Do you eat the calories you are burning from exercise?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    hko718 wrote: »
    Not reinventing anything. TDEE is just superior compared to eating back calories, on all levels.

That's like saying 2+2 is better than 3+1.
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Not reinventing anything. TDEE is just superior compared to eating back calories, on all levels.

TDEE would be 2+2. Eating back cals is poverty,

I just don't believe in bringing cardio into dieting unless you're stalling. Losing weight w/o cardio is the GOAT. It's 2016
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I just don't believe in bringing cardio into dieting unless you're stalling. Losing weight w/o cardio is the GOAT. It's 2016

Do you know how long it would have taken me to recomp from 240lbs to 170? Ain't no one got time for that, bruh.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    MFP is what I do and I've been pretty damn successful. Then again, I'm a 44 year old female, not a buff, young male gym rat. Not that there's anything at all wrong with buff, young male gym rats, but there are a variety of people on these forums of all ages, sizes and all have different goals. If you want to poach your peeps, it sounds like a body building forum would probably be more your speed. (After you poach them, I recommend Sriracha sauce. Yum, and adds just the right amount of kick.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Personally, I don't do cardio to lose weight. I do cardio because I LIKE cardio and have cardio-related goals.

Since I would be undereating and not fueling my activity if I did not eat back exercise, I also eat back exercise.

Oh, and I do that using the TDEE method (which should get you to the same weekly number as MFP if used correctly).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Losing weight without using cardio machines is my goal. Normally I hike in the woods at lunch time but it's been raining so I'm off to get my ice skates sharpened so I can skate the next time I'm rained out. I'm looking forward to gardening and swimming season too.
  • mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    mrspaws91 wrote: »
    No. I do not lose weight when I eat them back, despite having properly set up my account.

You may be overestimating your burns in that case. MFP's calorie allowance is based on your activity level before exercise. If you stop losing weight when eating back your exercise calories, that means you are eating both the exercise calories and the calorie deficit MFP has calculated for you. Try eating back half your exercise calories, especially if you're using MFP to calculate how much you burn with exercise.

I let MFP set my calorie goal and it calculates my exercise burn. I log everything I eat, weighing or measuring portions and creating recipes for meals I make instead of relying on something close that's already in the database. I am short and over 50 that's just the way it is.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Yes. I mostly lift, walk and play Ultimate. Back in the late summer and fall my activity level was all over the place, so MFP's method worked great and I lost weight as scheduled. I did cut down the calories burned from playing sports as they were ridiculously high as if they assumed I ran full out 100% of the time which isn't the case.

Over the winter my activity level evened out and the weight lifting estimate was probably a tiny bit on the generous side. I decided I'd rather just have the same goal every day so I switched to TDEE.

Once Ultimate picks up in the spring I'm not sure what I will do, so we'll see when I get there.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No. I do not lose weight when I eat them back, despite having properly set up my account.

You may be overestimating your burns in that case. MFP's calorie allowance is based on your activity level before exercise. If you stop losing weight when eating back your exercise calories, that means you are eating both the exercise calories and the calorie deficit MFP has calculated for you. Try eating back half your exercise calories, especially if you're using MFP to calculate how much you burn with exercise.

I let MFP set my calorie goal and it calculates my exercise burn. I log everything I eat, weighing or measuring portions and creating recipes for meals I make instead of relying on something close that's already in the database. I am short and over 50 that's just the way it is.

MFP calorie burns are sometimes overstated.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

No, that's not the way it is. I'm sorry, but that's not how it works. If you're using the MFP calorie burns, they are too high. It's a known issue (that you would have found for yourself after being around the forums a little longer) and the workaround is to either measure your burns using an activity tracker or to eat back only a percentage of the calculated burn.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you're eating back the MFP calorie estimates, that's probably the issue (not the general practice of eating back exercise burns itself). The database has a lot of inflated calorie burn estimates.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

MFP's calorie calculations can be way off, so I would check a few different sites and see what they tell you. Shapesense seems to be pretty accurate and is what I use. If I used MFP's database for my calorie burns and then ate them all back, I'd be gaining weight. I actually have my own personal entries that I use, and are slight under-estimations, so that if I do eat all my calories back, I know I'm not eating too much back and am still in a deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No I try not to I feel like I work hard to workout I do not want to defeat the purpose by eating back my hard work.
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I definitely do, at least half of them. I'm short, so my calorie goals are quite low as it is, so eating at least half of them is a must otherwise I'd go crazy. ;)
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I bank calories, too. Of course, sometimes, like tonight, things happen, like, you know, opening my oven and finding a rat,
    It must be the night for it. My cat,that never hunts, just brought in a rodent. I had to chase out of the house at 3am!!

Cheers, h.

Today, I just have to deal with gigantic palmetto bugs creeping around at night. (Just a fancy name for huge cockroach that flies.)

Whole lotta NOPE!!

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Anabug81 wrote: »
    No I try not to I feel like I work hard to workout I do not want to defeat the purpose by eating back my hard work.

You didn't read the thread, did you.....
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm not consistant with xersize and I don't have a scale. So I put into the mfp goals the option to maintain at a weight that is in the middle of the healthy bmi for my height. So I am set to eat maintenance calories for that healthy weight which is set with doing the light excersize option. Eventually I will reach that weight if things are acurate. I am losing inches and its fat, I can tell. I eat less some days, the days I don't go for walks or do my excersize routines. Other days I eat at the top of my calories, which I set at the calories expected to maintain at my goal weight.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    House minus Rats = Cats
  • giorgioc722
    giorgioc722 Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nope. I made my life simple and it seems to work. I eat a base of no more then 2400 cals a day, and if I'm under yay. Days I do any kind of activity longer then an hour; hiking, skating, running, whatever. I allow myself up to 2600, but no more.

Sometimes things change (Like I did an 8 hour hike and the next day I'm SUPER hungry) and I will adjust so I don't have an emotional break down haha.