Someone is stealing my lunch at work.

Options

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Seriously...what the hell is up with someone that they steal a person's lunch? I can not imagine doing such a selfish thing and yet we hear this happens all the time!

Can you imagine catching the person?
  • swansong1001
    swansong1001 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As much as I would love to see the thief receive consequences, I would not find it within my nature to retaliate (although some of the stories are funny!).

I have never left my lunch in the work fridge because they are usually disgusting dirty.
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    they sell plastic sandwich bags that are decorated with "mold" so it looks like your sandwich has gone moldy... ultimate insurance.

j6fp0sant4sl.jpg

• overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've had someone steal my lunch in the past. We live in a hot humid climate so I made an extra one and left it out in the sun all day. After someone stole the "sun" sandwich, I never had another problem.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Don't do the laxative thing. You can be arrested for it, it has happened before.

I'd just go with super-spicy food, and a special treat, a twinkie with the filling replaced with mayo. Mmm mmmm!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    Don't do the laxative thing.

I agree, poisoning people, whether they deserve it or not, is a good way to lose your job or go to jail - a stolen sandwich isn't worth losing your livelihood.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    As much as I love the laxative idea it's dangerous. Do strange flavours instead because that protects you.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You really need help with this? Seems obvious how to handle it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    As much as I would love to see the thief receive consequences, I would not find it within my nature to retaliate (although some of the stories are funny!).

I have never left my lunch in the work fridge because they are usually disgusting dirty.

Yes, in my work kitchen the problem lies in coworkers thinking they are living at home where Mom washes the dishes they leave in the sink and cleans out the frig periodically.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a place where there were food thieves. I still have a habit of taking a single bite out of my sandwich when I make it before I wrap it up! Worked like a charm.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    I used to work in a place where there were food thieves. I still have a habit of taking a single bite out of my sandwich when I make it before I wrap it up! Worked like a charm.
    Yep, this trick works wonders
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    As much as I love the laxative idea it's dangerous. Do strange flavours instead because that protects you.

Ah, this sounds even more fun! For condiments in a savory sandwich: sugar icing, jam, marshmallow fluff. If you're industrious roll out marzipan really thin and replace the cheese. For PB&J mix into peanut butter: sweet pickle relish, yogurt, tuna, guacamole, etc. Everything can use a liberal dash of soy sauce. And of course, finish the entire thing by sprinkling salt all over your cutting board and press both sides of the sandwich into it. Delicious.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options

Ah, this sounds even more fun! For condiments in a savory sandwich: sugar icing, jam, marshmallow fluff. If you're industrious roll out marzipan really thin and replace the cheese. For PB&J mix into peanut butter: sweet pickle relish, yogurt, tuna, guacamole, etc. Everything can use a liberal dash of soy sauce. And of course, finish the entire thing by sprinkling salt all over your cutting board and press both sides of the sandwich into it. Delicious.

Yes! So much fun=) Lots of Cayenne pepper? Garlic/onion salt? Anchovies? Capers? Molasses? Baking extracts like Star Anise - peppermint - lemon. Cloves? Pickling Spice? Peppercorns? Tumeric? and yes...salt is so easy!
    So many things to mix right into that perfect sandwich!
  • csillers13
    csillers13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my sandwich go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."
  • bootqueenmfp
    bootqueenmfp Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Hide in the cafeteria then jump out like a ninja when the try to take your sandwich and throat punch them!!!!
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem, missing items. Problem solved... Nice insulated lunch bag (very pretty) and a couple of Blue-Ices. Set it under my desk sitting on a storage box, no ever sees it.
  • andrcollrvt
    andrcollrvt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cat food sandwich for sure.
    Maybe cat food with extra ghost peppers for added flavor?
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

Yes! So much fun=) Lots of Cayenne pepper? Garlic/onion salt? Anchovies? Capers? Molasses? Baking extracts like Star Anise - peppermint - lemon. Cloves? Pickling Spice? Peppercorns? Tumeric? and yes...salt is so easy!
    So many things to mix right into that perfect sandwich!

Great ideas! Imagine a tuna salad sandwich made with anchovies, molasses and peppermint extract! Plus a tablespoon of salt. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :D
  • FriskyMcQueen1
    FriskyMcQueen1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So today I went in the cafeteria.... I work on the 1st floor in a fairly large building and we have 2 refrigerators in there. But when I grabbed my lunch I noticed it felt light. The sandwich was missing.

Lately I've been packing my lunch in a small Macy's bag.... you know the ones they give you for luxury items like watches and perfumes.... yeah those. Cute little handles too.

So I looked in my bag and just the sandwich was missing. They left my juice and Sun Chips. I'm thinking whoever took it knew what they were doing.

What should I do?

I don't think I can walk into HR like a frickin' dork and be like.... "Uhhmm.. hi.... I think someone is stealing my sss-sandwich."

Nah. I gotta keep this in-house, bro.

Funny thing is I don't think the culprit realizes just WHO brought that lunch bag in. They really don't. :neutral:

AbigailC17 wrote: »
    Make a catfood sandwich and lay it as bait
    I have cats and the nastiest and the smelly one to get is the Fancy Feast Seafood: cod, salmon, or tuna. The stench will stick to you even with slight touch. Set it up as a bait and we'll see if that person do it again.

I would go with "sea captains choice" friskees patte, even our inferior human noses can smell that rank from a mile away
  • ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It seems reasonable to me to sabotage. Anything that will teach the person that karma's a *kitten*. You have job, make your own food. >:)