Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating before going to sleep

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    elivelez62 wrote: »
    It is suggested that you do not eat 3 hours before bedtime. There is no study linking eating before bedtime and gain weight on humans, only on mice.

what if I eat two hours before bedtime and I am in a calorie deficit for the day, will I gain weight?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    elivelez62 wrote: »
    It is suggested that you do not eat 3 hours before bedtime. There is no study linking eating before bedtime and gain weight on humans, only on mice.

what if I eat two hours before bedtime and I am in a calorie deficit for the day, will I gain weight?

One pound per hour of sleep with food still in your belly.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Meal timing makes no difference for gaining weight. I would say the don't eat after 7 comes from a time when people were on more traditional schedules and ate a breakfast lunch and dinner around a 8-4 or 9-5 day. With that, moat people would have eaten the food needed for the day and items after 7 would be "extra" and generally nutritionally sparse and calorie dense
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    I always eat dinner and immediately go to bed afterward mostly because I hate myself after eating
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    I always eat dinner and immediately go to bed afterward mostly because I hate myself after eating

That is sad. Hugs
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    pie_eyes wrote: »

It makes me sad that food =self hate for so many people.
    Sometimes I will just go the eff to sleep since I always want to feed my tired as opposed to my hungry.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    @pie_eyes
    I'm sorry. Do you always feel bad after eating or just when you eat when you shouldn't?
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    My mom always fusses with me saying that i shouldnt eat after like 7 because it will make me gain weight. What's your view on this and why?

Aside from the calorie deficit thing, I just read an article on the time during the night when your liver filters everything. I think it was between 12-3am. So to not have food in your stomach beforehand is a plus otherwise digestion continues instead. Though the calorie deficit thing is solid, you want a healthy working liver because it has lots to do with metabolizing food. Just some info to consider. I personally eat some cucumber before bed to keep the fires stoked :)
  • queenliz99
    My mom always fusses with me saying that i shouldnt eat after like 7 because it will make me gain weight. What's your view on this and why?

Aside from the calorie deficit thing, I just read an article on the time during the night when your liver filters everything. I think it was between 12-3am. So to not have food in your stomach beforehand is a plus otherwise digestion continues instead. Though the calorie deficit thing is solid, you want a healthy working liver because it has lots to do with metabolizing food. Just some info to consider. I personally eat some cucumber before bed to keep the fires stoked :)

Post the article or where did you read this? What if I work the night shift, sounds like I'm screwed.
  • ndj1979

I am sorry but this whole post is wrong. You don't need a snack to keep the metabolic fire stoked and your liver will not be unhealthy if you have food in your stomach between 12-3am ...
  • ndj1979
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Post the article or where did you read this? What if I work the night shift, sounds like I'm screwed.

your already dead
  • queenliz99

your already dead

Oh God, is that's what is wrong with me?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

your already dead

Depends. If you ever ate sugar in your life, it could be type 7 Diabetes.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member

your already dead

senecarr wrote: »

your already dead

Depends. If you ever ate sugar in your life, it could be type 7 Diabetes.

Try ACV, that should fix it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    If whatever you eat after 7 puts you in a calorie surplus on a daily basis, yes you will gain weight. If you are in a deficit or maintenance, you will not. Because science.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

So what does the liver do for the other 21 hours of the day? Loaf around and watch tv?

(What you read is pure woo. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day. It doesn't have an internal clock which tells particular organs what time to turn on and what time to turn off. Crackpots who write that kind of fictitious garbage should be barred from ever touching a keyboard or having access to the internet again.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    And what happens if you're awake between 12-3am?

Not having a pop, it's just I'm sure many people are still awake at that hour.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

And what happens if you live in one time zone, but travel to another? I mean, if I travel from Mountain time zone (GMT -7) to London (GMT), does the liver filtery thingy now happen between 7- 10 am??? Does the liver know to reset its clock, or does the brain send it a memo, or what?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

And what happens if you live in one time zone, but travel to another? I mean, if I travel from Mountain time zone (GMT -7) to London (GMT), does the liver filtery thingy now happen between 7- 10 am??? Does the liver know to reset its clock, or does the brain send it a memo, or what?

Yeah, It doesn't make sense at all....

I would love to see this article @Readysetgo333
  • queenliz99
    AnvilHead wrote: »

But if you cross the international dateline, what happens then? Liver on the Barbie.
This discussion has been closed.