March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the Diabetes! :frowning: It can be dealing with highs and lows, I've seen friends go through it. I hope you feel better soon! x Also, is your profile pic from the Disney run? I'm not sure if you have posted photos (I may have missed it!) Do you mind posting some more pics here? :) Have always wanted to go to Disneyland!

I would rather it was me with diabetes, but it's my 19-year-old autistic son. :( We are just starting to get our feet under us, but until he's back in school full-time, I'm on a "run when I can, which isn't often" schedule. I've sadly been so busy with that and some emotional/school stuff for my 17 year old that I let my other kids get behind in their schoolwork, too...so we're all a mess here! We have spring break coming up in a couple of weeks--I'm hoping that will be the reset we need to get our act together!

The Disney run and trip was a blast, though. I didn't take very many pictures, sadly. This is my favorite of myself, though. "I am not fast, but I am strong!":
    56z754jmw9me.jpg

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    March goal—can I make 120 km?
    second half on 3/27—Dongguan Songshan First Annual
    3/1—3.31 km having trouble getting my butt out of bed.
    3/3—5.09 km
    3/4—7.01 km—dear self, remember if you’re going to run to use your inhaler, mmkay?
    3/7—3.9 km would have run more but yeah…excuses
    3/9—5.06 km
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training
    3/3....3.5 @ 11:25 on the TM
    3/5....4.5 @ 10:33 on the TM ( .5 walking and 4 @ 10:00, which I think is my farthest distance at that speed)
    3/8....4.5 @ 11:53 on the park trail

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - You've really got the brain juices flowing here now (a thin stream compared to my usual slow drip)...

I have about 60 pounds I could potentially lose. So it seems like a no brainer that I should lose weight (which I am trying, but struggling).

I try to go over in proteins and fats daily and come in under my carbs (per MFP macro ratios). I always do a recovery drink after runs to assist glycogen replenishment and take advantage of the protein uptake.

I am base building over the next couple months which fits in with the idea of relying more on proteins and fats over carbs, but I am confused about what is ideal. I hear of low carb runners and the consensus seems to be that they are slower (naturally) and things are generally more of a struggle than a runner taking in carbs. My own experiences of training for my first half while being on a carb restricted diet found me quite miserable trying to break into the 8 mile range, and soon any running at all felt quite miserable.

That all changed when I allowed carbs back into my diet. They had initially been restricted due to being pre-diabetic but by that point my running took care of those issues and I was not having any high fasting or two-hour-post-meal glucose readings after adding carbs back in (even recovery drinks which are the fastest absorbing sugars).

So, after reading what you posted it makes me suspect I am taking too many carbs, despite not taking in the full MFP carb recommendations. Which makes me wonder what is right?

I'm not presuming you know, just asking. Because I suspect that in coming to that knowledge you may have seen or heard something that has proven success.

What I know right now is that maintaining a slight deficit while training for halfs and fulls, with a very modest decrease in standard carb intake is not resulting in much weight loss at all. What does go away can come back later when training ramps up and hunger hits. So, I probably should be rethinking things.

What I am trying to avoid if possible is having to sacrifice training/distances of a half or full in order to lose weight. If I have to lose the weight first over a year or so, then start running again...well...I'm just not too keen on that for many reasons, not just being addicted to running currently.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Got in another 7.5 miles running between the bike shop and a ballgame this afternoon (Jays vs. Twins - Season ticket holder for the Jays for Spring, and Pirates for regular season @ddmom0811 ) while I had my tri-bike upgraded (going to full dura-ace). Taking a rest day tomorrow, then will try a long run Thursday.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 3 miles
    3/6 - 11 miles
    3/7 - 18 miles
    3/8 - 7.5 miles

Total: 58 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 142 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Half Ironman - Florida 70.3 - Apr 10
    Marathon - Pittsburgh - May 1
    Half Ironman - Augusta 70.3 - Sep 25
    Marathon - Chicago - Oct 9 (if accepted)
    Ironman - Florida - Nov 5
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Got a couple more runs in! 5k this weekend, so I need to get a few more runs in before then.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - You've really got the brain juices flowing here now (a thin stream compared to my usual slow drip)...

I have about 60 pounds I could potentially lose. So it seems like a no brainer that I should lose weight (which I am trying, but struggling).

I try to go over in proteins and fats daily and come in under my carbs (per MFP macro ratios). I always do a recovery drink after runs to assist glycogen replenishment and take advantage of the protein uptake.

I am base building over the next couple months which fits in with the idea of relying more on proteins and fats over carbs, but I am confused about what is ideal. I hear of low carb runners and the consensus seems to be that they are slower (naturally) and things are generally more of a struggle than a runner taking in carbs. My own experiences of training for my first half while being on a carb restricted diet found me quite miserable trying to break into the 8 mile range, and soon any running at all felt quite miserable.

That all changed when I allowed carbs back into my diet. They had initially been restricted due to being pre-diabetic but by that point my running took care of those issues and I was not having any high fasting or two-hour-post-meal glucose readings after adding carbs back in (even recovery drinks which are the fastest absorbing sugars).

So, after reading what you posted it makes me suspect I am taking too many carbs, despite not taking in the full MFP carb recommendations. Which makes me wonder what is right?

I'm not presuming you know, just asking. Because I suspect that in coming to that knowledge you may have seen or heard something that has proven success.

What I know right now is that maintaining a slight deficit while training for halfs and fulls, with a very modest decrease in standard carb intake is not resulting in much weight loss at all. What does go away can come back later when training ramps up and hunger hits. So, I probably should be rethinking things.

What I am trying to avoid if possible is having to sacrifice training/distances of a half or full in order to lose weight. If I have to lose the weight first over a year or so, then start running again...well...I'm just not too keen on that for many reasons, not just being addicted to running currently.

I think your not alone in trying to figure this out. I can cut the carbs, but I find my runs become sluggish. To remedy this, I go about my usual lower carb, high fat, all the protien I can get diet and grab a roll of spree's or chewy sour sweettarts before a run a few days a week. It seems to help. I can save fruit for post run.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Have you spoken to a professional dietician?
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Not for a running related diet. The last one I spoke to was for the carb restricted diet I took on a couple years back before running or anything, just to get my blood sugars under control.

I know, I know...

Talk to the dang dietitian already!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning & @Elise4270 The other thing, I know you may feel sluggish but just keep at it and try and overcome that mental dread? It takes a while, but your body does become more efficient of a fat burner in time.

I have done a lot of fasted runs that were 90 minutes at length that helped a lot. It was horrible in the beginning, but it became easier in time. 90 minutes of slow easy conversational pace. Drink caffein and maybe BCAA's before the run if you are worried about muscle breakdown.

I am not sure what else to suggest. But it does get easier in time.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Thanks, heading out to the articles.

I run fasted on basically all of my runs (short and long) and only take in carbs on the run if it is over 2 hours long. I've been doing that since last summer. So I had thought I had made the gains to more fat-burning, and probably have. I guess I'm just really confused (or in great denial) about why I am stuck for 9 months now at this weight, despite going from full marathon training, to speedwork/strength focused training, and now base building for some runs this summer/fall. The only thing that hasn't changed (really) is the weight. It has come down about 3 pounds since last October. I am still to this day fitting in tighter clothes. My shirt from my first full was too tight when I got it in October. I'm wearing it comfortably at this very moment. All last summer I saw similar gains leading up to that first full, except then I was gaining weight, but still fitting into tighter and tighter clothes.

I know, it makes zero sense. Wish I could figure it out. I am seriously considering the dietitian.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not for a running related diet. The last one I spoke to was for the carb restricted diet I took on a couple years back before running or anything, just to get my blood sugars under control.

I know, I know...

Really? Do they know about running? I thought they just helped sedentary folks with healthier choices. Be interesting to hear though.

@Stoshew71 Thanks for the articles. I'll keep at it!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I know, I know...

Really? Do they know about running? I thought they just helped sedentary folks with healthier choices. Be interesting to hear though.

That's why I hadn't done it before (I've considered it and even looked some up). There seem to be dietitians like the one I spoke to for everyday people, in my case it was to lose weight and get my blood sugars in line via a restricted carb diet. I'm not saying they can't advise for exercise, but I believe their training is more about nutrition in general (I could be so very wrong), and not necessarily, "Oh, you want to lose weight and train for a marathon?".

There are also sports nutritionists. However, every one of those I have looked up have info and feedback about athletes, not like you or I who run for recreation, but seemingly collegiate or professional athletes who need some dietary help to smash their next goal.

I have not engaged either kind of dietitian about this particular thing though, so I may very well just dive in and see if it would be worth it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Granted...I'm sure there is not very high demand for dietitians to advise obese or even morbidly obese people on proper marathon training nutrition.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71. This paragraph in the first article is different than what I have been doing; running fasted, avoiding carbs during runs of 2 hours or less and not eating true "low carb" the rest of the day after a recovery meal. Not saying I found the solution, but it is a lead to some different thinking.
    For runners looking to adopt this type of diet, the best approach is to follow a timed low-carb diet. This means you consume adequate amounts of carbohydrate before, during and immediately after exercise but during the rest of the day you focus on low-carb meals. This would essentially mean high-quality protein foods (meat, fish, eggs, soy, nuts, seeds, protein powders) and vegetables. By following this approach you enable your body to fuel your runs and recover effectively but also improve fat burning during the rest of the day.

ETA: And the second article really expounded on that. This is so interesting, and very different from anything I heard before.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I know, I know...

That's why I hadn't done it before (I've considered it and even looked some up). There seem to be dietitians like the one I spoke to for everyday people, in my case it was to lose weight and get my blood sugars in line via a restricted carb diet. I'm not saying they can't advise for exercise, but I believe their training is more about nutrition in general (I could be so very wrong), and not necessarily, "Oh, you want to lose weight and train for a marathon?".

There are also sports nutritionists. However, every one of those I have looked up have info and feedback about athletes, not like you or I who run for recreation, but seemingly collegiate or professional athletes who need some dietary help to smash their next goal.

I have not engaged either kind of dietitian about this particular thing though, so I may very well just dive in and see if it would be worth it.

I'd totally see a sports nutritionist! We are training. Even if it's recreational, I bet they have a plan. It's nice to hear your weight hasn't changed, like mine. We are just seeing a dynamic changes instead of dropping weight and not adding running gains. I look at the elites, and know that wasn't gained/lost in a short time.

Quick edit- I looked at the lower carb approach, but decided against it sometime ago. I have such a hard time sustaining a run anyhow, I put that first. Hence candy on longer run days. Maybe a low carb on rest days, fasted runs when possible, and complete elimination of empty calories when at all possible.

Running makes me feel like I'm entitled to a donut. But maybe I should put that on hold for weight loss.
  • shilshilshil
    shilshilshil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    03/02 - 3.1 miles
    03/03 - 3.1 miles
    03/05 - 6.2 miles
    03/08 - 3.1 miles

Thanks for the congrats over the weekend - you are all such a supportive group of people :)

Had some back/shoulder/chest pain yesterday (very unusual for me, but luckily it's gone today), so I stayed in and let it rest. Another first for me: I felt antsy about not going out for a couple days...

MTD: 15.5 / 40

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m at 6:45 pace with 400m recovery between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    Total: 48.48 miles

Overview:
    Today’s run was an easy 4.25 miles. I really wanted to run more today, but I’m just getting over being sick so I decided to take it extra easy. Finally having some nice weather so I enjoyed being able to run in shorts!!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • pacificnorthwitch
    pacificnorthwitch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Rough day, good run though. 3 more miles down.

13/25 mi for march.