Diet Coke vs Water??-- 0 cals vs 0 cals

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of soda will create water weight and the artificial sweeteners make our bodies crave nutrients (aka we snack more and).

Maybe it makes YOU snack more, I don't know.

But doesn't do that for me nor for most other people so no need for us to avoid it on those grounds.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just read the WHOLE thread. Not sure if I wasted my time or got a good laugh. I really didn't learn anything.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    The only thing bad about soda is that when I still have half a can it makes it easier to grab another handful of chips, otherwise it actually helps me eat less. I'm drinking one right now to help prolong my fast.
  • CrystalRenee2013
    CrystalRenee2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from Pop all together (diet or regular) but sometimes it is nice to have something to drink other than Water!
  • EatKleanGetLean
    EatKleanGetLean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Aspartame + Caffeine < Water

Caffeine is fine when not being drank in excess but osteoporosis and some other conditions can happen from demineralization of the bones as well as making the body acidic. Then just do a little research on aspartame and the long term side effects as well as the damage it can cause on the gut bacteria. Gut contains 70-80% of your immune system, sends neurotransmitter responses to your brain, as well as many other functions. Water = King! 96oz+ a day! Minimum of 64oz :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Caffeine is fine when not being drank in excess but osteoporosis and some other conditions can happen from demineralization of the bones as well as making the body acidic. Then just do a little research on aspartame and the long term side effects as well as the damage it can cause on the gut bacteria. Gut contains 70-80% of your immune system, sends neurotransmitter responses to your brain, as well as many other functions. Water = King! 96oz+ a day! Minimum of 64oz :)

Most of these claims have been addressed multiple times in this thread. Including a handy little infographic right up there on this page explaining that if you could make your body more acidic you would die.

I don't mind the woo so much. A lot of us have fallen for it over the years. I do mind seeing it spouted over and over again in a thread where there are plenty of references being posted to explain why it's not based in fact.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

No.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

And nothing that you eat or drink will "make the body acidic." If food/drink could change our bodies' pH, most of us would be dead.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Most of these claims have been addressed multiple times in this thread. Including a handy little infographic right up there on this page explaining that if you could make your body more acidic you would die.

I don't mind the woo so much. A lot of us have fallen for it over the years. I do mind seeing it spouted over and over again in a thread where there are plenty of references being posted to explain why it's not based in fact.

Also this^^
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »
    Just read the WHOLE thread. Not sure if I wasted my time or got a good laugh. I really didn't learn anything.

At least you read it. That is more than we can say for the vast majority of people who are still posting claims of how horrible diet soda is for you.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Can't expect science from someone with that username.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    Can't expect science from someone with that username.

:lol:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Ah, no...
  • J72FIT
    Options

No.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

And nothing that you eat or drink will "make the body acidic." If food/drink could change our bodies' pH, most of us would be dead.
    ^^^This.
    It amazes me how people think they have that much control over certain systems in the body...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options

Broscience is strong with this one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE

Ingredients
    Carbonated Water, Caramel Color, Aspartame, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Benzoate (To Protect Taste), Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Caffeine.

I'll pass on all that and just take my water, thanks. lol

Oh my gosh.

Phenylketonuria is a rare disorder and those people cannot consume the AMINO ACID phenylalanine in any context. Phenylalanine is an amino acid found in proteins...
  • J72FIT
    Options

Ingredients
    Carbonated Water, Caramel Color, Aspartame, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Benzoate (To Protect Taste), Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Caffeine.

Oh my gosh.

Phenylketonuria is a rare disorder and those people cannot consume the AMINO ACID phenylalanine in any context. Phenylalanine is an amino acid found in proteins...

That was copied and pasted from the Coke website. LMAO

So that makes it not true?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options

Ingredients

Lol, phenylalanine is also in: dairy, eggs, liver, beef, chicken, soybeans, spinach, leafy greens and tofu.
    Surely you're passing on those too?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tryeye
    tryeye Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    To be clear, while very minimal, Diet Coke is not 0 calories.
    Come on people...artificial colors, chemicals... who cares about the calories? Care about what you're actually putting into your body.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Ingredients

Oh my gosh.

That was copied and pasted from the Coke website. Pretty sure it is a warning for PHENYLKETONURICS (people who have phenylketonuria), to warn them that it contains PHENYLALANINE.

LMAO

So I guess I don't understand what's the point of that original post?

I mean, i passed two semesters of chemistry in college and I see absolutely nothing alarming in your list of ingredients there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    tryeye wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    To be clear, while very minimal, Diet Coke is not 0 calories.
    Come on people...artificial colors, chemicals... who cares about the calories? Care about what you're actually putting into your body.

Many of the posters here are well versed in the chemical makeup of their soda, as well as that of their water, tea, food, air, etc. If you want to make a compelling argument beyond "chemicals!" it might be helpful to name those which are dangerous and give some kind of idea what the dangers are and in what dosage. Peer reviewed studies would be great, but anything is probably better than "chemicals!"

Keep in mind that several have already been discussed in this thread, so avoiding those or making a substantive contribution to the existing discussion on them would be great.