My take on refeeds

so many people have questions about refeeds and when to do them/ how to do them/ how much to eat/ macro breakdown...etc. here is my take and tips: if you are overweight, you may not need a refeed for some time. Don't make it an excuse to cheat. If weight stalls, it may by be a refeed you need, but to reduce calories or increase energy expenditure. Refeeds are optimal once you get in that low body fat range and leptin is low, as well as overall energy and performance levels. If you have hit that point and a refeed is necessary, here is my take: track your weight, perform your refeed going low fat, high carb, moderate (or lower) protein than usual. Increase cals to maintenance or slightly above. After the day of your refeed you maybe be heavier or lighter. go back to your deficit of calories for the week and if you weigh less than you did before your refeed 3-4 maybe 5 days later, then that is a good sign. If you're 1-2lbs lighter by the next week and feeling a lack of energy, take another refeed. If you are progressively losing weight after your refeed, then keep on performing the STRUCTURED refeeds. If your weight stays stagnant or increases, cut out the refeed and reduce the calories in your overall deficit. Sometimes we look at refeed as an excuse to cheat/ binge, or can potentially lead to a binge. So in conclusion, refeed when in low body fat, if weight doesn't drop after refeeds then it's time to burn or reduce calories, if you feel the need for a mental break from dieting, just fit it into your daily calories. Remember it's life, we need to live a little and enjoy ourselves, but don't go crazy ruining your deficit. If you have any other questions, you can ask me or leave a comment(:

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    If you have any other questions, you can ask me or leave a comment(:

What's your take on paragraphs?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    my coach has had me doing a refeed once a week since i started with him almost 6 months ago and it hasn't hindered any of my progress whatsoever.. and yes, i am/was OVERWEIGHT. a refeed isn't a cheat day at all - i think this is where people get confused. i get an additional 80g of carbs compared to regular training days which i am supposed to utilize for lower body training. plus my fat and protein go down a little for the day.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    my coach has had me doing a refeed once a week since i started with him almost 6 months ago and it hasn't hindered any of my progress whatsoever.. and yes, i am/was OVERWEIGHT. a refeed isn't a cheat day at all - i think this is where people get confused. i get an additional 80g of carbs compared to regular training days which i am supposed to utilize for lower body training. plus my fat and protein go down a little for the day.

Sounds like you are on some low carb thing. I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    DavPul wrote: »

Probably a little different if this was a forum on writing/ english/ literature...etc. good thing it's a fitness forum and not a test.... I don't remember hearing of a paragraph in a gym or in my food...
  • DavPul

Probably a little different if this was a forum on writing/ english/ literature...etc. good thing it's a fitness forum and not a test.... I don't remember hearing of a paragraph in a gym or in my food...

So readability is very low on your priority list when composing a post you want people to read.....unless you're specifically posting in writing/literature forums.

Got it and I Appreciate your honest answer. Carry on.
  • pinggolfer96

So readability is very low on your priority list when composing a post you want people to read.....unless you're specifically posting in writing/literature forums.

Readability is a priority.....on the other hand proper format and structure isn't my focus on a post where I am trying to help people. The fact some people have the disrespect to comment on someone's format on a fitness related post is kind of ridiculous. I'm sorry if I offended you for not having perfect format and structure. It's a forum post....if you have an negative statement on my topic or varying view, then go ahead and post it, but if you're going to ridicule my format....then just keep it to yourself instead of the arrogance/ rudeness?
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    My body fat is low and roughly around 8-9% at the minute so I like to have a refeed as and when I need one which is usually once every 1-2 weeks.

I only have one when I'm feeling carb depleted and I need the surplus energy to aid my training
  • pinggolfer96
    Kie_Hughes wrote: »
    My body fat is low and roughly around 8-9% at the minute so I like to have a refeed as and when I need one which is usually once every 1-2 weeks.

I only have one when I'm feeling carb depleted and I need the surplus energy to aid my training

Completely agree!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2016
    Oh mighty low body fat people, what is a "refeed"? I don't think you mean what I think it means.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member

Readability is a priority.....on the other hand proper format and structure isn't my focus on a post where I am trying to help people. The fact some people have the disrespect to comment on someone's format on a fitness related post is kind of ridiculous. I'm sorry if I offended you for not having perfect format and structure. It's a forum post....if you have an negative statement on my topic or varying view, then go ahead and post it, but if you're going to ridicule my format....then just keep it to yourself instead of the arrogance/ rudeness?

TL;DR
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    If weight stalls, it may by be a refeed you need

I'm trying to follow but I don't understand what this means. The refeed causes my weight to stall or I need one? This isn't clear.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Oh mighty low body fat people, what is a "refeed"? I don't think you mean what I think it means.

I always thought "refeed" was just a fancy term for cheat/eating at maintenance day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

I always thought "refeed" was just a fancy term for cheat/eating at maintenance day.

Whatever it is, only people with low body fat deserve one.

Or at least that's how far I got before I was crushed by the wall of text.
  • pinggolfer96
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Need*

I never said anything about deserve. I said it's not necessary if you're overweight as you still have body fat to lose.
  • DavPul
    edited March 2016

Need*

I never said anything about deserve. I said it's not necessary if you're overweight as you still have body fat to lose.

On that particular note, you said...

Refeeds are optimal once you get in that low body fat range and leptin is low,

Seems vague. How are you defining low body fat range? How do I measure if my leptin is low?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016

Need*

So people at higher weight and/or above single-digit BF% don't ever suffer from lowered leptin levels and/or metabolic downregulation due to prolonged caloric deficits?

And FWIW, I agree that the OP was difficult to read.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member

Well there's the fact that I didn't actually read your whole post initially because it may actually hurt me to hate so many issues at once. I may not be the only one.

Your post is nice and all, but if you want to be taken seriously you write properly and format your information in an appropriate way. You lashing out rather than accepting, "yep, I may be trying to present intelligent information but it looks like a very unintelligent person wrote it!" isn't a great quality either.

If you want to be taken seriously and intelligently, organize your information. Being all over the place made your post very confusing and I'd have to go back and take notes to be able to walk away with any use able information. It honestly made me sit and wonder "What makes this person qualified to be giving out any kind of information at all?"

Organization is a friend not a foe.
  • pinggolfer96
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Need*

So people at higher weight and/or above single-digit BF% don't ever suffer from lowered leptin levels and/or metabolic downregulation due to prolonged caloric deficits?

Most of the time lowered leptin is a result of low body fat. Metabolic adaptation may be present, but that is when calories need to be reduced, not a structured refeed. I never said single digit body fat btw, but if you have someone starting at 35% bodyfat, and are in a prolonged deficit and still at 25%, they still have energy stores to diminish before they need to/ should incorporate a refeed. I'm all for bringing calories up to maintencase to enjoy yourself or even further or maybe have a cheat meal, but I put my take on a proper structured refeed.
  • DavPul
    brb_2013 wrote: »

Well there's the fact that I didn't actually read your whole post initially because it may actually hurt me to hate so many issues at once. I may not be the only one.

Your post is nice and all, but if you want to be taken seriously you write properly and format your information in an appropriate way. You lashing out rather than accepting, "yep, I may be trying to present intelligent information but it looks like a very unintelligent person wrote it!" isn't a great quality either.

If you want to be taken seriously and intelligently, organize your information. Being all over the place made your post very confusing and I'd have to go back and take notes to be able to walk away with any use able information. It honestly made me sit and wonder "What makes this person qualified to be giving out any kind of information at all?"

Organization is a friend not a foe.

Y SO MUCH ARROGANT RUDENESS?
  • DavPul
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Need*

Most of the time lowered leptin is a result of low body fat. Metabolic adaptation may be present, but that is when calories need to be reduced, not a structured refeed. I never said single digit body fat btw, but if you have someone starting at 35% bodyfat, and are in a prolonged deficit and still at 25%, they still have energy stores to diminish before they need to/ should incorporate a refeed. I'm all for bringing calories up to maintencase to enjoy yourself or even further or maybe have a cheat meal, but I put my take on a proper structured refeed.

You never stated *any* body fat range or specific number. What is the magical number below whence a person will benefit from a refeed?

Also, what's the difference between a "proper structured refeed" and a "refeed"?