Can you guarantee me

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Btw if I just throw down a sub from Subway onto the scale would I be able to see how many calories are in it?

You can use Subway's nutrition calculator to give you as close to accurate as you will get. Fast food and restaurants can be off by quite a bit.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You're not weighing your food so therefore you're not tracking your calories properly and therefore you're not at a deficit.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If I eat a restaurant like Subway or somewhere else I will look up their calories in myfitnesspal food database and use it. You just have to look at it and be careful sometimes people create their own entries. You can a lot of time use the restraunt's website and get nutritional values. My diary is open so feel free to poke around and see what I eat. I measure just about everything I do.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Btw if I just throw down a sub from Subway onto the scale would I be able to see how many calories are in it?

Restaurant food is a little trickier. A chain like Subway probably has pretty standardized portions of bread, meat and cheese. It's the extras and condiments that will throw you off. So if you order a sandwich exactly as they have it prepared on the website, and don't add anything extra? Yes, you can weigh if and log the grams. If you add extras, they have a nutritional calculator on their website, I'd use that and overestimate the amount of sauces you add a bit.
  • HeySeuss
    HeySeuss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Consuming more protein and exercise should help. The most effective workouts that get your heart pumping causes you to burn more calories. In other words focus on exercises that tend to use more muscles simotaneously.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The Subway website actually has a sandwich builder that will give you the nutritional values of a sandwich as you like it. It won't be exact, but it should be quite close.
  • cdstewart51115
    cdstewart51115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No I dont track any of that stuff. I was under the impression that calories only matter.

Quality of food matters; as well as how what you eat effects your hormones and metabolism. Calories in=Calories Out method is outdated and scientifically inaccurate. Refined foods, chemical laden packaged foods, wheat, and sugar are the main weight loss killers. Just because it has a healthy label and made by a famous weight loss empire does not make it good food for your body.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    No I dont track any of that stuff. I was under the impression that calories only matter.

Quality of food matters; as well as how what you eat effects your hormones and metabolism. Calories in=Calories Out method is outdated and scientifically inaccurate. Refined foods, chemical laden packaged foods, wheat, and sugar are the main weight loss killers. Just because it has a healthy label and made by a famous weight loss empire does not make it good food for your body.

This is not true.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Source?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Completely and totally false. I eat all those things and have no problem whatsoever losing weight, as do many, many others. You couldn't be more wrong.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Please provide peer-reviewed citations to support this claim.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

None of this is true OP please don't listen to this quack

Subway helpfully provides calorie counts for their subs. Obviously it's not going to be completely accurate, but it's okay to use that number as long as you're accurate with everything else. McDonalds is the same. And yes, I eat McDonalds and I lose weight. I just don't eat it every day and factor it carefully into my calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

False. CI<CO is preciselywhat leads to weight loss. The nutritional profile of food does matter, for overall health, but there is nothing wrong with any of the things you listed which would preclude weight loss.

OP you had some great, eye opening advice. Since you are eager to learn I suggest you read those helpful forum posts in the getting started section that were linked up thread. Get that food scale, log everything you eat as accurately as you can, continue with the exercise and please update us in a couple of months with your progress.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Op, i didnt see this adressed yet...

You mentioned eating 1800, then walking an hour...then said your calorie intake would be more like 1400-1500 because of the calorie burn from walking.

Walking 1 mile will only burn around 100 cals. Thats approx 20minutes of average walking. So you could potentially burn 300 cals in an hour. Less if your slowly strolling along...up to 150 if your sprinting the entire mile. Common advice is to only eat back HALF of any exercise calories you may burn. So for an hour of walking, you really should only count 150 calories.

• Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Incorrect. I eat dessert almost every day, I love chips and fast food, eat bread, and am not above eating processed food. Somehow I managed to magically lose over 50 lbs.
    Take your woo elsewhere.
  • KatherinePM
    KatherinePM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I think a program would really help you as you sound like you need to understand some fundamentals of weight loss, health and nutrition. (no offence most people, including me have been here) After having my 2nd baby I went on Michelle Bridges 12wbt and lost 18kgs so I think that's over 30 lbs. it's really great, the program gives you meal plan, recipes and a weekly shopping list, support community, and videos on mindset, nutrition excersize and health (plus heaps more resources)!. I would recommend you go on the 1500 cal plan if you want to lose weight (they say don't eat back burned calories btw). It really taught me how to cook and eat more healthy, I already understood a bit about calories etc. The only problems are: it costs $200 AUD (but for me it was worth it), the food can take some getting used to as they promote really heathy whole foods not using too much salt/sugar etc (so if your used to eating a bit of junk - like I was your body goes into shock first - then starts to love you again!!) and sometimes your food bill can be a bit high (but if you counteract that off the fast food it shouldn't be too bad). In saying that there are people on there who have done the 12wbt many times in a row and have lost like 60kgs over 120lbs (omg that is impressive)! There are other plans out there (fitgirlsguide - if you have Instagram check them out they seem to be cheaper - plus guys do it too so don't be put off by the name) and the CSIRO diet (that is Aussie scientific group that does some great diets but the food is really pricey). Also prep prep prep! Which includes weighing as other people have said! I found it easier when I made all of my food the day before for the day and had it all set out. This really helps stay the course! Good luck!!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I think a program would really help you as you sound like you need to understand some fundamentals of weight loss, health and nutrition. (no offence most people, including me have been here) After having my 2nd baby I went on Michelle Bridges 12wbt and lost 18kgs so I think that's over 30 lbs. it's really great, the program gives you meal plan, recipes and a weekly shopping list, support community, and videos on mindset, nutrition excersize and health (plus heaps more resources)!. I would recommend you go on the 1500 cal plan if you want to lose weight (they say don't eat back burned calories btw). It really taught me how to cook and eat more healthy, I already understood a bit about calories etc. The only problems are: it costs $200 AUD (but for me it was worth it), the food can take some getting used to as they promote really heathy whole foods not using too much salt/sugar etc (so if your used to eating a bit of junk - like I was your body goes into shock first - then starts to love you again!!) and sometimes your food bill can be a bit high (but if you counteract that off the fast food it shouldn't be too bad). In saying that there are people on there who have done the 12wbt many times in a row and have lost like 60kgs over 120lbs (omg that is impressive)! There are other plans out there (fitgirlsguide - if you have Instagram check them out they seem to be cheaper - plus guys do it too so don't be put off by the name) and the CSIRO diet (that is Aussie scientific group that does some great diets but the food is really pricey). Also prep prep prep! Which includes weighing as other people have said! I found it easier when I made all of my food the day before for the day and had it all set out. This really helps stay the course! Good luck!!!

You're recommending a 1500 cal day diet and not eating exercise calories back to a young male? That would be a VLCD and would likely result in loss of lean muscle not to mention risking nutritional deficiencies.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Wow that video was a real eye opener. I really never thought about the little things. I do like ranch but now see that I use too much. Also syrup and butter. Just wow. I am going to buy a scale today. Thank you all. You especially casper. Thanks again and sorry for the grammar Haha.

yep eye opening, once you have the tools and use them, the weight loss will happen :smile:
  • KatherinePM
    KatherinePM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You're recommending a 1500 cal day diet and not eating exercise calories back to a young male? That would be a VLCD and would likely result in loss of lean muscle not to mention risking nutritional deficiencies.

Well actually the program that I was referring to calculates your recommended calories for you? I was just guesstimating the calorie intake. He says he goes walking an hour a day (that isn't much calories burnt actually) if he was doing two pump classes a day and weights or training for a marathon (they increase calories for these people) then obviously they have to eat more and the program considers these factors. Also I assumed a sedentary job/lifestyle as most office workers have these. A VLCD is techincally a gross 800 cals or less (with not eating back calories). But personally for women I would say less than 1000 calories and men less than 1200 calories. If you are crazy excersizing then the game changes and there may be an issue but that doesn't apply to this guy.

Regarding nutrient deficiencies I think he will find the program teaches him a lot about nutrients and provides a ramp up feature (if he needs more fuel he can simply eat a can of low fat tuna or an apple or two).

I think you should look into this a bit more...

Was simply trying to help.

Sorry OP for hijacking best of luck with whatever you choose to do!!