Runners: how do you balance high mileage and hunger and weight loss?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's easy to overestimate calories burned from high mileage, because the calculators usually don't take into account the amount you'd burn anyway (and also some people just naturally burn less calories otherwise on a long run day). I tend to assume calories are right on for shorter runs, but cut them back substantially for longer runs.

Also, at under 150 you burn less than 100 cal/mile even for shorter runs. (I started running again at 200 and am now 125, and it's so sad how many fewer calories I burn for the same distances -- at least it takes less time, I guess.)

Don't know if any of that helps, as I haven't run your numbers (although I agree you ought to be losing if you are eating 1670 consistently with that exercise), and you might want to have someone look at the logging -- the entries in MFP can be inaccurate if you haven't yet gotten the hang of the database.

How many do you burn per mile?

This is a good site (although you will need to do the math): http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

The net number is the important one.
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Sailor_Moon86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Made diary public and switched settings. Forgetting Scooby for now. Put myself at 1 lb a week of weight loss at lightly active level. Will shoot to eat that amount and a little more when I run :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also, I empathize with the issue. Ever since I've been in the healthy weight range I struggle to keep a deficit when running a lot. Trained for a half ironman last year and couldn't, trained for a marathon that took place 2 weeks ago, same thing. I also think it's easier for me to lose when running a little less.
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    The more cardio I do the hungrier I get, irrelative to whether I'm eating cals back.

I suspect your counting is inaccurate, you've got to get it right, then give it time, and cut down on running and eating, until you really know what's going on. You're going to run yourself into an injury at this rate and be really peed off!

I know right! Definitely do not want to get injured. Today my run was very slow and I was so tired. I run my own business so I'm constantly stressed out. I think I push myself too hard. I can honesty say I didn't enjoy my run today because of exhaustion and lack of sleep. Maybe increased mileage too quickly. Thank you for your help!
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also, I empathize with the issue. Ever since I've been in the healthy weight range I struggle to keep a deficit when running a lot. Trained for a half ironman last year and couldn't, trained for a marathon that took place 2 weeks ago, same thing. I also think it's easier for me to lose when running a little less.

Definitely trying less miles :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    The more cardio I do the hungrier I get, irrelative to whether I'm eating cals back.

I suspect your counting is inaccurate, you've got to get it right, then give it time, and cut down on running and eating, until you really know what's going on. You're going to run yourself into an injury at this rate and be really peed off!

I know right! Definitely do not want to get injured. Today my run was very slow and I was so tired. I run my own business so I'm constantly stressed out. I think I push myself too hard. I can honesty say I didn't enjoy my run today because of exhaustion and lack of sleep. Maybe increased mileage too quickly. Thank you for your help!

Anytime! Try finding something less taxing to switch off with, like yoga, or mindfulness. Running is such a taxing addiction. Make it your slave and not your master.

I'm a complete running crazy, but I do other things now too, like triathlon, as it was destroying my body and making me fat!!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Food scale (for peanut butter, cookies, rice, oats, everything solid you are consuming).

Consume more protein and fiber to help with fullness. Maybe even more fat to help with higher satiation. I see a lot of carby stuff and while I am not anti-carb, it might be leaving you hungrier than if you were consuming more protein.

I suspect water retention is playing a part here. Sounds like it's only been a couple weeks since you increased mileage? I'd set MFP to lose .5 lb a week, increase protein, maintain your mileage, and wait it out. Weight loss is not linear, it might take more than a couple weeks to get the scale moving again.

For calories burned while running the typical equation is: .63 x (weigh in lbs) x miles ran = total calories burned. That's more conservative than MFP or your HRM or a lot of online calculators will give you. But it's probably a good safe number you could eat back 50-75% of and feel pretty safe with. Stay hydrated. Give it more time.
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Along with fiber, have you considered eating fermented foods? From experience, I've noticed that adding fermented foods (kefir, kimchee, homemade sauerkraut) to my diet changed my "ravenous" state to a small signal of mild hunger. Not "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO EAT NOW OR I'M GOING TO PASS OUT." Unless I really have not eaten all day at all, I never feel ravenous anymore. Also, eating a banana before a workout helps with this. YMMV, of course. This is just what I've noticed from my experience.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Anytime! Try finding something less taxing to switch off with, like yoga, or mindfulness. Running is such a taxing addiction. Make it your slave and not your master.

I'm a complete running crazy, but I do other things now too, like triathlon, as it was destroying my body and making me fat!!

@Springfield1970 I find it interesting you said this because I have been training for a half marathon now for like 8 or 10 weeks, and although I am weighing pretty close to the same, maybe a 1lb less, I feel fatter. Like my stomach has gotten looser IDK. Can you quantify your experience?
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    @Springfield1970 I find it interesting you said this because I have been training for a half marathon now for like 8 or 10 weeks, and although I am weighing pretty close to the same, maybe a 1lb less, I feel fatter. Like my stomach has gotten looser IDK. Can you quantify your experience?

Losing visceral/abdominal fat, but skin not stretching back as quickly? Especially if you're an older dude.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I feel less hungry throughout the day if I replenish carbs within 5 minutes of ending a run. I will drink chocolate milk up to half the calories I burned. It can curb my appetite to the point that I even forget to eat a meal every so often. Doesn't work for everyone but it may be worth a try.
  • VelvetMerkin
    VelvetMerkin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do find that when I up my mileage I see an increase in weight of a pound or two, which I have always attributed to water weight, as my diet and logging are very consistent. If you are anywhere in the neighborhood of a 4k weekly deficit then I would just give it a little more time and I would guess that in the next week or two you'll see the scale catch up.
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not eating enough if you're that hungry all the time. On my long run days, I always end up eating over maintenance because I burn more than I would on a short or medium run.

As others have said, your calculations may be wrong so start with sedentary calories, subtract a 0.5lb deficit per week, and eat back most of your exercise calories. I only have 10-15 lbs to lose as well and this is working for me.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh prepackaged stuff! Maybe that's it. I eat lots of pre packaged stuff like Lenny and Larry cookies. I do measure my peanut butter, creamer, honey, milk, orange juice, cereal. But I use measuring cups not a scale. I use the scale for chicken breasts or sweet potatoes. I can't get around the idea that I'm stuck at this weight! With all the running?? And having worst case a deficit of at least 1750 a week with miscalculations? Jesus I hope it's water weight. I DO feel bloated and have this past week or two. But idk I think in order to cut the last ten pounds I may have to decrease mileage so I won't be starving. There's no way around it.

On the off-chance that you didn't notice...the Nutrition info for Lenny and Larry's cookies is for a half-cookie serving. I have co-workers that didn't realize they were eating 400 calories because they didn't notice the serving size. Worth a mention here.

I saw one at GNC, picked it up, and put it right back down because of that. OP, I agree with others who suspect you're having a logging issue of some kind.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is probably too high a goal; you really should expect to average half a pound.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi

Yes, when i started running it was before I found calorie counting. I used to get super hungry and either under or over eat, depending if I was in binge or starve mode. So I'd starve the muscle by under eating for a bit, then gain fat by overeating.

I need a tool like MFP to keep me on an even keel.

Sounds to me like you could do with some compound heavy weight lifting after your marathon.
  • Sailor_Moon86
    Options
    I don't weigh prepackaged stuff! Maybe that's it. I eat lots of pre packaged stuff like Lenny and Larry cookies. I do measure my peanut butter, creamer, honey, milk, orange juice, cereal. But I use measuring cups not a scale. I use the scale for chicken breasts or sweet potatoes. I can't get around the idea that I'm stuck at this weight! With all the running?? And having worst case a deficit of at least 1750 a week with miscalculations? Jesus I hope it's water weight. I DO feel bloated and have this past week or two. But idk I think in order to cut the last ten pounds I may have to decrease mileage so I won't be starving. There's no way around it.

On the off-chance that you didn't notice...the Nutrition info for Lenny and Larry's cookies is for a half-cookie serving. I have co-workers that didn't realize they were eating 400 calories because they didn't notice the serving size. Worth a mention here.
    Haha yes I knew that :) always eat half or .25!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I saw one at GNC, picked it up, and put it right back down because of that. OP, I agree with others who suspect you're having a logging issue of some kind.

I still have one occasionally, but I split it in half, re-wrap the other half and save it for the next day. I really like the peanut butter cookie and the lemon poppy seed one.

I feel like I wouldn't be able to eat just half. I AM bulking now, so maybe I'll pick a few of these up today. Lemon poppy sounds amazing. Sorry to temporarily derail; carry on! :D
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Am I the only one seeing the 35-40 miles a week running and not matching it up with 1670 calories per day AND not losing weight.

Either the calorie counting is off or something.

She's losing, just not as fast as she wants.
    And she's seeing high cortisol related bloat (educated guess - stressing about weight, upping miles, under eating, TOM == bloat city)

OP: two weeks is too short a time to evaluate "not losing".
    Either reduce miles, or keep your miles and eat a little more. Assure your macros for fat and protein are dialled in.

Give your body time to recover. You'll see that the weight issue is related to exercise stress, etc...

Drink lots of water.

And reduce your loss objective - at 10 lbs to go, you'll only lose about 1/2 lb a week reasonably.

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    Maybe it's water weight? I know I've lost inches. Clothes fit better. Even if I was off by half, 2000 caloric deficit should produce at least half a pound of Loss.

I believe so and I know I am going through the same thing. Water retention is normal to help with the healing of muscle tissue that you're tearing up with the weightlifting. I hit a plateau when I began lifting again too. If your calorie count is on point, it is water. Keep it up and you will see results.

I think that's where I am as well. I can google this, but I'm curious how to break through this so I'm not retaining so much water, other than drinking more water (which does seem counter-intuitive).