How do you feel about veganism?

Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Unless you're my child or close family member, it has little to no affect on me or my life. I personally choose to eat meat, because I love the taste and appreciate the protein I get from it. That said, I DO understand and respect the ethical thinking behind veganism.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Many people enjoy a VEGAN lifestyle, congrats to you for doing something you consider healthy. Also, if you want to eat meat every now and again, you can----you can have meat once a week or never eat any meat again for your entire life.
    At one time, this WOE was rare but today in 2016 you have a lot of company. Good Luck OP :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    sndarling9 wrote: »
    I'm an eighteen year old girl who has been vegan for 2 months now. I love the lifestyle and will most likely be on it for the rest of my life. I don't feel deprived, my skin is clearer and I'm
    Losing weight. How do you feel about veganism?

I feel that a lot of vegans aren't really vegans...I feel that from a dietary stand point it's kind of trendy right now and that a lot of people don't actually get it...being vegan goes beyond diet...being vegan means you dont use any animal products for any purpose...vegans don't wear leather...they don't have leather hand bags...they don't wear wool, etc, etc, etc...

I see a lot of "vegans" going on and on about their veganism...when they're really not vegan at all.
  • buzz28camaro
    buzz28camaro Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Meh.

They can enjoy their Omega 3 and B12 deficiencies.

TIL I have an Omega 3 and B12 deficiency because I'm vegan. "Enjoy your mercury poisoning!" See how stupid generalizations sound?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Meh.

TIL I have an Omega 3 and B12 deficiency because I'm vegan. "Enjoy your mercury poisoning!" See how stupid generalizations sound?

It's actually fairly common for vegans and vegetarians to have B12 and omega 3 deficiencies without supplementation. There are a lot of people who go into this kind of stuff without actually knowing or understanding how this kind of change can impact their nutrition or how to get that nutrition from other sources that they're not getting from not eating meat or fish.
  • buzz28camaro
    buzz28camaro Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Meh.

It's actually fairly common for vegans and vegetarians to have B12 and omega 3 deficiencies without supplementation. There are a lot of people who go into this kind of stuff without actually knowing or understanding how this kind of change can impact their nutrition or how to get that nutrition from other sources that they're not getting from not eating meat or fish.

I realize that, but it doesn't change the ignorance of the comment "enjoy your B12 and Omega 3 deficiencies". Basically assuming everybody who goes vegan is too stupid to do basic research and will inevitably have some nutrient deficiency.
  • Zmac34
    Zmac34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was all about eating processed food, fast food, dairy, meat, and supplements for the first 21 years of my life I decided to make a change. I was athletic and had a low body fat % but my skin was terrible and I lacked energy and somehow had high blood pressure. My research ended up leading me to veganism with the exception of bee products. I decided I wanted to be healthier, live longer, and perhaps help my family adopt a healthier lifestyle along the way. Most of my family has diabetes, obesity and a couple have had cancer. All is preventable so I decided to make this logical change. Now for 9 years I have adopted this lifestyle. The leading scientific research is promoting a vegan lifestyle to not only prevent but reverse diseases.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Zmac34 wrote: »
    I was all about eating processed food, fast food, dairy, meat, and supplements for the first 21 years of my life I decided to make a change. I was athletic and had a low body fat % but my skin was terrible and I lacked energy and somehow had high blood pressure. My research ended up leading me to veganism with the exception of bee products. I decided I wanted to be healthier, live longer, and perhaps help my family adopt a healthier lifestyle along the way. Most of my family has diabetes, obesity and a couple have had cancer. All is preventable so I decided to make this logical change. Now for 9 years I have adopted this lifestyle. The leading scientific research is promoting a vegan lifestyle to not only prevent but reverse diseases.

Not all cancer is preventable, and not all diabetes of preventable either. Type one diabetes is when your pancreas is destroyed by your immune system, thus leading to insulin no longer being produced by the body. This type only accounts for about 5-10% of those diagnosed with diabetes. There are many theories as to the cause, but no conclusive cause has been determined.
  • lagoscarrie
    lagoscarrie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Not all cancer is preventable, and not all diabetes of preventable either.
    Very true. But the vast majority of diabetes, as you point out, is preventable. When you add heart disease, hypertension, and cancers known to be more prevalent with obesity, making significant diet changes starts to make a lot of sense.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for almost 15yrs and for 5 of those I was vegan. I have no problem with it. I stopped because I could not maintain a healthy diet with it because of my budget at the time and where I lived. Go for whatever food choices make you happy and healthy
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    sndarling9 wrote: »
    I'm an eighteen year old girl who has been vegan for 2 months now. I love the lifestyle and will most likely be on it for the rest of my life. I don't feel deprived, my skin is clearer and I'm
    Losing weight. How do you feel about veganism?

I could care less. We have a farm and grown our own meat, eggs and veggies and wouldn't have it any other way. :)
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    whatever works for you is fine with me. one of the healthiest people i know is my vegan-eating sister. she actually had pretty bad rheumatoid arthritis as a teen so around 16 she gave up meat, by 18 she was a nutritional vegan, and she's been super healthy ever since. what i love most about her is that she recognizes that her diet is her own, my diet is my own, and does not push it onto me.

she is not a true vegan though, just a nutritional one. i find true vegans to be quite judgmental at times.
  • brithlp_mfp
    brithlp_mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for 20+ years and was vegan for a few years but reverted back to dairy because, whilst cooking for myself at home was no problem, eating out or at friend's was difficult/limiting. I guess it depends if you live in a major city that has plenty of vegan-friendly eateries and how obliging your friends are.

Also, I wasn't particularly careful about getting balanced nutrition (which is important when you're on a more limited diet). I have thyroid problems now which I'm convinced are related, at least in part, to my vegan days. Not trying to put you off but just sayin' it can be hard work to do it properly.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Thoughts???

Seriously thinking about going vegan after seeing this. Is it propoganda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDsSnpYZrw

My thoughts: truth and propaganda both. However, the propagandists will never convince most people to give up meat, dairy and eggs. Me included.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me. People have their own way of eating: Veganism, Keto, Paleo, etc... Whatever rocks their boat you know. I love meat a lot so Veganism is not for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I don't care as long as the vegan isn't shoving his/her WOE in my face and continuously belittling me/being snide about how I'm contributing to animal abuse because I'm eating a sandwich. I don't do it to you, so don't do it to me.

^ This! I couldn't care less how somebody else chooses to eat, but I absolutely hate being preached at - whether it be about religion, politics or how I choose to eat. I would never choose vegetarianism/veganism myself, but anybody else is free to eat however they want - just stay the eff out of my face about it. I won't belittle you for eating like a giraffe, don't belittle me for eating like a wolf.

From a dietary/health standpoint, a vegan diet can be just as healthy or unhealthy as any other diet.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I won't belittle you for eating like a giraffe, don't belittle me for eating like a wolf.

And I won't belittle you for eating like a weasel if you don't belittle me for eating like a gorilla.

Duh.
  • amyjane_g
    amyjane_g Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am also vegan and agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views about lifestyle choices.
    Personally, veganism for me is a way of life and is more than not eating meat and living off of nuts and vegetables.. It's the ethical side of it just as much..
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    amyjane_g wrote: »
    I am also vegan and agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views about lifestyle choices.
    Personally, veganism for me is a way of life and is more than not eating meat and living off of nuts and vegetables.. It's the ethical side of it just as much..

Exactly this.