What to do when someone calls you fat?

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If it was not your weight, it would be your hair, your skin colour, your face, your clothes. This was not a comment about your weight, it was bullying. A bully will find something to try and be hurtful about. Block this person and move on with your life.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I knew someone who liked to "start debates" on FB. What she was actually doing was trolling people, because she got a kick out of it and would then complain that people insulted her...
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    She already lost the debate argument when she stopped so low lmao
    These people are so stupid no ones immune from anything fat homelessness disability poor lonely illness they just tend to think they are
    Please don't waste your energy on her or any narrow minded human
    I once got called fat by an elderly lady who was much bigger than me as I had a pushchair & couldnt move along the pavement to me fat is an easy word to use because society is so hung up on it

Hugs
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    you lost me on "political arguments on Facebook..." Go outside, do great things. The trees aren't going to call you fat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I like to have political arguments on Facebook ...

How can I not let this stuff bother me? It really does hurt.

That's just the way it is. Political arguments are controversial. People will insult those with whom they disagree in whatever way they possibly can.

If you're going to engage in political arguments on Facebook ... you've got to have a very thick skin. If you can't handle what will be thrown about in a political argument on Facebook or any other form of social media ... start posting pictures of cute cats instead.

Or better yet ... go for a long walk or bicycle ride or plant roses in the garden ...

• maggiemooo182
    maggiemooo182 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You just have to realize that this person saying this is their own insecurity. Even if their weight is fine, their insecure about SOMETHING. Some people just can't be mature and deal with their insecurities on their own! You're not the one with a problem, she is ☺️
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    you lost me on "political arguments on Facebook..." Go outside, do great things. The trees aren't going to call you fat.

Yep, my motto.
  • OldManOne
    OldManOne Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would join MFP - Start eating right, exercising and work hard until I hit my goals. Then I would forget about that person.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

So - every time you deliberately stand on a tack, it hurts - am I right?
    - do you see where I'm going with this?

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »

So - every time you deliberately stand on a tack, it hurts - am I right?
    - do you see where I'm going with this?

wear shoes?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    People try to insult people to get a reaction. Why? Because it may be the only thing in their life they have control of.
    Also if it hurts you, it's usually because you believe it to be true and wished you weren't in that position.
    There are lots of people I deal with who think I'm a jerk, but then again I know I can be because sometimes that's the only way I can get people to hear or do what I need them to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My response would have been. Oh my, I am?? I had no idea. Thank you so much for pointing it out.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I remember reading once, ages ago, that treating "fat" as a neutral descriptor can help. Like, I'm a brunette, I'm in my 20's, and I'm fat. These are not statements of worth, but statements of fact. It's hard to do, when the word is loaded and treated as a synonym for any number of unkind sentiments, but it ought not to be. It's a size descriptor, and even then, it's not a very good one. "Fat" is different to a wide range of people, and doesn't denote size at all.

Remove the connotation that fat = bad in yourself, and let the rest of the *kitten* work it out on their own. She's using it as an insult, yes, but *kitten* her. Fat is far from the worst thing a person can be. I'd rather be fat than unkind, thoughtless, or any number of qualities that reflect an ugly inner life.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You should let it go. Really you should, because ultimately it's a waste of energy.

That said it never hurts to have a stock of insults handy for when you need one unexpectedly so...

"Your doctor called with your colonoscopy results. Good news – they found your head."
    "Save your breath – you’ll need it to blow up your date."
    "Hey, your village called – they want their idiot back."
    "I love what you’ve done with your hair. How do you get it to come out of the nostrils like that?"

My personal favourites would get me banned from here but you can use your imagination. Yeah, it's petty and damn it can be fun...
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    tell them you can lose weight but unfortunately your stuck with that face.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

No, they just throw stuff at you:
    oz-tree.jpg
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    whenever I get someone who makes any mention of my weight I tend to go

"thanks, I never knew I was fat! you have opened my eyes!"
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You ARE fat, though? Right? She was stating a fact when she said you look fat.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    "Thanks for stating the obvious."
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    As much as it does hurt, being called that by someone who doesn't know your or your life, responding to the taunt is usually just going to continue it. While they may not get their jolly by insulting people and getting a rise (some do), not rising to the bait is far better when debating. I'd go with the response of telling them you're not interested in bringing up looks when that isn't the topic at hand, then refocus onto whatever point you have.
    This is also the interwebs, and there is no winning with some people, they don't want a debate they want their way. It's pathetic that they had to drop the facts of the issue and resort to childish name calling (regardless of being apt or not) and I hope that you don't let what they said affect you too much. :smile: