Macros

I'm looking for any ideas on a good macro split. I want to lose 15 to 20 lbs. I weigh 209lbs, active, gym at least twice a week with 15min cardio focus on fat loss. I train for an hour total that includes cardio and heavy weights. I've cleaned my diet up significantly. My split is 20% protein 30%fat and 50% carbs. 2300 total calories. I am losing weight. Just looking for tweaks. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    for weight loss, it doesn't matter too much. You want to eat a good amount of protein and fat for your overall health. This ends up being approx 0.6g or more protein per pound of body weight and 0.4g of fat.

Since you are lifting heavy weights, you are probably trying to maitain or gain muscle while losing weight. So I would highly recommend even more protein, >0.8g-1g per pound of body weight every day. I would also keep my fats closer to the minimum daily requirement (just don't go under) and fill the rest with carbs. The extra carbs will fuel your weight training workouts.

for you, this works out to be

80g fat
    170-180g protein
    and the rest of your calories in carbs
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    IMO, always start with something reasonably balanced like a 40/30/30. What's 40 and what's 30 doesn't matter too much, so whatever lines up well with your dietary preferences. Run those ratios for a while and see how it serves you. Tweak as necessary.

FWIW, it's usually easier (and more effective) to have this conversation in terms of grams, not %. So you'd be talking about something like 150g protein, 70g fat, 200g carbs (round approximations for the sake of this conversation, but that's probably nto far off).

From my experience, people's natural tendencies lead to a carb and/or fat heavy diet, so most people need to work on getting more protein. That obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but that's what I've seen with most people who aren't really aware of proper/balanced diets.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    I agree with @jacksonpt my go to is 40/30/30 carbs, protein, fat. If I lose some of the 40% carbs to protein or fat it is no big deal. Allows some flex to the diet and lets you eat extra proteins/fats if your body wants.

The 20% protein just never seemed to be enough for me, you can also look at the actual macros you are pulling and adjust from there.
  • galgenstrick
    Running my numbers with 2300 calories, it works out to about 40/30/30. Sounds like we're all in agreement.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    A good guideline is .8 - 1.0g protein per kg of body weight (DO NOT USE POUNDS). Since you lift weights I would go with the 1.0. Carbs 45% - 65% of calories with a minimum of 130g and fat 20% - 35% of calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    A good guideline is .8 - 1.0g protein per kg of body weight (DO NOT USE POUNDS). Since you lift weights I would go with the 1.0. Carbs 45% - 65% of calories with a minimum of 130g and fat 20% - 35% of calories.

No, for maintaining muscle on a deficit .8 g/lb (of goal weight) is a good idea.

40 (carbs) -30-30 is often consistent with this, if someone is on a deficit.
  • galgenstrick

Why not use Pounds? Where did you hear this nonsense?
  • mom2kpr
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

No, for maintaining muscle on a deficit .8 g/lb (of goal weight) is a good idea.

Basing your protein needs on pounds gives you way to high of protein intake. If your current weight is more than 125% of your ideal body weight (determined by height 5ft =106# + 6lbs for each additional inch), use your goal weight in kg to determine protein needs. If your ideal body weight is less than 125%, you can use your current weight in kg. Always use kg, not pounds.
  • galgenstrick

Basing your protein needs on pounds gives you way to high of protein intake. If your current weight is more than 125% of your ideal body weight (determined by height 5ft =106# + 6lbs for each additional inch), use your goal weight in kg to determine protein needs. If your ideal body weight is less than 125%, you can use your current weight in kg. Always use kg, not pounds.

Again, where did you hear this nonsense? Can you link me to a source that says that "Basing your protein needs on pounds gives you way too high of a protein intake."?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    *sigh*

I love when we argue simply to be right. #mfpforever
  • mom2kpr

Again, where did you hear this nonsense? Can you link me to a source that says that "Basing your protein needs on pounds gives you way too high of a protein intake."?

Text books that teach people to become Registered Dieticians. I will be graduating in May as a Dietician which includes internships in the medical field. It is all based on .8 - 1.0g/kg for a healthy adult. I will go by what is being taught by and to dietetic professionals instead of what all the bodybuilding websites say.
  • galgenstrick
    edited March 2016

Text books that teach people to become Registered Dieticians. I will be graduating in May as a Dietician which includes internships in the medical field. It is all based on .8 - 1.0g/kg for a healthy adult. I will go by what is being taught by and to dietetic professionals instead of what all the bodybuilding websites say.

You're talking about protein needs to be an average healthy adult eating at maintenance, which I agree with, using kg is perfectly fine. But OP is dieting, active, and lifting weights. More protein is necessary to retain muscle mass.

You were very adamant about saying "DO NOT USE POUNDS", which is bull, I want to know where you heard that statement. It sounds like your are extrapolating from the books you read.
  • mom2kpr

Your talking about protein needs to be an average healthy adult eating at maintenance, which I agree with, using kg is perfectly fine. But OP is dieting, active, and lifting weights. More protein is necessary to retain muscle mass.

You were very adamant about saying "DO NOT USE POUNDS", which is bull, I want to know where you heard that statement. It sounds like your are extrapolating from the books you read.

OP is a healthy adult so it applies to him. Using 1.0g/kg gives him the extra protein he needs, otherwise without weight lifting it would be .8g/kg. And yes I'm extrapolating from the books, because they are my textbooks that are teaching me to teach people about nutrition needs, so that's what I'm doing.
  • galgenstrick

Your talking about protein needs to be an average healthy adult eating at maintenance, which I agree with, using kg is perfectly fine. But OP is dieting, active, and lifting weights. More protein is necessary to retain muscle mass.

OP is a healthy adult so it applies to him. Using 1.0g/kg gives him the extra protein he needs, otherwise without weight lifting it would be .8g/kg. And yes I'm extrapolating from the books, because they are my textbooks that are teaching me to teach people about nutrition needs, so that's what I'm doing.

But where does it say "DO NOT USE POUNDS"?

And I'm sure as you've learned in school, you have to be very cautious when extrapolating. You're making a bad assumption.
  • natbell17
    natbell17 Posts: 3 Member
    I work at a health club and train with a trainer - almost all of them will start you off at 40 P/30 C/30 F macro breakdown. You want to keep your protein higher to keep/sustain muscle growth and your carbs lower to lose weight.
  • galgenstrick
    natbell17 wrote: »
    I work at a health club and train with a trainer - almost all of them will start you off at 40 P/30 C/30 F macro breakdown. You want to keep your protein higher to keep/sustain muscle growth and your carbs lower to lose weight.

unless you are referring to a loss of glycogen, lowering carbs does not contribute to weight loss. But agree on your protein point.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

He is not in maintenance and is lifting (not sedentary) so no, it does not apply to him.
  • mom2kpr

And I'm sure as you've learned in school, you have to be very cautious when extrapolating. You're making a bad assumption.

It doesn't say it, but we've discussed it and the teachers/RD's are adamant about using kg. .8g/lb is a lot more protein than 1.0/kg. At 200lbs using the .8g/lb method equals 160g protein a day, using 1.0g/kg equals 91g/day. It is a huge difference. Unless you are a competitive weight lifter, there is no need to go that high. The only time anyone needs more than 1.0g/kg is a person with AIDS, burns, wound healing, Cancer, Cardiac patients, COPD, infections.
  • galgenstrick

It doesn't say it, but we've discussed it and the teachers/RD's are adamant about using kg. .8g/lb is a lot more protein than 1.0/kg. At 200lbs using the .8g/lb method equals 160g protein a day, using 1.0g/kg equals 91g/day. It is a huge difference. Unless you are a competitive weight lifter, there is no need to go that high. The only time anyone needs more than 1.0g/kg is a person with AIDS, burns, wound healing, Cancer, Cardiac patients, COPD, infections.

You're extrapolating again. There is perfectly good research showing that a high protein diet >0.8g per pound is a good idea for many active people.
  • Fitnesspromiddleton
    Fitnesspromiddleton Posts: 15 Member
    Yup this is right. The .8g/lb is the US guide other countries are at .7g/lb. The up to 1.0g is a typical guide, it really depends on the type of training.

https://www.acsm.org/public-information/acsm-blog/sports-nutrition-un-plugged

There are guides for CHO based on activity too. Then to figure the FAT you add protein and CHO together and subtract that total from your total calories.

Ya most guides are in Kg. 1Kg=2.2lb