Depression and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    @68myra I've been told that acupuncture would maybe help by different people on occasion but it wasn't until I tried like everything else (regular counselors - many different ones, yoga, exercise, medication, supplements, hospitalizations/hospital programs, different outpatient/partial programs, trauma yoga, EMDR, ect) that I was desperate to try it. I only tried it because the other week I got two out of seven nights of sleep. In five days I only got 5 hours of sleep total cause my body was so stressed. So I was desperate. I was completely shocked that it seems to be helping but very thankful also. I mean I don't really understand how it could be helping so when I have more energy I should really read up on it but it's been nice to find something that didn't requite me to "do" anything besides show up in order to reap some benefits.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    tinger12 wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Take vitamin B complex and fish oil. No more depression.

If it was that simple I would have recovered from my life long depression 30 years ago. Garbage science is just garbage.

It is true that those alone will not outright cure depression, but I have noticed improved symptoms on a series of supplements (won't go into detail, what works for me may not work for others). I have actually managed to drop a couple pounds for the first time in over a year without a crash diet, and I'm finding more energy which was always the worst symptom of my depression: constant fatigue. Now with more energy I can actually manage a 20-30 minute walk every couple of days. I'm seeing some improvements, especially in my level of positivity toward the future. Just saying, they may be worth a try if you don't eat a super balanced diet, I know I don't!

The science isn't garbage, just lacking. Not a ton of studies, not a lot done with large enough sample groups. One if the supplements I'm trying only showed clinical promise in ONE study but there simply wasn't a repeat done. It was found to be equally as helpful as an SSRI I recently decided wasn't helping me enough. There is indeed a lot of bad info and bad supplements out there, just wanted to give my two cents.

On some days, taking my B complex definitely makes me feel less homocidal :) life is hard, depression sucks, but I have to admit, there are days when I can definitely feel the difference after having my B in the morning. Which gets me thinking; I haven't taken it in weeks and my mood has been incredibly low. Gotta remember it tomorrow.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Soooo.... Just here to vent. Met with shrink this morning and decided to try, again, something I've used in the past with success..... Get to the pharmacy expecting to pay $70. & they say I owe $192. Since I'm building up the dosage....this will last about 3 weeks. Yikes. I left it there. I truly wonder if this med roulette is worth it.
    Ok, vent over. Thanx :-)
  • yourhiddengem
    Options
    68myra wrote: »
    Soooo.... Just here to vent. Met with shrink this morning and decided to try, again, something I've used in the past with success..... Get to the pharmacy expecting to pay $70. & they say I owe $192. Since I'm building up the dosage....this will last about 3 weeks. Yikes. I left it there. I truly wonder if this med roulette is worth it.

Aw :( That sucks about the price thing. I REALLY hope this route you're taking ends up helping though *hugs*
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    68myra wrote: »

Lord no, I think. I wouldn't have paid it either! I'm pretty much going to ignore any doctors that suggest I take medication for depression ever again. I've learnt my lessons.
  • 68myra
    Options
    thanks for the support, guys.
    I called my insurance and it appears they are charging me a "penalty" for not ordering the generic. I told the rep that I've tried generic (when it first came out) and it didn't work for me. She is going to apply for a "penalty waiver" after hearing from my dr. and get back to me. I am glad I'm finding this ridiculously amusing, and i'm not in a puddle of tears. (thanks, brintellix?)

@brb_2013 I truly wish i could forgo medication. I've tried several times and it has always been very ugly. I do wonder if i've been taking meds for so very long (on/off for 30 years, mostly on for last 20), my brain will never be able to cope without some chemical. I have friends having success with medicinal pot, but i'm in NC ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @68myra me too, I'll probably always be on something. the chemicals in my brain are off.
    pot makes me anxious and nauseous.
    exercise is an additional treatment that helps me feel better.

myra saw this already but if anyone needs a giggle
    funny running memes

a few more

new runner/new workout funny

feeling down, listen to kevin hart, or better yet run with kevin

hope i brightened a few days. researching this made me happy
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Depression and Anxiety over time, can overtake our entire thought processes and decision making and medication can and does alter the extreme versions of both. The most impressive studies which are often cited singing the praises of a wide of range of pharmaceutical psychotropic medication indicate significant improvements for the truly clinically depressed and anxious. It is interesting to note however, that the more moderate cases of individuals who experience depression and anxiety (and this accounts for the vast majority of us) are not significantly impacted by most medications and in fact compare in a rather intriguing way to the benefits of placebo. The wild claims that were made my companies which produced drugs such as Effexor and Zoloft have led to enormous class action suits which have cost the pharmaceutical millions of dollars in terms of compensation. Sadly, the studies conducted by these companies were not released and shared as freely when the results were not favourable and this has meant that professional world-wide have been mislead. I am NOT opposed to medication. I am just weary that there is not a panacea with reference to the medical world. I think those of us who are depressed and anxious have come by these moods in VERY real ways in our upbringing, our traumas, our environmental challenges and our nutrition. Of course biology and genetics contribute but I think we need to put the spotlight on the social dimensions and causes of depression and anxiety and this allows us to feel hopeful that there is a lot we can do to change our brains. We have to understand the mechanisms of Depression and Anxiety and understand how we may have developed ways to generate these moods (unintentionally) in our minds. I am studying this as we speak so I will share more as I become more knowledgable and more confident.
  • 68myra
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Depression and Anxiety over time, can overtake our entire thought processes and decision making and medication can and does alter the extreme versions of both. The most impressive studies which are often cited singing the praises of a wide of range of pharmaceutical psychotropic medication indicate significant improvements for the truly clinically depressed and anxious. It is interesting to note however, that the more moderate cases of individuals who experience depression and anxiety (and this accounts for the vast majority of us) are not significantly impacted by most medications and in fact compare in a rather intriguing way to the benefits of placebo. The wild claims that were made my companies which produced drugs such as Effexor and Zoloft have led to enormous class action suits which have cost the pharmaceutical millions of dollars in terms of compensation. Sadly, the studies conducted by these companies were not released and shared as freely when the results were not favourable and this has meant that professional world-wide have been mislead. I am NOT opposed to medication. I am just weary that there is not a panacea with reference to the medical world. I think those of us who are depressed and anxious have come by these moods in VERY real ways in our upbringing, our traumas, our environmental challenges and our nutrition. Of course biology and genetics contribute but I think we need to put the spotlight on the social dimensions and causes of depression and anxiety and this allows us to feel hopeful that there is a lot we can do to change our brains. We have to understand the mechanisms of Depression and Anxiety and understand how we may have developed ways to generate these moods (unintentionally) in our minds. I am studying this as we speak so I will share more as I become more knowledgable and more confident.

Shel, I whole-heartedly agree with your statement, and I look forward to reading more about your studies. As for an anecdote..... I have experimented this past week with smiling. yes, I have smiled more this past week, whether i felt like it or not, sometimes it was genuine, more of the time it was "fake" or "forced" but, by cracky, it improved my overall mood. i'll take what i can get.... and this comes with no deleterious side effects! :smiley:
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Another reason why I love Myra. One of my highlights in my life! And you bring smiles to others. Because you are you!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    medicine is working.
    I actually thought i loved life last week. and was truly happy from toe to fingers
  • 68myra
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    medicine is working.
    I actually thought i loved life last week. and was truly happy from toe to fingers

wow, that's awesome! I'm so very happy for you! :smiley: (that's a genuine smile)
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    thought I'd come post here because I've been in a major depressive downswing for the last month or so. just everything sucks. and the irritability is making me a huge *kitten*. it's totally *kitten* with my relationship. which makes the whole thing that much worse. it's a vicious cycle and I *kitten* hate it.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Cardio works to keep my mind from focusing on the negative. I've fallen off my routine for a couple of weeks and I can feel the difference. I'm berating myself across the board. "I need to do better." Instead of "I am dong great!" Months away from a year on MFP and I am points away from being in the "healthy weight..." Exercising most every day. But it's almost spring and my disease starts to flare, like clock work...increased pain, lost sleep, poor mood. Ugh. A walk with my son this afternoon will get me going again. I'm going to keep fighting the good fight even though my brain keeps telling me I am a fack up. Stupid primordial troll brain. I will beat you down again. It is exhausting...like disciplining a toddler.
  • 68myra
    Options
    thought I'd come post here because I've been in a major depressive downswing for the last month or so. just everything sucks. and the irritability is making me a huge *kitten*. it's totally *kitten* with my relationship. which makes the whole thing that much worse. it's a vicious cycle and I *kitten* hate it.

safe hugs to you, Obsidian. I do feel your pain. know you are not alone.
  • 68myra
    Options
    Cardio works to keep my mind from focusing on the negative. I've fallen off my routine for a couple of weeks and I can feel the difference. I'm berating myself across the board. "I need to do better." Instead of "I am dong great!" Months away from a year on MFP and I am points away from being in the "healthy weight..." Exercising most every day. But it's almost spring and my disease starts to flare, like clock work...increased pain, lost sleep, poor mood. Ugh. A walk with my son this afternoon will get me going again. I'm going to keep fighting the good fight even though my brain keeps telling me I am a fack up. Stupid primordial troll brain. I will beat you down again. It is exhausting...like disciplining a toddler.

You are not alone either! I sincerely hope you enjoy the walk this afternoon, and that it jump starts you back into your healthy routine.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i just want to burn some of the fat i obtained from taking celexa. Any tips?
  • 68myra
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    i just want to burn some of the fat i obtained from taking celexa. Any tips?
    my adult daughter put on 50lbs while taking abilify. She took it off using mindfulness training (she just taught me about "urge surfing") and eating an overall lower carb diet (she avoided grains and sugar)

best of luck to you :)
  • 68myra
    Options
    I typically struggle more with depression than weight, but weeks of binge eating has now caught up with me. I guess i was having an "eat myself silly" pity party because i can't exercise the way i want to. guess what.... it hasn't made me feel any better, just made me outgrow my pants! all joking aside, i need to have a serious talk with myself about what it is I really want, and what i'm willing to do for it. REALLY. oh, and stop watching politics on TV, because all it does is frustrate the heck out of me. who needs that?
  • yourhiddengem
    Options
    How's everyone doing lately?