Routine Detox diet yes or no

akerra27
akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
So after more and more research I am seeing more and more about "detoxing the body". Alot of some of these weekend/weekly recipes have some of the foods I am already eating.

So quick question

Do you guys find it important to do these detox regimes?

If so, how often and share any helpful insight on what to do.

Thanks!

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    No. As far as I am aware the body is great at detoxing itself. Liver, kidneys etc all do the job for you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    No. Your body doesn't need a detox, unless you're addicted to drugs or alcohol and then it should be done under the guidance of professionals not by drinking some magic potion or whatever other nonsense you're finding.
  • akerra27
    Reading alot of stuff on eating combination foods for a number of days to help the liver and kidneys rid of toxins to help metabolism.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Exactly what toxins do you think you have that you need to get rid of? Your liver and kidneys function just fine on their own and again, if not, you need a doctor not special foods.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    akerra27 wrote: »
    Reading alot of stuff on eating combination foods for a number of days to help the liver and kidneys rid of toxins to help metabolism.

Please please PLEASE link to the information you've been reading.

I want to see whether it is medically sound, researched information, gossip, or a sales pitch. Even just link to the one most convincing argument for "detoxing the body"?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    A science-based look at it which cuts through all the advertising woo: https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

Cleanses/detoxes are complete bunk and do absolutely nothing beneficial for you. Despite what the sellers claim (because they want to make money), your body is already perfectly equipped to "detox" itself. Their products are garbage which don't do anything.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    noooooooooooooooo
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I usually do one every week just to clear out your system
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    I usually do one every week just to clear out your system

Clear out your system of what? Name one specific "toxin" that a detox cleans out of you, and how it does it.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    If you want to help your liver and kidneys, just drink a little extra water. These "cleanses" don't really do much of anything except further stress your body and mess up your digestion.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Detoxes can be very dangerous---I'd research that.....
  • akerra27
    Thanks for the input. Several people I know do these detoxes personally I am not a fan..but thought I would check into it.

• akerra27
    http://www.doctoroz.com/article/48-hour-weekend-cleanse

Here is just one of many links I stumbled upon.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Doctor Oz is a well known BS'er. 'Toxins' is a very vague word and it is very vague for a reason, it has no specific meaning because if anyone looked for details, they'd find out it's a sham. But if you really want to do a 'detox' diet, you're probably going to do it regardless of how many people tell you not to. The internet is full of articles which will support literally anything in regards to dieting, and equally against. There is a lot of self-interest in this industry and so much money to be made with 'quick fixes' which don't actually fix anything.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    No. Dr oz, while perhaps a once great doctor, now just supports whom:whatever as long as he is paid for it.

If your liver and kidneys don't need "detoxing", provided they are working just fine. If they are not working the way they should, you need a hospital, not a "detox".
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Do you guys find it important to do these detox regimes?

No

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I've never done a "detox" or "cleanse". I assume to have it be effective you have to move stuff through the digestive tract rapidly. This is called diarrhea. Now it's obvious that the cleanse or detox loses it's appeal if you use its real name. Dr. Oz pushing diarrhea?--the cleanse would quickly lose it's charm. This is a fad that will pass, but diarrhea for several days can be dangerous, if not uncomfortable. Beware.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    http://www.doctoroz.com/article/48-hour-weekend-cleanse

Here is just one of many links I stumbled upon.

Ah. Even on their own first page of that link they put quotes round the word "detoxifying", showing that they know very well it's not a real thing.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    You'll find very few people on MFP that don't laugh when they hear the words "detox" or "dr. oz"