Low carb diet not working

Options
2»

Replies

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Carbs are our primary fuel source, though. They are pretty important.

oh sheesh. So what are low carbers running on? Magic and borrowed time? In a ketogenic diet they are not the primary fuel source, as already stated.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    what I know about my fat and protein sources is that if I'm off weighing them or try to estimate that can mean a huge calorie difference which could easily ruin a deficit. Nuts, nut butters, seeds, meats, etc are all very hard to eye ball and can be hundreds of cals extra if not weighed.

Very good point.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok with all the craziness and back and forth I just want to share with you my experience. Not because I want to beat you up but just because I have found so much freedom in my journey now. Ok so 3 years ago I did a low carb diet (17 day diet). No breads pasta mostly fruit veggie and lean meats. And a bunch of other rules that I had to follow to loose the weight. I lost all my weight about 50 lbs but by the end of it I realized I was miserable I couldn't eat the things normal people ate and I couldnt do anything else but excersise. I was literally either recovering from a hard core workout or working out. It was crazy and I was really not happy. So I told myself I don't care anymore I will just be fat and happy and of coarse I slowly gained it all back. For a while I didn't even feel bad about it I thought well at least I have a life now. But it eventually got to a point where I couldnt live like that either so I thought to myself ok I'll get back on the diet for a few months loose it again and then probably gain it all back and this will just be my life. (Crazy I know). The first two weeks I did great and my brother in law introduced me to mfp to follow friends that were "dieting" or so I thought. As I started reading in the community I heard a bunch of haters against low carb dieters I was offended but still kept reading. As I started reading the success stories I actually saw stories of people who had lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off. I was amazed! So I was interested in what they were saying. They said it's all about calories in verses calories out. What?! I have never even heard that before. What do you mean you can have ice cream and still loose weight? Impossible! But how do you argue with someone who lost 80+ lbs and has kept it off for 3-5 years? So I slowly tried it. I just looked at calories and I am happy to say it's true I have literally ate a bowl of icecream and woke up the next day loosing weight. Why because I didn't go over my calories. I have lost 45 lbs this way. I eat bread,candy, beer, wine, pizza, pasta whatever I decide as long as it's not over my allotted calories. I can live like this. I still go out with friends to restraunts and bbqs (just last night in fact) make sure I'm in my calories and still loose weight. I could not live on my low carb diet. Maybe some can but I actually haven't met anyone personally who eats that way 24/7/365.
    Can you loose weight in low carb yes for sure but I wasn't loosing before because of the lack of carbs it's because food was so boring I didn't care to over eat anything. So naturally I was low in calories and loosing. Plus the crazy exercising giving me a larger deficit.
    If your not loosing it's because you are having too many calories not because of bread or fat or whatever. Hope this helps!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    hazleyes81 wrote: »

oh sheesh. So what are low carbers running on? Magic and borrowed time? In a ketogenic diet they are not the primary fuel source, as already stated.

Yay, I've always wanted to run on magic!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Ok with all the craziness and back and forth I just want to share with you my experience. Not because I want to beat you up but just because I have found so much freedom in my journey now. Ok so 3 years ago I did a low carb diet (17 day diet). No breads pasta mostly fruit veggie and lean meats. And a bunch of other rules that I had to follow to loose the weight. I lost all my weight about 50 lbs but by the end of it I realized I was miserable I couldn't eat the things normal people ate and I couldnt do anything else but excersise. I was literally either recovering from a hard core workout or working out. It was crazy and I was really not happy. So I told myself I don't care anymore I will just be fat and happy and of coarse I slowly gained it all back. For a while I didn't even feel bad about it I thought well at least I have a life now. But it eventually got to a point where I couldnt live like that either so I thought to myself ok I'll get back on the diet for a few months loose it again and then probably gain it all back and this will just be my life. (Crazy I know). The first two weeks I did great and my brother in law introduced me to mfp to follow friends that were "dieting" or so I thought. As I started reading in the community I heard a bunch of haters against low carb dieters I was offended but still kept reading. As I started reading the success stories I actually saw stories of people who had lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off. I was amazed! So I was interested in what they were saying. They said it's all about calories in verses calories out. What?! I have never even heard that before. What do you mean you can have ice cream and still loose weight? Impossible! But how do you argue with someone who lost 80+ lbs and has kept it off for 3-5 years? So I slowly tried it. I just looked at calories and I am happy to say it's true I have literally ate a bowl of icecream and woke up the next day loosing weight. Why because I didn't go over my calories. I have lost 45 lbs this way. I eat bread,candy, beer, wine, pizza, pasta whatever I decide as long as it's not over my allotted calories. I can live like this. I still go out with friends to restraunts and bbqs (just last night in fact) make sure I'm in my calories and still loose weight. I could not live on my low carb diet. Maybe some can but I actually haven't met anyone personally who eats that way 24/7/365.
    Can you loose weight in low carb yes for sure but I wasn't loosing before because of the lack of carbs it's because food was so boring I didn't care to over eat anything. So naturally I was low in calories and loosing. Plus the crazy exercising giving me a larger deficit.
    If your not loosing it's because you are having too many calories not because of bread or fat or whatever. Hope this helps!

I like you. :smile:
  • Jeebles604
    Jeebles604 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    LCHF has really helped shift my weight the past couple of weeks. Calorie counting works but for some reason, I was stalled on 1200 calories for awhile. Thought I'd try the same cals but high fat, low carb and wow, I've started losing again, and I'm noticeably leaner. I'm sure it's my body releasing water, etc, but I'll take it as I'm feeling really good. I also do bootcamp 3 times a week and it hasn't affected my workouts.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    hazleyes81 wrote: »

Don't lose your cool, I do know how keto works. :)
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    a normal well balanced calorie appropriate diet might work better. carbs are needed in our diet

Untrue. Carbs can be delicious and many nutritious foods have carbs, but you do not need them, if you choose not to have them or reduce them.
    Your body can use ketone bodies for fuel and any glucose needed for cells that require can be made by your body via gluconeogenesis.

I have been low carb (usually under 30g a day) for over 3 years. Still not dead. Still have great blood glucose and lipid levels.

Me too! I am going on my 4th year in Keto. Still kicking and building muscle.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    a normal well balanced calorie appropriate diet might work better. carbs are needed in our diet

Untrue. Carbs can be delicious and many nutritious foods have carbs, but you do not need them, if you choose not to have them or reduce them.
    Your body can use ketone bodies for fuel and any glucose needed for cells that require can be made by your body via gluconeogenesis.

I have been low carb (usually under 30g a day) for over 3 years. Still not dead. Still have great blood glucose and lipid levels.

Me too! I am going on my 4th year in Keto. Still kicking and building muscle.

Awesome. That picture is great proof of it. :)