So you just woke up one day and...

Options

Replies

• 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Five pounds in a month is a great loss, at a bit over a pound a week.

I told myself that it was going to take a long time. I figured eighteen months to my goal at the time. In reality, I've been at this since January 2014 and have been off track for the past 8-9 months, so I'm only now buckling down. But I've learned what works for me (moderation) and what doesn't (restriction).

Have you read this thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

None of that is new information for me... Honestly I don't think there is any "new" information. 5lbs a month isn't enough for someone at my size.

I obviously just don't care enough about myself to do better.

Why is 5lbs/month not enough? It'd add up to 60 lbs in a year.

I used to think like that too. If it can't be big, it doesn't count. I dropped that noise and just trucked on with my "sad" 1lb/ week, at most. Two years later I'm under 200 lbs for good and no reason to ever go back. In the time it took me to lose at such a 'pathetic' rate I've developed the life skills to eat the amount of energy for my body. My short, old, desk job working self cannot eat what I 'want' (amounts). That change wasn't going to happen fast so my slow loss is actually a blessing to the long term goal-maintenance. I won't be one that regains. That's all that matters to me.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I always tell people this is 99.9% mental. You have to mentally commit to doing what needs to be done to lose weight. It's not easy. There are rough patches, but you can do it. You just have to mentally tell yourself you will not fail.
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So all you successful people just woke up one day, started eating less and working out, and never stopped?

Disclaimer: I'm not "successful" yet, but I am on my way to it.

No, it didn't happen to me one day, not at all... except that it did. :) As John Green writes about love, it happened for me "slowly and then all at once".

And it wasn't a list of actions (wake up, eat less, work out, don't stop) that happened for me... it was a switch being flipped in my brain. All those actions you list, those are daily choices which are slowly becoming more routine than battle.

What had to happen for me was a complete rewiring of my brain. My brain just doesn't think the way it thought before.

For me it was like being in a movie, in a dark room, with my hand on a light switch, trying to turn on the lights in ultra, ultra slow motion... the flipping of the switch took years, but the moment where darkness became light was an instant, even in slow motion.

In my case, it was getting a fitness tracker (ironically, for the sleep tracking and not even for the steps) that rewired my brain. I could go on and on about this process, but it's beyond the subject of this thread.

The light is either on or off, my friend, no matter how many years you've been flipping the switch, and right now yours is still off. It will turn on, if you give it enough time, and frankly if the years spent in the dark are painful and scary enough, and the hope of the light is promising enough to keep your hand on the switch. The only way it doesn't, is if you take your hand off.

This isn't like anything else I've ever done. I tend to doubt myself, my possibilities, my future. But that I will succeed at this, I do not doubt.

And that, for me, is worth more than the pounds I've lost. I am finally, finally becoming the me I have somehow always been.

Which I'm sure makes sense to no one but me. :)

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If it was easy to just wake up one day and start being fit, no one would be obese. Eating too much and being sedentary is easy, eating within a defined limit and exercising consistently over a long duration is difficult.

Establish your wellness like any other "must do" task in your life, like brushing your teeth, showering, shaving, etc. These are built into your life and therefore are not discretionary (for most people); treat your nutrition and exercise regime accordingly, it is not something you can blow off, ignore, or delay.
  • tmorton03
    tmorton03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Of course you're having a bad day.....but you do need to "suck it up!" My bad day was 745 days ago. I had to stop crying about my weight and wondering why I was heavy and change my ways! Here I am after logging everything I put in my mouth now 85 pounds lighter. It took me one year to lose and I have had a successful year of keeping it off. Eat more protein, vegetables and fruits and less carbs and exercise! Have one "cheat" meal or day a week. Anyone can do this! I think of it this way: It took me years to put on the weight, I can spend ONE year or so getting rid of it.
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think everyone falls off the wagon. I started almost a year ago to the date. In that year I probably had six months of solid dieting and six months of getting on and off the band wagon. One thing you have to do is keep trying. If I hadn't restarted so many times I wouldn't have been able to maintain my 54lb loss. Do I wish I would have kept moving forward and lost the last 14 freaking pounds of course! At least I'm not where I started and as long as I remember each day is a new day I never will be again.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I became hooked on MFP and really stuck with it once I saw that I could lose weight without a huge deficit. I tell myself that if I'm not suffering, then why shouldn't I stick with it? So just figure out what it takes for YOU to stick with it. Do exercise you enjoy (whatever that is) and try to eat food you enjoy, yes enjoy! I always falter when I start to feel too deprived so that gives me a clue that I need to plan my meals a little better and make room for treats that fit into my calorie goals, rather than just grabbing whatever and then feeling bad about it. Also, success begets success. Once you've accumulated many days of staying on track, you will start to see patterns of what kinds of foods fill you up, make you happy and which ones don't. Best of luck. You are worth it!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I do empathize with you, because I've been where you've been. But I'd have more sympathy for you if, after someone tried to give you advice, you didn't thank them by saying, "None of this is new information for me". Sorry; I didn't realize that we were supposed to know what you know and dig up something brand new that would help you.

I'm sure you've heard this before too, but I'm going to say it anyway: You know what you have to do. Just commit to it.

And this is where my empathy kicks in, where I'm putting myself in your place: That's what someone told me when I was being a whiny little woe-is-me baby. And they were right.

Good luck.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Just to add on an already full and GREAT thread....everyone has hard days- really really *kitten* days. We TOO, like YOU can struggle and do.
    But you know what we've learned-some the hard way---is to get the hell over it- get out of our own way and start again tomorrow!...or better yet NOW.

The "ah-ha" moment when you realize you are changing your life--for LIFE- your time frame expands indefinitely and your potential for long term quality body changes is infinite!

Its only over when you quit.
    So dont.
  • Espresso345
    Espresso345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My personal motto is "Fall down seven times, get up eight." I didn't just "wake up one morning" and lose weight. I'm 10 pounds down (in 5 months) with 46 more to go, and I've been trying to get down to my goal weight since....ohhhhh.....2007. But every workout, every nutritious meal was not wasted. Every time I have to "reboot" I look at what went right, what went wrong.

If losing weight and getting fit was EASY - every one of us would look like a Supermodel.

You know what's helping me a lot this go round? Pinterest. When I feel down, I look at fitness inspiration quotes. Also, I test my fasting glucose once a week. I am not diabetic, but I don't want to be - and it's amazing how cookies at work look less tempting when I'm worried about "flunking" my blood test on Sunday.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    So all you successful people just woke up one day, started eating less and working out, and never stopped?

Disclaimer: I'm not "successful" yet, but I am on my way to it.

No, it didn't happen to me one day, not at all... except that it did. :) As John Green writes about love, it happened for me "slowly and then all at once".

And it wasn't a list of actions (wake up, eat less, work out, don't stop) that happened for me... it was a switch being flipped in my brain. All those actions you list, those are daily choices which are slowly becoming more routine than battle.

What had to happen for me was a complete rewiring of my brain. My brain just doesn't think the way it thought before.

For me it was like being in a movie, in a dark room, with my hand on a light switch, trying to turn on the lights in ultra, ultra slow motion... the flipping of the switch took years, but the moment where darkness became light was an instant, even in slow motion.

In my case, it was getting a fitness tracker (ironically, for the sleep tracking and not even for the steps) that rewired my brain. I could go on and on about this process, but it's beyond the subject of this thread.

The light is either on or off, my friend, no matter how many years you've been flipping the switch, and right now yours is still off. It will turn on, if you give it enough time, and frankly if the years spent in the dark are painful and scary enough, and the hope of the light is promising enough to keep your hand on the switch. The only way it doesn't, is if you take your hand off.

This isn't like anything else I've ever done. I tend to doubt myself, my possibilities, my future. But that I will succeed at this, I do not doubt.

And that, for me, is worth more than the pounds I've lost. I am finally, finally becoming the me I have somehow always been.

Which I'm sure makes sense to no one but me. :)

This actually makes perfect sense to me! The same thing happened to me as well: my entire thought process changed. Slowly. Can't really pin-point an "aha!" moment, but I can trace it to an unusual (somewhat fitness related) discovery that started the process. Thanks for sharing your story! I can relate.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. Lot of great replies.

OP it is mental more than anything else. And it is hard.

I was morbidly obese for a long time. I lost 100 pounds. Then some life stuff happened, I didn't deal with it well, and I gained back 50+

Now I'm fighting it back off again. Got up this morning, down 32 pounds...looking in the mirror...still fat. :( Now, I have days when I'm feeling good about my progress, but days I don't too. Starving today even after my usual coffee and late breakfast. Feeling tired and wanted to go back to bed. But I didn't crawl in bed with a snack, because I want this weight off more. I went to the gym and did my usual workout.

Little goals help a lot. I like goals with a time frame, but some people don't.

There is no quit date on this project. If I quit I won't just stop losing, I'll most likely gain again.

Even if I get to an eventual goal weight that I'm happy with I know I'll have to monitor my eating in some way.

I presently have my calories set about 1400. The BMR for my dream weight is 1400 with a sedentary TDEE of 1678.

So unless I keep up with exercise eating significantly more than I am now isn't in the cards.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    “It is a painful thing to look at your own trouble and know that you yourself and no one else has made it.”
    Sophocles

“A sign of wisdom and maturity is when you come to terms with the realization that your decisions cause your rewards and consequences. You are responsible for your life, and your ultimate success depends on the choices you make.”
    Denis Waitley

The cold cruel reality is that no one but you made the decisions that got you to where you are today, and no one but you can make the decisions that will change that. That is true for each one of us here, who keep making decisions (on a minute by minute basis sometimes) to do what is best for us as individuals, and that will move us toward our goals.

Thats all life is, isnt it? A series of decisions. I hope you can find the strength to make the choices that work for you.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    5lbs a month isn't enough for someone at my size.

5 lbs/month is great and I've discovered very sustainable. Demanding more from yourself is another type of self-hatred. Don't set yourself up to fail, set yourself up to succeed. You're on the right path and headed there at a great speed, don't talk yourself out of it. Just reversing the weight gain was a really big victory... celebrate it!

Like others said, in 12 months, 5 lbs is 60. In 18 month's its 90. You are going to be 12 months older in 12 months. You might as well stick to what is clearly working and enjoy being 60 lbs thinner next year. And then you'll wonder why you thought 5 lbs/month was so awful.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I had this epiphany a while back when reading one of these, "help, I want to lose weight fast!" posts.

In almost every aspect of our lives, we complain about how fast the time goes.
    'Can't believe it's almost Christmas....'
    'Kids are getting so big, wish they weren't growing up so fast'
    'Where did the summer go'

Except weight loss. We always want weight loss to be faster. So yeah, you may not be satisfied with 5 lbs in a month, but as others have pointed out, if you kept on that track, it would be 60 lbs in a year. In a year from now, you'll be a year older, with other potential major life changes (you seem young from your profile picture). Do you want those life changes to be at your current weight? At a higher weight? Or would you like to just commit to keep doing what you're doing and a year from now, be 60 lbs less than you are today and probably 3-4 sizes smaller in clothes. Everyone will look at you saying, "wow, you've lost so much weight! What's your secret?".

And you can smile coyly and say, "I just woke up one day and....."

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love that, WinoGelato, and it was a similar revelation that helped me get serious about losing weight. It hit me that years seem to speed by anymore, and I thought that no matter what I could make a pretty good dent in my weight in a year.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Five pounds in a month is a great loss, at a bit over a pound a week.

I told myself that it was going to take a long time. I figured eighteen months to my goal at the time. In reality, I've been at this since January 2014 and have been off track for the past 8-9 months, so I'm only now buckling down. But I've learned what works for me (moderation) and what doesn't (restriction).

Have you read this thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

None of that is new information for me... Honestly I don't think there is any "new" information. 5lbs a month isn't enough for someone at my size.

All-or-nothing thinking is a major red flag sign of depression. Since you can't be perfect at . . . (insert activity here) there is no reason to try. I think your problem may go deeper than the weight or your ability to stick to an eating plan.

Please read the book, Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns. It outlines how to combat depression with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and T.E.A.M (Testing, Empathy, Agenda Setting, Methods). His methods are well-researched and peer-reviewed. I learned about him during one of my PhD level psychology classes.

He has a website at:
    http://feelinggood.com/
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Oh how little empathy the people on this site have. Smh. I knew better than to post about this. Lesson learned. I hope none of you ever have a bad day, just to have someone say "suck it up." If you don't have anything nice to say....

But thank you to everyone who responded with their experiences and words of encouragement. I sincerely doubt that there has ever been an obese person who never had a moment of self-doubt and self-pity. Smh.

Lol - dont be too hard on those people. Everyone is different - when I have a bad day (as yes, we all do), having someone say "Suck it up" is EXACTLY what I need.

But not everyone is like that - when my mom has a bad day, I am all "poor you" to her, because it is what she needs and I know it wont last forever. When my son has a bad day, I tell him "so what? Wallowing is not going to improve it - what can you do right now that will?" because he needs a firm hand and a call to action.

Obviously on the internet no one knows what kind of person you are or what you need, so we respond with the kind of "tough love" we need (whether that is poor me, strong arm, whatever).

So dont take it personal - no one on the internet is going to be able to make you feel better about yourself, and really - no one on the internet should be able to make you feel worse about yourself. Look to real people when you need that kind of thing.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Basically, yes, that's exactly what happened. I woke up one day and enough was enough. It was like something clicked and suddenly I was ready to commit.

I've started MANY times before without success, but something is different this time.

Believe it or not, when you're ready, it's ALMOST easy. Not going to say that it's not a lot of hard work and dedication, but once it clicks, it's much easier.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I did actually wake up one morning and decided to do it. I decided to give it my all for a month to prove to myself that counting calories WOULDN'T work for me. I was convinced that I was going to be fat forever. I was doomed.

Funny enough, I lost weight that month. So I decided to keep going.

I woke up the next day and decided to do it again today.
    I woke up the day after that and decided that I was going to hit my goals.

22 months later and I still wake up every day and decide that I'm going to hit my goals today.

It's a daily commitment. You are either going to do it or you aren't. There's no other way around it.