March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace (pm)
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m at 6:45 pace with 400m recovery between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (am)
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (pm)
    Total: 58.59 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    No run today - got caught and had to stay over at work, then came home to a sick kid. Did do my strength training here though and did some window shopping for new running shoes.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 – 15.05 easy
    3/4 – scheduled rest day
    3/5 – 17.01 2 easy, 13 MP, 2 easy
    Weekly total 62.39 vs. target 62

3/6 – 7.70 easy
    3/7 – 8.17 easy + 4 strides
    3/8 – 11.67 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/9 – 11.03 easy
    3/10 –
    3/11 –
    3/12 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 62

March total to date – 85.96

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – I had originally planned 8 miles today, but talked to Coach yesterday about adjusting for Saturday's race. He told me to cut back on Thursday's speed work. The revised, easier Thursday workout ended up being about 5 miles shorter. I put 3 of the miles back in today, and will put the other 2 in on Saturday either before or after the race. On the bright side, I got to run in shorts and a tee shirt this evening, with temps in the 60s. Still needed lights, because it's still Daylight Wasting Time. Then again, even if Daylight Savings Time had started already I would have needed lights for the last half hour or so.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3.1.16 - 7.2 m. : Rolling Hills preset program.
    3.3.16 - 11 m. : 89:30.
    3.4.16 - 6.6 m. : 59:45.
    3.5.16 - 7.1 m. : 68:42.
    3.6.16 - 18.6 m. : LR, North side of Lake.
    3.7.16 - 7.2 m. : 5K EZ; 4.1 miles @ under an 8 min/mile pace.
    3.9.16 - 7 m. : Rolling Hills preset program.
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @karlLundy ... So sorry about your loss.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.

Theree are quite a few factors as I see it.

#1 Where is your calorie deficit coming from?
    protein, fats, carbs?
    #2 What is the focus of your runs?
    lots of slow easy miles vs tempo runs and speed work
    also, do you do hills? strength cross train?
    #3 how much weight do you have to lose?

#1 Make sure you get enough protein in. Otherwise you don't have the building blocks that will be used to repair muscle damage and recover from workouts (DOMS).
    Healthy fats are necessary in celluar administration. Think avacados, nuts, fatty fish (like salmon and talapia), fish oil, flaxseed)
    Then carbs (vegatables and fruits first, then make up with whole grains and potatoes). Quick carbs for immediate recovery (nessessary if you are doing 2 a days). If you have a lot of calories left to spare, then you can treat yourself.

So addressing carbs. Long Distance Runners do burn a lot of carbs because the amount of cardio they do which burns a lot of the glycogen that is stored in your liver and muscles. The more you use up your stored glycogen, the harder it is to run faster than your easy pace as you get near your lactate threshold and beyond.

The faster you run, the faster you use up your glycogen. The slower you run, your body will begin to transition more as a fat burner than a carb burner the more you get into your run. The more you practice this, the better your body makes this adjustment. It's hard if you are not used to running on lower glycogen levels, but you can get used to it (just as long as you are not doing any high intensity running). Eating gu's or gatorade while running reasonable amounts makes it harder to train the body in making this transition. It's something you have to get used to. Not only mental, but physiological. The more you run on carb depletion, the better your body produces the harmones that will burn the fat at a more efficient manner. But your body can only do this if you are within your aerobic intensity. (Think conversational pace).

So this brings up #2.

So if you plan on doing lots of anaerobic work, or high intensity running. You are going to have a real hard time if you are running in a carb depleted state. If you do hills, or do lots of strength cross training, you will need to recover from muscle damage. Your recovery from DOMS will be much longer if you are eating at a calorie deficit.

All foods (protein, fat, and carbs) can be used for energy and can be used to replace loss of glycogen.
    The only purpose in life (to your body) for carbs is for energy. Fat and protein have other primary purposes as I started to suggest above. Fat and protein can be used to replace glycogen in a process called gluconeogenesis. But low carb diets do this much less efficient than higher carb diets.

#3 The more weight you need to lose, the harder it is to run.

I seen a Table on Runners World http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/whats-your-ideal-weight-find-out

it says.. If you lose 2 pounds, you can be be 12.4 seconds faster at a 5K, 25 seconds faster at a 25K, 52 seconds in a HM. 5 lbs you can be 31 seconds at a 5K, 1:02 in a 10K, and 2:11 in a HM. 20 pounds will make you 2:04 faster in a 5K, 4:08 faster in a 10K, or 17:28 in a HM.

So the more weight you need to lose, the more beneficial it is to concentrate on weight loss. If you only have a few pounds to lose and plan to do a lot of tempo and speed work, or lots of strength training, or hill work, then there is a level of diminishing gains on weight loss.

However, if you are sore constantly, feel like your pains may turn into injuries, then something has to give. Either the running intensity/volume or the weight loss. Before you make this decision, also make sure you are getting 8 or more hours of sleep at night.

EDIT: Also, the more weight you are carrying, the more of an impact you make with each step (ground impact forces). So every time your foot hits the ground, your higher weight you are carrying stresses your bones, ligaments, and tendons due to these ground impact forces. So the more chance to injury you have especially as you increase mileage.

Great post, @Stoshew71 !

I've got about 2 lbs to go till I'm at a BMI of 21. I've lost 32 kg / 70 lbs since April last year.

I'm hoping at that weight, I won't feel my tummy bounce when I run, which I noticed a couple of weeks ago.

I've been reading a lot about body recomposition, but it's quite complicated.

Quick stats update while I'm here...

1 Mar – 3 km
    2 Mar – 4 km
    5 Mar – 5 km
    6 Mar – 10 km – first time ever!
    8 Mar – 7.5 km
    10 Mar – 5.1 km

Total: 34.6 km
    Goal: 60 km
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    A year ago, I could barely imagine running 60 miles in a week, and I wasn't anywhere close to that. It turns out that running 60 miles a week is different than I imagined a year ago.

The keys to getting here, for me: Build slowly. Don't increase intense work at the same time you increase mileage. Don't be ashamed to hold the mileage steady for 3 weeks or 6 weeks if the body needs time to adapt. Honor the rest days. Hold firm to the discipline of running easy days easy, and most days will be easy when building mileage.

The long runs of 20 or 22 miles draw admiration. Running the Yasso 800s impresses people. But what makes it all hang together is recovery, which means you don't do the impressive stuff all the time or even most of the time. But if you do it right, one day you realize that 6 miles or 8 miles is now an easy run, when you used to consider 3 or 4 miles an easy run. This sneaks up on you.

Thanks, @MobyCarp !

That post really resonates with me.

I need to prioritise achieving either a sub-30-minute 5k OR improving on the 10k Distance PB from last weekend.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I seem to recall someone I listen to saying if you increase your distance, your speed gets better in tandem.

Bit confuzzled. :smile:
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      3.7      3.7
    Mar 02      3.8T     7.5
    Mar 04      3.8     11.3
    Mar 08      4.1T    15.4
    Mar 09      5.1     20.5

exercise.png
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    No run again for me today, the kids are better but I've caught their sickness bug and feel awful. Hopefully better for my next run on sunday, I find I start to get a bit stressed out when I don't run.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    (ran a mile) ... just a little one won't hurt, right? #addiction

actually felt great!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,101 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @kateparry84 - I hear you, I'm the same. On days were I don't feel like running it easier to just do it even is it's a rubbish run than feeling the guilt all evening!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles

Just a slow and steady run today. Big biking weekend planned so will just do strength training tomorrow.

exercise.png
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I'm a runner and feel so good....until someone else wants to 'run' with me and then I realize I'm lucky if they consider me a jogger cause I'm ssssslllllooooowwwww. I especially dislike running with my husband even though he has learned to become patient with my pace but he is taller than me so his stride is much bigger then mine and he does PT every morning so he can run 3 miles like nothing and I'm all HOLY COW I just ran 2 miles in 25ish minutes woo hoo go me. BLAH! I can't wait to get faster.
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    I'm running at a 15 mile pace. I feel like I'm running, not jogging, but I know it's a slow run. I use to run 10 min miles. Last year before June I couldn't run at all past the second half of the first run on c25k because of the fluid retention. I've learned to balance sodium better to help (but that also means I have less sodium than I should when I am on top of it,) and also realized after Stans post on weight and running that I need to be patient because I will continue to get better as the weight comes back off. As long as I'm progressing I really am happy. I just get bogged down sometimes with being this slow.

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been able to do little more than skim this thread, lately. Holy posts!

@5BeautifulDays: I'm with you on the speed thing. I seem to be able to pace myself and push myself harder on a treadmill. Out in the real world, I get super frustrated that I cannot run nearly the same as I do indoors.

@runner_girl83: Good luck on your half! Let us know how those gels work for you. I've never heard of them - I'm interested. I haven't quite found an energy source I love, yet. I like the taste of the Cliff gels and the nut butter ones the best, but I find their icing/peanut butter-like consistency make it hard to eat on the run and they leave me super thirty because they stick to the inside of my mouth. I've been using the PowerBar gels because they go down easier, but I'm not really a fan of their taste and the upset my stomach, sometimes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-run tonight planned

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 14-Great Pi Run
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    Shooting for a (for me) high number: 60 miles. 4 miles x 3 days a week + 6 miles x 1 day a week. Will walk half and run half.

My goal also. Although with some around here, makes me seem like a slug. ;-)

For me. 4.5 miles 2x a week with 6 miles on Saturday. Lifting on the off running days.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am)

I would have done speedwork today, but decided to take it easy and run on some dirt/gravel trails (canal and one that goes by some historic farmsteads) because my race on Saturday will be plenty of speedwork since I'll be running it at max pace. Plus it is a gorgeous morning, so I didn't feel bad about taking my time and soaking it all in. In the mid-50s (12-13C), bright sunshine, blue skies, wispy clouds, birds are singing, geese are honking... feels like spring to me!

Tonight's group run 6 miler is a Pub Run, so we get free beer at the end! Been looking forward to this as sort of a bookend to my week; spring break starts after classes end Friday and I'm so ready for a week off!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am)

I would have done speedwork today, but decided to take it easy and run on some dirt/gravel trails (canal and one that goes by some historic farmsteads) because my race on Saturday will be plenty of speedwork since I'll be running it at max pace. Plus it is a gorgeous morning, so I didn't feel bad about taking my time and soaking it all in. In the mid-50s (12-13C), bright sunshine, blue skies, wispy clouds, birds are singing, geese are honking... feels like spring to me!

Tonight's group run 6 miler is a Pub Run, so we get free beer at the end! Been looking forward to this as sort of a bookend to my week; spring break starts after classes end Friday and I'm so ready for a week off!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)

That sounds like my kind of run!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have been on the struggle bus since my half, and I have no idea why. My 4-mile run felt like a 14-mile run, yesterday. Interestingly, my "this day in history" (or whatever it's called) on Facebook popped up with a post from me about an awful run on March 9, 2013 and me noting how I felt like I had never ran before. I felt the exact same way, yesterday. My entire being felt like I was out on my first-ever run. I blame the day. Next year, 3/9 will be a rest day. :smile: I had a couple other annoyances that certainly didn't help, as well.

I tweaked my right shoulder the other day. I have no idea what I did to it, but it hurts when I move my arm or neck in certain ways. Foam rolling (and my boyfriend) seem to have fixed it, it felt great. Then around mile 1.5, yesterday, it was so sore. It hurt to hold my arm up. I tried running with my arm hanging at my side (nearly impossible) I tried holding it over my head with my other arm (nearly impossible). I tried tying it up in the jacket I had tied around my waste (also didn't work). Frustrating. I see a chiropractor once a month, and my next appointment is next Tuesday. I hope he can fix it.

I also decided, yesterday, that I need new shoes. My shoes are well broken in, but they are only about halfway through their life, and they are highly disappointing. I keep re-lacing them hoping it will help, and all it seems to do is rub my feet in a different way. My last pair of shoes were Brooks Revenna 4. I absolutely LOVED them! They were the most comfortable running shoes I've owned in a long time (and I still use them as my non-running sneakers). So, naturally, my next pair of shoes were the Brooks Revenna 6. They are awful. I thought they just needed a little extra time break-in, but they have a good 150 miles on them, now, and they still suck. I really don't want to be spending another $100+ on another new pair of shoes right now, but it looks like a trip to the running store is in my near future. Ugh. :angry:

Anyway:
    03/01 3.47 mi
    03/03 3.25 mi
    03/07 2.71 mi
    03/09 4.00 mi
    TOTAL 13.43 mi
    GOAL 55.00 mi

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    (I really need to work in filling in my summer...there are a couple of races I've run for the past few years, but one conflicts with a wedding I have in May, and the other conflicts a music festival I'm attending in June.)
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png