Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

Options

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Butter! I'm actually making my own for the first time tonight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pic, I'll check Kerrygold out again.

Documentaries are always skewed and rarely a good source of reliable information. Butter is chock full of chemicals, ya know. ;)
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Butter is made from cow. What is margarine made of?????? I don't know and I don't care, you won't catch me eating it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Kerry gold is in fact made from grass fed cows and it says so right on it, above the cow logo. I took a picture. I use kerry gold, I just bough some organic butter on sale at whole foods, light land o lakes sticks and light land of lakes with canola oil (for a soft spreadable butter) BTW, they have kerry gold at Costco, a pack of 3/8 oz sticks for $7.59, way cheaper than the market, and they had it on sale a couple months ago for $2.30 off/package, I bought 5 of them and froze them. Whipped butter is another good option for something more spreadable.

I see a bunch of you quoted me and seem to have different ideas on margarine. That's Ok, so you eat it and I won't. Maybe there are healthier ones out there now but I watched a whole documentary video once on how the margarine actually sticks to and lines the inside of your arteries. I never touched it again. Someone seemed to think I meant eat all you want because your body can't process it and it doesn't count? No. The closer to a natural state the foods are, the less chemicals, the better your body knows how to break it down and use it. Butter is just churned milk/cream. It doesn't mess with your endocrine system. That's all I meant by that.

Obviously no matter what kind of a fat you use, butter, margarine, olive oil, it's still a fat and meant to be used in moderation, not slathered on anything.

For the person with the comment about olive oil and how a lot of it is corrupt. They have a list of the ones that are safe. Kirkland organic from costco was on the list. I have that in the house anyway but I was glad to see it on there and will stick with it.

ntyjvb7by2qj.jpg

Saying your body doesn't know how to break something down and use it is the same things as saying the calories don't count.

If my body can't break down margarine, how can I access the calories in it? If I can't use the energy in the food, then it is going to just pass through my system.

What you are arguing makes no sense. How can my body store or use energy from a food if it can't process that food?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Butter is made from cow. What is margarine made of?????? I don't know and I don't care, you won't catch me eating it.

One of the margarines in my fridge is made from cream (cow), flax and olives. It's delicious.

I often make my own margarine by simply mixing butter and olive oil together and storing in the fridge. Spreads much easily and I can add things like herbs and garlic if I want (which I often do).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Butter is butter, but margarine is not margarine so you can't group them all together.

After I typed this yesterday I realized that it's not totally true. But is, of course, butter, but there is a pretty big difference in the type of fats in butter from grass fed cows and most commercial butter. I don't know about taste as I've not been able to find grass fed anywhere in my area.

Not sure where you are based but in the UK Kerrigold butter comes from grass-fed cows.

I'm in the US. Is all Kerrygold from grass fed cows? I have seen Kerrygold in the store but none of it is labeled grass fed.

I'm in Massachusetts and Kerry Gold is on sale this week for St. Patricks Day. I didn't notice any difference in taste vs my usual brand, Cabot, for which the cows may or may not have access to pasture depending on the time of year and individual farmer. https://www.cabotcheese.coop/faq
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Butter tastes better (yes, this is subjective). If you are vegan and want something butter-like, you might like one of the options like: http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/

Old margarines were unhealthy (transfats) but I think lots of them are fine now.

IMO, butter is still preferable although I use olive oil a lot more often anyway.

Butter for baking, of course.

Ya, real butter can trigger my Mom's IBS so she uses http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/

When I was reducing saturated fats, I ate that too. It wasn't as good, but was an acceptable substitute when necessary.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Kerry gold is in fact made from grass fed cows and it says so right on it, above the cow logo. I took a picture. I use kerry gold, I just bough some organic butter on sale at whole foods, light land o lakes sticks and light land of lakes with canola oil (for a soft spreadable butter) BTW, they have kerry gold at Costco, a pack of 3/8 oz sticks for $7.59, way cheaper than the market, and they had it on sale a couple months ago for $2.30 off/package, I bought 5 of them and froze them. Whipped butter is another good option for something more spreadable.

I see a bunch of you quoted me and seem to have different ideas on margarine. That's Ok, so you eat it and I won't. Maybe there are healthier ones out there now but I watched a whole documentary video once on how the margarine actually sticks to and lines the inside of your arteries. I never touched it again. Someone seemed to think I meant eat all you want because your body can't process it and it doesn't count? No. The closer to a natural state the foods are, the less chemicals, the better your body knows how to break it down and use it. Butter is just churned milk/cream. It doesn't mess with your endocrine system. That's all I meant by that.

Obviously no matter what kind of a fat you use, butter, margarine, olive oil, it's still a fat and meant to be used in moderation, not slathered on anything.

For the person with the comment about olive oil and how a lot of it is corrupt. They have a list of the ones that are safe. Kirkland organic from costco was on the list. I have that in the house anyway but I was glad to see it on there and will stick with it.

ntyjvb7by2qj.jpg

Saying your body doesn't know how to break something down and use it is the same things as saying the calories don't count.

If my body can't break down margarine, how can I access the calories in it? If I can't use the energy in the food, then it is going to just pass through my system.

What you are arguing makes no sense. How can my body store or use energy from a food if it can't process that food?

Would it make more sense if I said it breaks it down and uses it more efficiently? The more natural and less processed and changed a food is, the more efficiently your body uses it. It's the same thing with organic vs not. The chemicals disrupt your endocrine system because they are not supposed to be there. Obviously some people are more sensitive to this than others.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Butter is butter, but margarine is not margarine so you can't group them all together.

After I typed this yesterday I realized that it's not totally true. But is, of course, butter, but there is a pretty big difference in the type of fats in butter from grass fed cows and most commercial butter. I don't know about taste as I've not been able to find grass fed anywhere in my area.

Not sure where you are based but in the UK Kerrigold butter comes from grass-fed cows.

I'm in the US. Is all Kerrygold from grass fed cows? I have seen Kerrygold in the store but none of it is labeled grass fed.

I'm in Massachusetts and Kerry Gold is on sale this week for St. Patricks Day. I didn't notice any difference in taste vs my usual brand, Cabot, for which the cows may or may not have access to pasture depending on the time of year and individual farmer. https://www.cabotcheese.coop/faq

Hey, I'm in Massachusetts too!
    Having access to a pasture is not the same as grass fed. Grass fed are all pasture, moved between 3 stages of pastures I believe. Having access to a pasture, when they are not on a pasture, they eat grains.

Kind of like free range chickens, as long as they have access to the outside for what 15 minutes a day or something, they are allowed to call them free range. It's a joke. Marketing ploy.

It's funny how what we call grass fee and organic, was just food in our grandparents time. Now, with all the added pesticides and chemicals, natural food is labeled with these words.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

ntyjvb7by2qj.jpg

Would it make more sense if I said it breaks it down and uses it more efficiently? The more natural and less processed and changed a food is, the more efficiently your body uses it. It's the same thing with organic vs not. The chemicals disrupt your endocrine system because they are not supposed to be there. Obviously some people are more sensitive to this than others.

Hey, I'm in Massachusetts too!
    Having access to a pasture is not the same as grass fed. Grass fed are all pasture, moved between 3 stages of pastures I believe. Having access to a pasture, when they are not on a pasture, they eat grains.

Kind of like free range chickens, as long as they have access to the outside for what 15 minutes a day or something, they are allowed to call them free range. It's a joke. Marketing ploy.

It's funny how what we call grass fee and organic, was just food in our grandparents time. Now, with all the added pesticides and chemicals, natural food is labeled with these words.

Can you be more specific about what it means to use a food "more efficiently"? Given my understanding of those words, I would expect to access more of the energy in a food that I break down more efficiently -- it sounds like you're saying my body can access and retain more of the energy in the butter than it can from the margarine. If that isn't what you're saying, can you explain how you mean "break down" (what isn't being processed by my body in the margarine?) and "efficiently" (what does it mean to handle a food inefficiently if it doesn't relate to the energy?)?

I'm not familiar with the research you are referencing on the "inefficiency" of non-organic foods and how they serve as endocrine disrupters. Which studies provided that information?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    margarine is a chemical sh*tstorm... just sayin. Butter is natural and better for you in moderation
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have margarine. Tastes fine to me and spreads easier and is cheaper.
    The small amount I have ( a small tub lasts our household of 2 for about 2 months) does not present any health benifits or any health risks.

I agree, I don't use it enough to even think about it much. But if I'm cooking with it, I buy real butter.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    margarine is a chemical sh*tstorm... just sayin. Butter is natural and better for you in moderation

No chemicals in butter? Are you sure about that?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Cows don't have to access to pasture to be grass fed. Hay and forage counts as 'grass'.
  • melissa6771
    Options

Do you see any chemicals in either of these?

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

• janejellyroll
    Options

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

Is that a trick question? Everything on earth is made up of chemicals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

Yes. Well, I don't actually see anything but a picture, but yes, there are chemicals in there.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Butter, like everything else, is made of chemicals.
  • melissa6771
    Options

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

Yes. Well, I don't actually see anything but a picture, but yes, there are chemicals in there.

OMG... If there were chemicals, it would be listed in the ingredients! Like this picture...

Is it a trick question? Are you serious???

pt712pmc5pjl.jpg
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

The butter from my local dairy has cream and salt which I guess is technically a chemical, NaCl. Butter for me any day, but I use so little any more.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

The butter from my local dairy has cream and salt which I guess is technically a chemical, NaCl. Butter for me any day, but I use so little any more.

If cream is not comprised of chemicals, what then?