March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 My friend and I were discussing Thursday at our group run if many elites would be on Strava. I'll have to check out her page. I want to marvel at the greatness!

You can follow her... I don't see many of her runs posted, but I haven't been on Strava much until the MFP group was created.

I just looked at her followers, and added Lauren Fleshman.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There are many elites using strava. Either biking or running. I saw Sage Canaday and the top runner of Romania, Marius Ionescu. Even Lance Armstrong uses strava lol. Don't even compare yourself to them. My sprint pace is their recovery run

Long run today. 15k. First time I run this far. Was hot as well so tshirt yeeeaa. So many people in the park I just decided I would go cross city. Had to deal with stop lights but meh. Also noticed legs started protesting at around 13 km, not 11 like last 14k I did so that probably means I'm getting better

Oh and my blister now has a blister. Isn't that something. I probably should have poked it

.....Date.....Distance...Pace (min/km).........................Random feel of the day
    March 01 - rest
    March 02 - 5 km............(4:42).........Stop bouncing like Bambi you idiot you gonna kill your knees
    March 03 - 7 km............(6:00)............................Bend at the ankles not the waist.
    March 04 - 3.5 km.........(7.46)....................A metronome app helps with your cadence
    March 05 - rest
    March 06 - 15 km...........(6:00)............Need to taper long run next week but don't want to

Total this week: 30.5 km

exercise.png

Also for the first time ever...RACES

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    15/05: Bucharest Half Marathon
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good day today.

exercise.png
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    March Goal = 55 miles
    Run total so far = 14.3 miles
    x9y9kpjug98k.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    8km Short Run with 10 members of our club. 2 groups - the speedsters and the rest of us.
    Very slow outbound and inbound joined up with a lady and tried to do a pace run back 5:40/km for 2km on the flats and then 6:00 for the 2km hill back to the Coffee shop. Where we all agreed that we are signing up for the Jasper HM on April 16.

exercise.png

03/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    03/02- 10.0 Km – 10.0 - 130 km
    03/04- 11.0 Km – 21.0 - 119 km
    03/05- 13.0 Km – 34.0 - 106 km
    03/06- 8.0 Km – 42.0 - 98 km – YTD = 305.8 Km
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    March Running Totals (km)
    3/1- 1.4 (1.4/35)
    3/2- 2.51 (3.91/35)
    3/3- 1.42 (5.33/35)
    3/4- DOMS hit hard. Need to remember to foam roll!
    3/5- Life
    3/6- 3 (8.33/35) First outdoor run of the year. It was rough but worth it. Figured out I need more long sleeve shirts and something to cover my ears that's not a hat, the jacket was ok but a little too much and the hat was way too hot but my ears were cold. Strava seemed to work great so I got the important stuff transferred from my old app. If you want to add me I'm on there as Candice Eckhardt.
    3/7-
    3/8-
    3/9-
    3/10-
    3/11-
    3/12-
    3/13-
    3/14-
    3/15-
    3/16-
    3/17-
    3/18-
    3/19-
    3/20-
    3/21-
    3/22-
    3/23-
    3/24-
    3/25-
    3/26-
    3/27-
    3/28-
    3/29-
    3/30-
    3/31-

Races
    March 16th- Shamrock Run
    April 10th- Run For Home HM (Relay Team)
    May ?- TuscBDD 5k
    June 25th- Indian Mud Run
    August 13th- Insane Inflatable 5k
    August 20th- Warrior Dash
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - A PR 5K the day after your long run sounds like you're in pretty good shape for the distances you're running and that the long run didn't beat you up much at all. But remember what folks said about recovery runs; as you stretch your long runs out longer, you will at some point find a distance that kind of beats you up (at least the first time you run it) and makes a real recovery run a Very Good Thing.

@ceckhardt369 - Figuring out what to wear to run outside in various weather conditions is something of an art. If you're lucky, you learn what will work for you without making too many huge mistakes; but you can't just copy what someone else wears unless you know they react to weather pretty much the same way you do. I've seen races where the clothing varied from shorts and singlets to heavy tights and 3 upper layers, and very few runners were unhappy with how they dressed. [FWIW, the guys who wear shorts and singlets to run in temperatures below freezing tend to run at a sub-6 minute pace per mile over a 10K or greater distance. They generate a lot of internal heat.]
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 My friend and I were discussing Thursday at our group run if many elites would be on Strava. I'll have to check out her page. I want to marvel at the greatness!

You can follow her... I don't see many of her runs posted, but I haven't been on Strava much until the MFP group was created.

I just looked at her followers, and added Lauren Fleshman.

We follow her on Facebook and Skip follows her on instagram.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    3/6 - 6.5 miles

I'll update totals later.

Went to the greenway and it was packed. People need to stop walking 5 wide, make room for others. I finally ran up into Research Park office complex to run and no @stoshew71 I didn't get lost ha ha. Beautiful day!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yea I went for a run in the park today and there were so many people that it was hard to walk nevermind run. I ended up going across town. Urban exploration
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 – 15.05 easy
    3/4 – scheduled rest day
    3/5 – 17.01 2 easy, 13 MP, 2 easy
    Weekly total 62.39 vs. target 62

3/6 – 7.70 easy
    3/7 –
    3/8 –
    3/9 –
    3/10 –
    3/11 –
    3/12 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 62

March total to date – 55.09

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – Today's assignment was 60 minutes at E pace. I ran 61 minutes, because I seem to have found a route that works out to that, and I seem to be mentally incapable of stopping early and walking the rest of the way back to my driveway. Okay, this week I ran a bit slower than last week, and I *did* stop running before I got to my driveway; but I didn't figure out that I could until I'd been running 61 minutes. It will have to be close enough.

OTOH, 41° F let me run in shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt, and running in sunshine is a rare gift this time of year. It was such a pleasant run that it seemed a shame to end it so soon.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Yeah I figured I'd have to work to figure out what to wear. This is the first year I haven't given up on running in the winter (much less running outdoors) altogether so I consider myself smart for not going too heavy today. I wanted to wear a heavier jacket when I first stepped outside but I'm glad I didn't. Well we all had to learn what worked for us!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I'm figuring out that I need to learn to rein it in, still learning a lot about running. Went for a walk today, with the family, as well, to keep things moving at a slower pace. I'm working on my pacing so, hopefully, I'll get better at doing recovery runs slower, hopefully, as you said, as I stretch my long runs, I'll get better at doing real recovery runs.
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was meant to do 6.5k tonight, but pretty close to goal I was uphill from home, so was able to get to 7k without much extra effort.

2/3........5k....... With Man flu
    4/3........5k
    6/3........7k

Jan 45k
    Feb 61k
    Mar 17k

Goals for March:
    1. 13 runs @ 74km......3run at 17k
    2. 8km long run...........7k
    3. Be less slow............still slow
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Still figuring out Strava. The last two days I could have sworn I started a "bike ride" and then when I was done it said "morning run"! But I figured out how to change it. When you bike for a long time you stop for SAGs (not sure what it means, but basically bathroom, drinks, food). So with Endomondo I pause it, but don't see where to do that yet on Strava. Anyway, the cool thing was after today's ride when I was looking at my Strava, it said "rode with 16 people"! There were probably 50 people on the ride but I only knew a few of them and certainly never knew they used Strava. With Endomondo, it only tells you that you ran/biked with someone who uses that app that is your friend. Do you all use the Premium app for Strava? Looks like you need that to hook up HRM.

Tomorrow is another all day programming competition at UCF. Going to run in the morning and I won't need to leave as early as I usually do. Yay because I am so tired.

@5beautifuldays - You are so right about restaurant food. Yet so many of people eat out all the time (myself included). It’s expensive, too big of portions, full of sugar, and not as good for us as home meals. Sorry you are dealing with the diabetes.

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride + OCS soccer game. OMG I'm so tired, sitting in the sun for hours after that ride.
    March 7 -

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I don't know if you use an HRM or not but that is a data point you can use to help find proper running paces for those unfamiliar with how it feels to run at that pace. It is completely unnecessary of course, you can do it purely by feel, but if you do not know what that feels like then an HRM might become useful if you are not averse to buying/using one. You will find you can then run them by feel without an HRM.

When I got an HRM I found out I was doing virtually all of my training runs at too high of an effort, requiring more recovery, and missing out entirely on the benefits the body can gain from running at slower paces. Once I dialed my pace down I found I was able to crank out some surprising distances.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Yes, I use premium for the HR data. I thought I was going to cancel it and go with Garmin Connect, but I am finding I prefer the zone calculations from Strava far better than the calculated ones from Garmin Connect. So I will be keeping the premium membership I think.

While I can set zones manually in Garmin, I like that Strava does it for me as long as I plug in my fastest kniwn race times. When I run by "feel" the end result in Strava is right where I expected it to be, while in Garmin it reports easy efforts as being in zone 4. Today's recovery run was basically all Zone 3 per Garmin, which I can assure it was not truly a zone 3 effort.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3.1.16 - 7.2 m. : Rolling Hills preset program.
    3.3.16 - 11 m. : 89:30.
    3.4.16 - 6.6 m. : 59:45.
    3.5.16 - 7.1 m. : 68:42.
    3.6.16 - 18.6 m. : LR, North side of Lake.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Got desperate and just ran from the house. Yea, check Strava, stalkers ;) Lots of ankle bitters, a young German Shepherd stopped me in my tracks- a 3 second stand off and I was ready to turn around. She warmed up once I spoke to her, friendly, kept jumping up in front of me.. Then another larger dog, maybe lab/Australian Sheppard mix... She was nice too.. I think about my dogs, how they act so aggressive when folks walk by and I dismiss it. But mine are behind a burried fence, they think they'll get zapped if they cross the beep. Still I don't think most people know that. I'm going to buy dog biscuits to run with next time. It's a little stressful..

Did not plan well, was not hydrated and skipped breakfast and lunch, ate a late snack and ran.. Storms predicted all this week, so I'll be getting to know my TM I guess.

1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03

30.45 miles/150

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  240.53/ 2016
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I was a little weird at first about the social aspect of sharing runs on Strava when most all of my runs start and end at home. Then I realized nobody is going to be stalking me for any reason. There is an option to put up a buffer zone though, it will not show the parts of your route within a certain distance of your house. That might be a premium feature though, I don't know about that.