March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Rest day today, no miles to report.

Random thoughts on the foam rolling discussion:

I've never used a foam roller, and never particularly felt the need. But enough runners say they're anywhere from beneficial to vital that I can't discount the possibility that they might be useful for me. I've just been too cheap and/or lazy to experiment with them to date.

I have observed that beginners and females tend to be louder and more frequent in their praise of foam rollers. But that doesn't mean they're only useful for people who are still developing a their running chains. One of the most experienced male endurance athletes I know mentions foam rollers as a good part of recovery; he typically mentions them in the context of use after a challenging workout. "Challenging" here could mean intensity with moderate to long distance, or simply extreme long distance.

I imagine the idea behind a foam roller is much the same as the idea behind a massage. I did take a free massage after the Buffalo Marathon. It hurt while in progress, but felt much better afterward. Conceptually, if I were to use a foam roller I'd have the disadvantage of not knowing what I'm doing as well as a trained massage therapist does; but the advantage of being able to feel the effects as I roll and make adjustments. Over time, I suspect I could learn to use a roller effectively . . . but first I have to see a need to try one.

I also suspect that foam rollers are much more useful for some runners than for others. One size does not fit all. I am struck by the comment that someone was told to use a roller by their PT. I was in PT in 2013, and mine never mentioned foam rollers. That doesn't mean the PT didn't think they're useful, just that she didn't think they were useful enough for *me*. There's a lot of stuff I could do that wouldn't hurt, but might not do enough good to be worth putting a lot of time into. Foam rolling might just fall into that category, for me. It certainly does not fall into that category for everyone.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day

I thought about throwing in a couple easy miles today, but decided to respect the rest day. Two miles pre-race tomorrow should be good enough to shake off the cobwebs. I'm just gonna make sure I do my foam rolling tonight and keep active by cleaning and doing laundry rather than do my usual Friday night lay-in-bed-and-watch-Netflix-all-evening routine. I may throw in an extra couple miles at some point tomorrow though to hit a round 65 for the week instead of "just" 63. We'll see how I feel post-race!

I'm super excited for this race. I have no doubt that after jamming to the Hamilton soundtrack for an hour in my car driving to the race, I'll be super pumped and ready to shoot off from the start like a rocket. It's been about four months since I've really raced, and I'm so excited to get back at it and use these legs for some speed!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Good luck with the race tomorrow
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Didn't run yesterday or today. Needed a rest day then today so much going on. I got up and dressed to run but somebody had other plans for me. Anyways, looks like I have another job, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with running but I'm finally on a losing streak again with weight and feeling more confident again and just real motivated so I will figure something out I am sure.

I'm feeling better today than I have in a long time, just at peace and relaxed, it feels amazing. It is my "baby girls" 21st birthday today though, lots of celebrating but this getting old stuff is creeping upon me. She's my youngest with four older brothers. I don't feel old enough to be their mom, but 45 is around the corner so no denying it lol.

This group has definitely been moving even faster this month, I enjoy reading and am always rooting everyone on just hard to reply to every post. Have a great weekend everyone!
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Let's beat this March ab1e259945fec1a0b7e09de4567fe38c-d6qgssu.gif into a msn_icon_oh_sheep_by_jychjych.gif

:p

exercise.png
    • 03 - 7.5mi Commute run to work
    • 07 - 7.5mi Commute
    • 11 - 6.4mi Fisherman's Wharf Run - Embarccadero: Tourist dodge 'em
    • 18 -
    • 22 -
    • 24 -
    • 29 -
    • 31 -

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif

• CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    03/08:3.3 miles

03/10 3.28 miles

exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @whatang I can relate to this. My shoes must be wondering if I am hurt. I have been on the road for work all week so getting home very late and no energy. My last run was on sunday so I am getting antsy-stir crazy.
    whatang wrote: »
    So I totally bailed on last night's run... worked about 2 hours later than planned, then when I got home around 8pm just sat on the bed to read mfp for 5 minutes before going out to run... and totally passed out asleep . I decided to "listen to my body" and postpone it until today instead :)
    Yes, isn't it annoying if work sabotages your running?
    I had this nice long run planned for tomorrow, route all mapped out. It should take me about 2:40 to run it. Today I found out I'll have to guide some visitors around at work tomorrow - one group from 10-12, one from 15-17. I might get paid a little bit extra for that, but there's no way to squeeze my run in! At least, not without rushing like crazy and spending all the time worrying I'm going to be late. :/
    The weather forecast for tomorrow (mostly sun, only a little cloudy, 8°C) is much better than for Sunday (rain, rain, rain). Maybe I'll try talking really fast for the second tour to finish early! Sunset is at 18:35, twilight until 19:08, so I might still get a large part of the run done before it's completely dark. Not that I'm scared of running in the dark, but at the moment I do that all the time during the week. Sunshine for a run would be a welcome change...

exercise.png
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

2/3........5k....... With Man flu
    4/3........5k
    6/3........7k
    9/3........5k..... The didn't go to the toilet before running, run. Pleasant.
    11/3......5k

Jan 45k
    Feb 61k
    Mar 27k

Goals for March:
    1. 13 runs @ 74km......5run at 27k
    2. 8km long run...........7k
    3. Be less slow............still slow
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps
    11---5.41

Changed shoes, had a GU. Better.

47.52 miles/150

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  374.43 / 2016 (Did you notice many more miles added to RTY? I got desperate and added my walking miles at work. Hey, the challenge is "run, walk, crawl" work is a crawl :).)
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    3/01: 3 miles, easy (am)
    3/01: 6 miles, 2x1 mile at LTP (7:30) then 800m @ 5K pace (pm)
    3/02: 6 miles, easy
    3/03: 5 miles, 5x800m @ 6:45 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/04: 5 miles, easy
    3/05: 6 miles, easy
    3/06: 13.1 miles, long and easy
    3/07: Off, have the flu
    3/08: 4.25 miles, easy
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (am)
    3/09: 5 miles, easy (pm)
    3/10: 4.75 miles, 3x800m @ 6:45 pace + 2x400m @ 6:30 pace with 400m recovery jog between
    3/11: 5 miles, super easy
    Total: 68.36 miles

Overview:
    Super easy 5 miles today, just in time for another beautiful Chicago sunset :3 My next 5K race is tomorrow. I’ve upped my mileage and changed my training strategy a lot since the last one so I really hope I can break 22 min this time!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K)
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - good luck this weekend!

Had a great day until I was rear ended on the way home. Car is undrivable because the back window is shattered (Prius). I had my bike rack on and that got bent into the back window. Deja Vue - I was also rear ended in October. Sigh. The good news is I'm fine.

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training

exercise.png

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is doing well with their goals. This thread is growing and growing as the months go by! I can't keep up!

1 Mar Rest
    2 Mar 13.05 km
    3 Mar 7.16 km
    4 Mar 7.42 km
    5 Mar 23.39 km
    6 Mar Rest
    7 Mar 7.42 km
    8 Mar 7.44 km
    9 Mar 13.29 km
    10 Mar Rest
    11 Mar 7.44 km
    12 Mar 24.34 km

Total: 110.95 km / 200 km

exercise.png
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    RE: Foam Rolling and stretching

Foam rolling is very good. I need to do it some more. I used to do it on a regular basis and it always relaxed and stretched the muscles. I complimented it with the yoga for runners that I used to do all the time too.

As far as stretching before and after a run. Dynamic stretching before a run and static stretching after a run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBp7ZJtyVIA

At work, I do have a tennis ball and have been known to sit on it and roll it around. I used to have my own private cube and could get away with this, and now they moved me over into a cube that I share with a partner. So I have to wait till he leaves. hahaha

I just sat on the tennis ball today! Pure magic ha! I sometimes use it on my shoulder back area too, but have to be careful, seems a fine line between helping that area and making it much worse for me.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Easy 5k in 25:00 (8:04/mi)
    3/1 15 easy
    3/3 20 easy LSD
    3/7 easy 2mi @ 7:45/mi
    3/11 easy 5k (8:04/mi)
    Total: 40.1/150
  • pacificnorthwitch
    pacificnorthwitch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    3 miles on trails today.

16/25 miles for march!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    March 2016
    01/3……….09.44……….9.44
    02/3……….02.95……….12.39
    03/3……….15.36……….27.75
    04/3……….05.01……….32.76
    05/3……….10.00.........42.76
    06/3……….06.20……….48.96
    07/3……….03.94……….52.90 + strength
    08/3……….13.65……….66.55
    09/3…….Sick Children...…66.55
    10/3……….03.79.........70.34
    11/3……….05.01……….75.35
    12/3……….21.11……….96.46

I did my first half this morning. It was the happiest run I think I’ve ever done!!! The run was for Cancer awareness.. Although not a happy subject, I think it made me run better – knowing I ‘needed’ to do it. And my right knee (my good knee!) started having issues at 13km, at which I started having walk breaks. I found that running on flat ground was fine, though the slightest incline or decline and the pain would really flare up so I walked all hills and ran the flats really slow. Physio this week woohooo!

I have been drinking more water and eating more carbs the last few days, adding bits of pasta as sides, breadrolls and even had pizza for dinner last night :smile: I had fuel (Winner's Gel) at 9km and then another at 13km (I would have had it a bit later though I knew I wouldn't pass another water fountain for 4-5km) I also mapped out a route that went past the toilet block a few times which was good. I got my water bottle from my car around the 17km mark, filled it at a water fountain nearby and carried that for the rest of the run. Have to say I feel fantastic (aside from the knees occassionally having a niggle - but I know I pushed them so I can live with that!)

Luckily, I also put a whole new soundtrack on my phone last night, ramped up with good hits from the 80’s! Running along to INXS “Kick” .. and Deff Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me” :smiley: Should have seen me dancing!!!! hahaha

I was a little down, I was aiming to do it under 2:50 though only being 3 mins over is pretty good. I think if I hadn’t had so much trouble with my knee I would have smashed it :wink: and that’s fine.. I just wanted to see how I would go so I can’t complain! My first half is done! So, so glad I did it!!
    Now to eat a feast!! :lol:

March Races
    *12/3 Leukaemia Foundation Run – 21.1 km 2:53:32
    *20/3 Melanoma Awareness March – 4 km
    *The March Charge Monthly Challenge – 150 km
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 Again, many congrats on your first half! How exciting!

@MobyCarp Thanks for that measured post on foam rolling.

@Stoshew71 Useful videos from that guy, thanks!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 Mar – 3 km
    2 Mar – 4 km
    5 Mar – 5 km
    6 Mar – 10 km – first time ever!
    8 Mar – 7.5 km
    10 Mar – 5.1 km
    12 Mar – 5 km – parkrun PB!

Total: 39.6 km
    Goal: 60 km

Did parkrun in 30:14. Very happy with that, since I knocked 44 seconds off my last PB!
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the Diabetes! :frowning: It can be dealing with highs and lows, I've seen friends go through it. I hope you feel better soon! x Also, is your profile pic from the Disney run? I'm not sure if you have posted photos (I may have missed it!) Do you mind posting some more pics here? :) Have always wanted to go to Disneyland!

I would rather it was me with diabetes, but it's my 19-year-old autistic son. :( We are just starting to get our feet under us, but until he's back in school full-time, I'm on a "run when I can, which isn't often" schedule. I've sadly been so busy with that and some emotional/school stuff for my 17 year old that I let my other kids get behind in their schoolwork, too...so we're all a mess here! We have spring break coming up in a couple of weeks--I'm hoping that will be the reset we need to get our act together!

The Disney run and trip was a blast, though. I didn't take very many pictures, sadly. This is my favorite of myself, though. "I am not fast, but I am strong!":
    56z754jmw9me.jpg

Sorry to hear about everything you are going through! That is a lot to deal with!! You are being a really great mum though - Your son is very lucky to have you :smile: School holidays are just around the corner here too.. A few more weeks and the kids are on holidays for 2 weeks over Easter.
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Wow! 26 pages?!? No way I am going to be able to catch up with that. Will try in the next day or two.

My MIL passed away last Thursday. Between going to see her just before, helping with arrangements and then the visitation / funeral, no time to keep up and very few opportunities to run.

I am so behind on this thread,, can't believe I missed this! Really sorry about your MIL! That's extremely sad news. I hope you and your wife are surrounded by a lot of family and friends x