Help needed from all you veterans. To say I'm getting frustrated is an understatement! Pleeaassee

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    minamina27 wrote: »

This is my 3rd week on stronglifts ...

The seven pound gain in November was from me starting to lift weights again. It came off unnaturally quickly because I got sick and for a while stopped lifting and lost my appetite.

huz0ojkm44kz.png

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Try moderate for 2 weeks. If that is working stick with it.
    If you find your energy levels are getting low at the end of 2 weeks, up to active.
    I think it is going to be a bit of trial and error, but I think this may be the way to go.

Cheers, h.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I took a look at your food diary. On Sunday, your weights for this meal are suspiciously round:

7c07ab48f43e371ba94b03802ae47ca9.png

Also, you are using user-created entries for the cabbage, carrots, and green beans. I get the wording for system entries from https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods

On other days, you managed to have the exact same amount of chicken and potatoes three days in a row. That never happens to me.

Try tightening up your logging for a few weeks.

Hi. I knew someone would pick up on that. However I have less than that but round it up to the nearest entry that I have previously added. I always overestimate not under. For instance if my chicken is 235g or 245 g I will log it as 250g thanks.
    The obvious answers having been already given, I'll ask if you've had bloodwork done in the past year?

My first thought is you are eating too much. Even if your device says you should eat 3000 calories, that's crazy high. I know I would have to be working out several hours a day every day to be needing that kind of fuel. I'm guessing your workouts aren't several hours a day. Heart rate devices aren't meant to be used one-for-one as a calorie using and calorie eating tool.

Why not plug in your numbers to Myfitnesspal's goal setting tool and use those numbers for a while? One way or the other, you have to pick a method and a number and stick with them long enough to get a baseline data set.

No I haven't had any blood tests done. Although my fitbit says ~3000 I never ever eat that much, oh actually a party or two throughout the year. Mfp gives me 1250 a day and my fit bit is set to lose 1.5 lb a week so adjusts according to my deficit.

I can't add to the great advice you've already received. But just wanted to say that I round up too most of the time, if I've pre logged something as 50g, I usually stop adding when I hit 46-48g on the scale and just leave the entry at 50 instead of fiddling about for 2-3g.

You're making me twitch :D

:laugh: I like to walk on the wild side :tongue:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't have a whole lot to add that hasn't already been said, but I did want to say that when I started Stronglifts the scale did not move for six weeks. I don't know if I was constantly retaining water to repair my sore muscles or if I was sleep eating because lifting turns me in to a ravenous she-beast, but my weight stayed exactly the same for six weeks and then resumed my normal loss rate like nothing had happened. Weird.

Just to throw in another anecdote, I too had a jump at new year that stuck around for 6 weeks when I upped my overall training schedule, which included a lot more strength training. Then a whoosh and back to my usual stop and start losses (I have never been linear, my weight loss is a reflection of my life, ha!). So I think 3 weeks is a little too early to start panicking yet but the advice to pick a number, stick with it for a good amount of time and consistently is the best advice.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I even thought my Fitbit HR was a tad high. I told it I was two inches shorter than my actual height & am happy with the results. I have mine set to sedentary & take calories from steps; I don't add in free weight training or yoga save for the few steps they might generate.
    I agree both your logging could be buttoned down a little tighter and your burns should be moderated because they strike me as high. But congrats on how far you've come! Just stick with it!
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi. Scooby decided I can eat 2514 calories a day to maintain. This is for 3-5 hours a week moderate exercise. MFP has suggested 1770 for me as active to lose 1.5lbs a week which is in line with scooby 2514-750=1764. So I am now setting my calories for 1770 a day and totally ignoring any extra calories given by my fitbit. I will see what happens over the course of the month and tweak the numbers depending on the results.
    scolaris wrote: »
    I even thought my Fitbit HR was a tad high. I told it I was two inches shorter than my actual height & am happy with the results. I have mine set to sedentary & take calories from steps; I don't add in free weight training or yoga save for the few steps they might generate.
    I agree both your logging could be buttoned down a little tighter and your burns should be moderated because they strike me as high. But congrats on how far you've come! Just stick with it!
    I read a previous comment of yours which prompted me to change my settings from non dominant hand to dominant for my fitbit. I may deduct a couple of inches too and compare.
    Yeah for the MFP community. I feel much better and more informed and glad I asked the question
    Thanks again everyone.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Another to say your Fitbit might be overestimating.

I use an UP3 and it gives me an INSANE amount of calories for walking and running. I have a theory the closer you are to a healthy weight the more accurate it is, but I think for us obese gals it does some multiplication that makes it incorrect.

Yesterday, for instance, it gave me 1,744 calories for my active burn (and 1,437 for resting). It thinks I went 7.85 miles. I walked for 3.25 miles at lunch, take a 1 mile round trip in and out of work every day, walked another 1 mile after work, and ran for 1.5 miles after work. So that's 6.75 in addition to any small amount of steps I might have taken going here or there, so it is already overestimating on distance. But even if we pretend I walked all of that, 1.5 miles ran and 6.35 miles walked... the standard calculation is .63 x (weight in lbs) x miles for calories burned running and .33 x (weight in lbs) x miles for calories burned walking. So that should be no more than 571 extra calories. And yet it gave me more than 3x that! Or even if you assume 100-120 cals per mile, that is still 800 more than the high end of that calculation.

I also think MFP's standard calories for walking/running overestimate. This has been my personal experience, I use a spreadsheet to average all my food eaten and exercise calories burned and estimate my weight loss and compare that to my actual weight loss. It has started to get a lot more accurate once I started using the above calculation instead of MFP numbers or even my HRM numbers.

For every anecdotal evidence leaning one way, there is another leaning the opposite way.

According to MFP and Google Fit, for the three weeks ending March 12, I should have gained 3.5lbs. This is based on Google's GPS/wifi distance logging and my phone's step calculations. I judge my phone's calculations to be fairly accurate. On some few occasions I have the phone on a charger as opposed to on me. Usually i am in the house when that happens and working on my workstation.

According to MFP and Fitbit, for the three weeks ending March 12, I should have lost 1.47lbs. This is based on the "overly generous" step count of the Fitbit Charge HR that occasionally gives me steps for typing.

According to my trending weight app I lost 1.5lbs during the time period.

In fact, since day 1, I've found Google Fit to be criminally insane in underestimating burns.

All you can do is verify and cross-check your burns and see if they make sense for you and if they appear to match the reality of your trending weight app...

The "gold" standard you may want to use are the MET tables in the compendium of physical activities. The speed of your walk or run has a heck of a lot to do with how many calories your activity burns.

Someone posted this link today on another thread and I just wanted to throw it out there as relevant to this discussion....

http://www.wthr.com/story/31285468/sometimes-your-fitness-tracker-lies-a-lot-fitbit-jawbone-garmin-ifit-misfit-accuracy

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hi. Scooby decided I can eat 2514 calories a day to maintain. This is for 3-5 hours a week moderate exercise. MFP has suggested 1770 for me as active to lose 1.5lbs a week which is in line with scooby 2514-750=1764. So I am now setting my calories for 1770 a day and totally ignoring any extra calories given by my fitbit. I will see what happens over the course of the month and tweak the numbers depending on the results.
    scolaris wrote: »
    I read a previous comment of yours which prompted me to change my settings from non dominant hand to dominant for my fitbit. I may deduct a couple of inches too and compare.
    Yeah for the MFP community. I feel much better and more informed and glad I asked the question
    Thanks again everyone.

I deducted a couple inches from my height and stride length, can't say I have noticed any difference in the calories out numbers.