Low carb diet leading me to constant binges - help! -

Options
Untilproud11
Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have pcos and I have lost 35lbs then completely stalled for 2 months my doc told me that there is great success for people with pcos who go low carb so I started and yes i lost 4 lbs it seemed to be working perfectly, but I have a sweet tooth and every end of the week i would end up binging big on sweets and gaining them again and again for 2 months
Low carb high protein makes me always crave the things i really like
Why ?
I finally found what works , my measurements changed and i did lose it does give ne great energy , its so frustrating that mentally i can't control myself, i was 150lbs yesterday , today i woke up at 154lbs after a major binge on a pie and cake last night :(
Im so depressed

Replies

• Jeniccm
    Jeniccm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Not sure why but maybe low carb isn't for you?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Jeniccm wrote: »
    Not sure why but maybe low carb isn't for you?

^^
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    But thats the only way the scale moved after 2 months stuck ... I feel if i go back to just watching calories nothing will happen
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    I forgot to ad my stats
    5'1
    Female
    154lbs
    28 yo
    Wants to lose another 10lbs (just 10!)
    Eat 1375cals
    No excercise due to knee and back problems
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    But thats the only way the scale moved after 2 months stuck ... I feel if i go back to just watching calories nothing will happen

If you keep binging nothing will happen either. ....
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Low carb may not be the right choice for you, but I'm curious as to why you would do low carb high protein. Most low carbers seem to do low carb high fat, which they say they find more filling and helpful in reducing cravings. Perhaps not getting enough fat could be a contributing factor to the binging?
  • greaseisstilltheword
    greaseisstilltheword Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I can only offer my experience... I too have PCOS & was advised to decrease carbs by my doctor. I do low carb, high fat, moderate protein. I am the same height & have gone from 164 to 129 in 7 months. So it can work. The calorie deficit comes from the fat...that's what will keep you full & make you less likely to binge. The first two weeks were HARD, but if you push through, it's worth it. Weight loss was a bonus... I also now have no pain & no cysts. You CAN substitute with sugar free sweets if desperate, but it's a slippery slope. Just don't deprive yourself of good fats with texture...that can help the carb cravings. And, of course, berries & other fruit can work too. Good luck!
  • greaseisstilltheword
    greaseisstilltheword Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can also join the low carber group on here...lots of support & good advice. There's also a PCOS group too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If low carb is making you do this...do you think it's an optimal choice for you? There are so many ways to go about creating a diet you can adhere to, that won't make you binge. Just because someone tells you to eat a certain way, it doesn't mean it is the best way-or the best way for YOU.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    mita271 wrote: »

If you keep binging nothing will happen either. ....

This.

Try reducing your carbs slooooooowly and don't cut out all the things you like in one go.

Have you seen a physio for your back/knee? Some more calories through exercise would probably help.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Maybe allow room for a small carby thing that you crave every day?
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The protein might be doing you in. Low carb high fat not high protein is recommended for PCOS, which is what drew me to it. What are your gram/percentage goals?

For sweets I eat sugar free varieties or dark chocolate, though after a while your sweets cravings should greatly diminish. There are low carb ice cream, Atkins desserts, and such that can tide you over.

However, the "diet" will only help with the physical side of your carb dependency/sugar addiction. The mental side is up to you. I know when I give in, my hunger becomes insatiable and I feel like crap physically and mentally. That alone is motivation. Remind yourself of that next time you find yourself thinking you need a piece of cake. What is that going to achieve?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you and your doctor think low carb is the way to go, do low carb high FAT, moderate protein.

And join these two groups for support and guidance:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If you and your doctor think low carb is the way to go, do low carb high FAT, moderate protein.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

This is what I was going to say... (minus the super helpful links!)

In my experience, high fat when doing low carb is key for satiety.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just adding to the pile-up - it's not working if you can't stick with it, and low carb means high fat, not high protein. Try easing into it, don't go keto at once. 20%P 20%C 60%F can be a place to start.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It sounds like low carb may not be right for you if you find that you can't stick with it.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    What, exactly, is low carb for you? 20g, 150g? I struggled with the same trouble when I tried atkins a decade or so ago. I couldn't make it work for me. Zero to few carbs of the grain variety leads me to feeling strung out and irritable, which led back to binging.

It took a great deal of retraining on the portion control side of things, but now I rarely have a meal without a grain or potato. My morning smoothie has oatmeal, my protein drink is low carb but veggie protein, if not in a rush I'll make egg salad or peanut butter and jelly on ONE whole wheat slice of bread. Dinner will have potatoes, rice, sometimes pasta that I mix with spaghetti squash and the combo works for me.

I'm still getting the flavors and emotional sustenance, my blood sugar stays level because each of those meals also has a good amount of protein, and I don't hide from fat.

I keep it all within my calories, and if I want more I get it on a workout day, or I preworkout to prepare for a holiday, and/or post workout to compensate for any calorie overages.

I don't feel the need to binge anymore since I get what I like as a matter of course. My sweet tooth is mostly chocolate related, Reeses Peanut butter specific.

I mix Orgain chocolate protein with PB2 powdered peanut butter as a POST workout drink. This specifically is like a reward for me to workout.

Before I found those 2 products I'd post workout eat 1/2 a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Same general calories and very sweet to me. No chocolate though.

I also have cocoa powder in my coffee sometimes, I use stevia to sweeten. Cafe Mocha.

And as I've said, the pasta craving is really mostly for the sauce, so I make a rich meat sauce with ground turkey and ladle it on spaghetti squash with just a minimum of whatever pasta the rest of the family is having. Its not quite the same but it works.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »

This is what I was going to say... (minus the super helpful links!)

In my experience, high fat when doing low carb is key for satiety.

Ditto. High protein can negate the effects of low carb and end up raising insulin, and BG, which can affect appetite. Those who go high fat with low carb generally report a drop in appetite and cravings.

Ditto a PP who said you need to get through the first week or two without treats (usually). Cravings will drop by then for most.

Also, if sodium gets low you will get tired, maybe some brain fog, muscle aches and spasms, and headaches. Increasing sodium to 3000-50000mg per day will make most feel better. This could help cravings if sweets are sought out due to low energy levels.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you find it hard to cut out carbs I would start gluten free and whole grain. Having Gluten and refined grains increases your insulin resistance and won't allow you to use the insulin you're taking in. You might notice that you feel fuller and then you can gradually lower the amount of breads, pastas, etc. Having less sweets you'll also notice you crave it less. You could try stocking up on fruit and eating that when you crave cake/cookies/whatever and then if you still crave it just have a small portion.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Reduce the protein. Increase fats and oils.