I don't find diet soda to be as refreshing as water but that's just personal preference. I'm sure plenty feel the other way around which is perfectly fine too.

At many times I don't either. Actually, pretty much anytime I'm thirsty/seeking refreshment, water is my first choice. I mostly enjoy diet soda with certain meals, as it complements what I'm eating.

The only time I drink soda is when I mix it with rum. But in that case it is not diet. Rum and diet soda is nasty... IMO.

That's because you're drinking rum. It mixes great with Jack or Jim! :D
    Possibly. I'm just a rum kinda guy...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I drink Pepsi Max and/or coke zero several times per week. I also drink water every day.

I personally find diet coke tastes chemically and I don't like it much.
    ( am not commenting negatively on the actual chemicals, just a description of the taste)

I have not found that my appetite increased or I got cravings or it impeded my weight loss or any other side effect.

But oh dear the silly comparisons in this thread - I don't think milk is unhealthy because I don't give it to my dog. Dogs are lactose intolerant - I am not.
    On the other hand, I do give my plants water from the fish tank, is very healthy for them.
    But I don't drink it myself.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Interbeing wrote: »
    There are a lot of reasons not to drink diet sodas, or any sodas on a regular basis. There are a number of peer reviewed studies out now that have shown that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain and is associated with an increased risk of type 2.
    https://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/

Also that's not how weight gain works even.

For those that like their smile, the citric acid found in sodas weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time.
    As does the citric acid in... citrus fruits. Or malic acid from apples. Many fruits are acidic really. Don't hear anyone telling you to stay away from them for your teeth's sake. Because dental hygiene exists.
    Researchers have also found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. And, not to pile on, a recent study conducted by the University of Miami and Columbia University found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none.
    Was it? Links? But really, since already your first "there are studies..." thing was wrong I'm not looking forward to it.

Cleveland Clinic article that basically says that coffee and soda CAN lower your bone density because people don't drink milk too. Phosphoric acid in sodas (not chicken or certain cheeses) leaches calcium from the bones so you need to balance the sodas with milk or calcium supplements (mainly for women).

National Osteoporosis Foundation article states that high consumption of caffeine can cause bone problems if you do not supplement it with enough calcium. The article also states that phosphoric acid can interfere with calcium absorption, so it recommends moderation with sodas and caffeinated beverages and 1000mg calcium for people under 50 and 1200mg calcium for people over 50.

The American Jounal of Clinical Nutrition states that sodas crowd out other healthier beverages and also contain both caffeine and phosphoric acid which can be deleterious to bone health, especially in women.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons not to drink diet sodas, or any sodas on a regular basis. There are a number of peer reviewed studies out now that have shown that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain and is associated with an increased risk of type 2.

For those that like their smile, the citric acid found in sodas weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time.
    As does the citric acid in... citrus fruits. Or malic acid from apples. Many fruits are acidic really. Don't hear anyone telling you to stay away from them for your teeth's sake. Because dental hygiene exists.
    Researchers have also found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. And, not to pile on, a recent study conducted by the University of Miami and Columbia University found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none.
    Was it? Links? But really, since already your first "there are studies..." thing was wrong I'm not looking forward to it.

Cleveland Clinic article that basically says that coffee and soda CAN lower your bone density because people don't drink milk too. Phosphoric acid in sodas (not chicken or certain cheeses) leaches calcium from the bones so you need to balance the sodas with milk or calcium supplements (mainly for women).

National Osteoporosis Foundation article states that high consumption of caffeine can cause bone problems if you do not supplement it with enough calcium. The article also states that phosphoric acid can interfere with calcium absorption, so it recommends moderation with sodas and caffeinated beverages and 1000mg calcium for people under 50 and 1200mg calcium for people over 50.

The American Jounal of Clinical Nutrition states that sodas crowd out other healthier beverages and also contain both caffeine and phosphoric acid which can be deleterious to bone health, especially in women.

The sources have a lot of "might"s and "could"s. A major problem with this type of study is that it's all based on correlation, which won't prove causation. It could be, as posited, that cola drinkers, as a group, consume less milk. It could be that those who never drink cola are more health focused in general, including exercising more. It could be that something in the cola actually promotes osteoporosis. It's just very hard to draw any conclusions from the kinds of studies that have been done.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

The sources have a lot of "might"s and "could"s. A major problem with this type of study is that it's all based on correlation, which won't prove causation. It could be, as posited, that cola drinkers, as a group, consume less milk. It could be that those who never drink cola are more health focused in general, including exercising more. It could be that something in the cola actually promotes osteoporosis. It's just very hard to draw any conclusions from the kinds of studies that have been done.

Yes, that was the point. These are the pitfalls (not drinking enough milk or ingesting too much caffeine) and they should be avoided since the research hasn't definitively shown that sodas cause bone density problems. The person before asked for studies, so I provided them. =)
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    What's the appeal of diet soda? What are people tasting exactly?

what is it about diet soda that makes people loyal?

Diet Coke is the nectar of the gods.

But what about Coke Zero?

Coke Zero is awful
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    What's the appeal of diet soda? What are people tasting exactly?

what is it about diet soda that makes people loyal?

Diet Coke is the nectar of the gods.

But what about Coke Zero?

Coke Zero is awful

Blasphemy.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »

Americans are so paranoid about it, that beverage companies are ripping their products off the shelves, and it's absolutely insane.

+1 Yes, because now Diet Pepsi tastes like crap!

I know. I'm so pissed all these woo peddlers convinced Diet Pepsi to change their sweetener (if you don't like artificial sweeteners, don't drink them! And leave my diet sodas alone!).

Now I have fully switched over to the Diet Coke camp instead of just some of the time like before. I am getting used to it. At least Diet Mountain Dew did not change their flavor. But the Coca-Cola Company is making money off of Pepsi's stupid decision (or why didn't they at least make a new flavor? Like Diet Coke versus Coke Zero, two types for people who like two different flavor profiles).
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I avoid diet soda because it has aspartame, and that's been known to cause headaches. I have chronic headaches anyway. I'm not going to intentionally drink something that could possibly make it worse. Even if it's not true about it causing headaches, I'm not a big soda drinker so I'd still pick water.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Fortunately for most people, aspartame does not cause headaches.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    No, they are not the same. Both may be listed as 0 calories, but there is more to this than just calories.

Sodium:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 40mg

Total Carbs:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 0.5g

Caffeine:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 46mg

While these numbers are not huge, they are there. Diet Coke (and any diet drink) may not have sugar, but they do have an artificial sweetener of some sort, some of which have been tied to cancer-causing ingredients.

And one of the major benefits of water, besides keeping us hydrated, is flushing the body of unwanted and unneeded waste. Our bodies are made to use water for this function, and trying to use other liquids (sodas, coffee, tea) taxes the body's abilities.

I'm not saying don't drink diet sodas. I am saying do not count them in your daily water consumption. Regardless how many diet cokes, coffees, teas, etc you may drink during the day, you will still need at least 8 glasses of pure, clear water. IMHO.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    bdgfn wrote: »
    No, they are not the same. Both may be listed as 0 calories, but there is more to this than just calories.

Sodium:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 40mg

Total Carbs:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 0.5g

Caffeine:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 46mg

Trivial.

While these numbers are not huge, they are there. Diet Coke (and any diet drink) may not have sugar, but they do have an artificial sweetener of some sort, some of which have been tied to cancer-causing ingredients.

And one of the major benefits of water, besides keeping us hydrated, is flushing the body of unwanted and unneeded waste. Our bodies are made to use water for this function, and trying to use other liquids (sodas, coffee, tea) taxes the body's abilities.

I'm not saying don't drink diet sodas. I am saying do not count them in your daily water consumption. Regardless how many diet cokes, coffees, teas, etc you may drink during the day, you will still need at least 8 glasses of pure, clear water. IMHO.

None of this is true
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Oh but my water does not contain caffeine a necessary supplement for me each day.. Still 0 calories vs 0 calories though.

I will always enjoy by daily 20 ounces of Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper. Yep I know it has aspartame in it so along with that 20 ounces I drink 60 ounces of water a day. Maybe somewhere in the water drinking I am flushing some of the stuff that makes that dark drink soooo bad for you, or not.. ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    bdgfn wrote: »

Sodium:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 40mg

Total Carbs:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 0.5g

Caffeine:
    Water - 0
    Diet Coke - 46mg

Water does not have 0 sodium unless you filtered it so much all the natural minerals are gone. It has about as much as or more than diet coke depending on the source.

And again, what do you think 99% of diet coke, coffee or tea is made of or how your digestion works?
  • illusionist121
    illusionist121 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hear that diet coke can cause other health risks due to the aspiritane content?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I hear that diet coke can cause other health risks due to the aspiritane content?

You heard wrong.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Have you read all the comments in the thread? In particular the links shared many times called "why aspartame isn't scary"?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Read the label. Diet coke isn't actually 0 calories.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

<5 per serving, so at the worst 70 calories per gallon.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

<5 per serving, so at the worst 70 calories per gallon.

Yeah I know it's not much but no one else mentioned it and if you drink a lot over the course of a year it can add up.