Do you eat the calories you are burning from exercise?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    No, cause I want to lose weight fast.

There's one big trade-off with fast weight loss.........

Do you want fat loss....or just a number on the scale? Moderate paced weight loss supports existing lean muscle mass. This is WHY MFP gives you back exercise calories. Google skinny-fat, only the scale looks good.
    I just go for the number on the scale. Working to build muscle back later.

You're probably young, but I gotta say for others' consideration: For us middle-aged & older women, this can be a quicker ticket to assisted living. Don't wanna go there.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    edited March 2016
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    No, cause I want to lose weight fast.

There's one big trade-off with fast weight loss.........

Do you want fat loss....or just a number on the scale? Moderate paced weight loss supports existing lean muscle mass. This is WHY MFP gives you back exercise calories. Google skinny-fat, only the scale looks good.
    I just go for the number on the scale. Working to build muscle back later.

You're probably young, but I gotta say for others' consideration: For us middle-aged & older women, this can be a quicker ticket to assisted living. Don't wanna go there.

I wish, no, 46, middle aged and in great health. But thanks for the concerns and great advices.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    edited March 2016
    :)
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    I eat back some of my calories if I feel like I need to. I don't usually feel like I need to.

I use cardio as a tool for heart health, not for weight loss.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    The only reason I do cardio is so I can eat more food while in a deficit. I can almost double my daily calorie allowance on the days when I do my longest runs.
  • mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    No. I do not lose weight when I eat them back, despite having properly set up my account.
  • tincanonastring
    mrspaws91 wrote: »
    No. I do not lose weight when I eat them back, despite having properly set up my account.

You may be overestimating your burns in that case. MFP's calorie allowance is based on your activity level before exercise. If you stop losing weight when eating back your exercise calories, that means you are eating both the exercise calories and the calorie deficit MFP has calculated for you. Try eating back half your exercise calories, especially if you're using MFP to calculate how much you burn with exercise.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I bank calories, too. Of course, sometimes, like tonight, things happen, like, you know, opening my oven and finding a rat,
    It must be the night for it. My cat,that never hunts, just brought in a rodent. I had to chase out of the house at 3am!!

Cheers, h.

I had to comment because I both would find rats in places, like, oh, dead in my toilet (imagine getting up at 3:00 a.m. to pee and finding that waiting for you. Yeah.) or living in my kid's dresser drawer, where it would store food that it stole off of my counter that day. And I had a cat that not only hunted, it would bring me the dead thing's skin, splayed out like a barbie doll house carpet, right on my counter top. My cat could have been a surgeon, it was so precise. I'm not kidding. I do NOT miss living in an old country farm house on a riverbank. At all. LOL Today, I just have to deal with gigantic palmetto bugs creeping around at night. (Just a fancy name for huge cockroach that flies.)

Back on topic, though, I only eat my exercise calories back if I do more than 3 miles. Pretty much my only form of exercise at the moment is on my treadmill, and I can either do a couple leisurely miles or some intense uphill, fast walking. Depending on what I do dictates whether I eat them back or not. I've done 3 moderate miles so far today. I probably will not eat them back.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    hko718 wrote: »
    MFP isn't where I would gather my deficit from in the first place.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be helpful or not. Please explain in your own words why you insist that MFP is not the right way for people to lose weight. And if you think it's wrong, perhaps this isn't the place for comments that might derail other people's progress. Overall, some are losing when eating back all their exercise calories, some eat back a percentage and lose, some don't eat back any and lose. Whatever works for each person.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Darned tootin' I do. No way I could not be hungry on my maintenance if I suddenly broke both my legs and couldn't walk anymore for exercise (which would probably be about 1200 or 1300 calories).
  • hko718
    hko718 Posts: 85 Member
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

I'm not sure if you are trying to be helpful or not. Please explain in your own words why you insist that MFP is not the right way for people to lose weight. And if you think it's wrong, perhaps this isn't the place for comments that might derail other people's progress. Overall, some are losing when eating back all their exercise calories, some eat back a percentage and lose, some don't eat back any and lose. Whatever works for each person.

I would go to IIFYM website and use the TDEE/IIFYM calculator and go from those numbers.
  • tincanonastring

I'm pretty sure he's saying that the MFP calorie calculation does not include exercise calories. I've seen him advocating using the TDEE method, which is a model that factors in your exercise activity, so you don't eat your calories back (as they are already included in your calorie goal). It's just a different way to get to the same place.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member

I would go to IIFYM website and use the TDEE/IIFYM calculator and go from those numbers.

This always cracks me up because TDEE and eating exercise calories back are pretty much just different ways of doing the same thing.
  • hko718
    edited March 2016
    glassyo wrote: »

This always cracks me up because TDEE and eating exercise calories back are pretty much just different ways of doing the same thing.

Except most people who take lifting serious/contest preps use TDEE methods. MFP exercise calorie burns are always inflated as well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

You realize TDEE is just a different way to eat back exercise calories, right?
  • hko718
    It's garbage jane
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited March 2016
    glassyo wrote: »

Except most people who take lifting serious/contest preps use TDEE methods

Most people who are asking this type of question just need to use Myfitnesspal like it is designed. Not everyone here are serious lifters or contest prepping. There are special interest groups for that (both here and elsewhere.) Maybe learn about the Mifflin-St. Jeor calculations that this site uses. It is much more flexible for lifestyles that aren't rigidly trying to achieve some technical goal.

If all you have is a hammer...

I always ate all my exercise calories. It works, it's simple and flexible.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It's garbage jane

Why would NEAT plus exercise calories be garbage and TDEE *not* be garbage?

It's two different roads to the same spot. Some people prefer the first road, some the second. But they're going to the same place.
  • tincanonastring
    It's garbage jane

I can't tell if you're trolling. TDEE is eating back exercise calories. You just factor those calories into your daily allowance instead of adding them after the fact.
  • hko718
    Eating back cals is just over-complicating things. Find TDEE and subtract 500 to lose weight. Das it mane. Like I said most people are getting bad info back from eating calories back because MFP caloric expenditure numbers are WRONG