Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I don't think I know anyone who has had no fruits or veggies for weeks. That's just being dramatic.

Actually I was lying around sick one day and saw several that looked like they were fully documenting their diet, not being dramatic (unless you count fries or chips).

Since around 90% of Americans don't get the recommended amount of fruits or veggies, the idea that some don't eat any is not dramatic.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6426a1.htm

I guess you and I live in totally different universes. More evidence that a universal this food is bad and this food is good mentality is flawed.

So you don't think people should get the recommended amounts of fruits and veggies before the cakes, chips, etc. ?

Not saying those things are bad in reasonable amounts but would think most people would want to put nutrition first.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the graphic because it puts Diet Coke in the "go" category so I'm planning to use it in the next "Diet Coke is evil" thread. Oh look, there's one now!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think I know anyone who has had no fruits or veggies for weeks. That's just being dramatic.

Actually I was lying around sick one day and saw several that looked like they were fully documenting their diet, not being dramatic (unless you count fries or chips).

Since around 90% of Americans don't get the recommended amount of fruits or veggies, the idea that some don't eat any is not dramatic.

I guess you and I live in totally different universes. More evidence that a universal this food is bad and this food is good mentality is flawed.

So you don't think people should get the recommended amounts of fruits and veggies before the cakes, chips, etc. ?

Not saying those things are bad in reasonable amounts but would think most people would want to put nutrition first.

I think she's saying most people she knows do.

Same with me, for the most part. I know my subculture isn't the US average.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

There is a lot of nutrition in the WHOA/Bad column. And let's not out words in my mouth shall we???

I asked you a question.

Stated another way what should people (general population) prioritize if on a calorie restricted diet? Fruits and veggies or high calorie foods with limited nutrients?

Again, not saying you can't have some of those foods, but IMO, should not be at the expense of nutrient dense foods.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

There is a lot of nutrition in the WHOA/Bad column. And let's not out words in my mouth shall we???

I asked you a question.

Stated another way what should people (general population) prioritize if on a calorie restricted diet? Fruits and veggies or high calorie foods with limited nutrients?

Again, not saying you can't have some of those foods, but IMO, should not be at the expense of nutrient dense foods.

If I don't get my 5 a day, I can't have dessert? Really?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I asked you a question.

How can you have any pudding?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I asked you a question.

Some days I just have 5 desserts. For realz. You can check my diary.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

A bachelor attorney friend of mine claimed this was the case for him. He never had food at home; and was practically 100 percent takeout....My stepson's dad and step mother have gone a week at a time not serving any veggies....I do agree that it's probably really rare.

• mccindy72
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

A bachelor attorney friend of mine claimed this was the case for him. He never had food at home; and was practically 100 percent takeout....My stepson's dad and step mother have gone a week at a time not serving any veggies....I do agree that it's probably really rare.

Pretty challenging to find even takeout that doesn't have any veggies included in it, unless it's specifically ordered that way. A lot of people really don't understand just how many different foods qualify as vegetables.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Pretty challenging to find even takeout that doesn't have any veggies included in it, unless it's specifically ordered that way. A lot of people really don't understand just how many different foods qualify as vegetables.

My friend is a pepperoni only pizza guy. I suppose some consider the sauce a veggie. I am not sure the condiments on fast food burgers is enough to qualify...I have to say that when I ate with my friend in restaurants he really did order zero veggie items. But I suppose it is fair to say that some plant food slipped through.

• hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think discussions about personal experiences with certain foods, controling hunger, and learning what others have experienced should be a part of the MFP community. If it helps someone to talk about their individual challenges with certain foods and other issues then we should encourage these folks to post.
    It may be tedious to those who have found their way to the proven CICO lifestyle, however some are still learning what foods work for them.
    I have learned that my hunger soars when I indulge in certain foods. Are they bad foods? Of course not. But I learned a lot from people here how to manage my diet so I can maintain CICO.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I asked you a question.

How can you have any pudding?

HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT?!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    I think discussions about personal experiences with certain foods, controling hunger, and learning what others have experienced should be a part of the MFP community. If it helps someone to talk about their individual challenges with certain foods and other issues then we should encourage these folks to post.
    It may be tedious to those who have found their way to the proven CICO lifestyle, however some are still learning what foods work for them.
    I have learned that my hunger soars when I indulge in certain foods.
    Are they bad foods? Of course not. But I learned a lot from people here how to manage my diet so I can maintain CICO.

I agree. It does help to talk about foods that I have a hard time controlling.

Sometimes I think posters who haven't eaten at a deficit for a long time forget what it's like. The people who haven't ever had the need to restrict calories have no idea what it is like.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    Are they bad foods? Of course not. But I learned a lot from people here how to manage my diet so I can maintain CICO.

Sometimes I think posters who haven't eaten at a deficit for a long time forget what it's like. The people who haven't ever had the need to restrict calories have no idea what it is like.

I think also that people tend to make assumptions about other people without knowing anything about them. How does one person know if another has eaten at a deficit or restricted calories? Everyone has been through something difficult, here.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »

Take a poll, you will be surprised about how wrong you may be.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

My friend is a pepperoni only pizza guy. I suppose some consider the sauce a veggie. I am not sure the condiments on fast food burgers is enough to qualify...I have to say that when I ate with my friend in restaurants he really did order zero veggie items. But I suppose it is fair to say that some plant food slipped through.

I used to get takeout too much when I was gaining weight. I mostly got Indian food, including vegetarian choices such as the vegetable jalfrazie. The problem was not a lack of veg. It was that the veg came with too much high cal extras (especially ghee, but also naan, as I do love it).