WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip, fingers crossed for Kirby, and toes and eyes and.....well you get the picture. :) Healing prayers going up.

Janetr okc
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry I haven't been keeping up. I've been doing research on knee replacement surgery. I'm getting really nervous about my upcoming appointment with my orthopedist on Monday. I've been on crutches for 8 months and I have to try to talk him into doing surgery on me. He had me down for surgery and then changed his mind and decided in his almighty wisdom to go with steroid injections first. Injections never work on me. I have a long history with failed steroid injections. But he's been out of the country, must be nice, and won't be back until my appointment on Monday. I so want to walk again. If he gives me the injection, I won't be a surgical candidate for another three months and I will have missed another summer.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    :)<3 Vicki, stay in the moment and don't let fear of the unknown ruin today

:)Marcelyn, what an awesome group of grandchildren

:) The first of my happiness commandments is "Be Barbie" and that has allowed me to be comfortable with me exactly as I am and not feel like I have to be like anyone else....One of my happiness guidelines is "what is fun for someone else may not be fun for me and vice versa"....so I am not at all troubled that I love my orderly repetitive stay-at-home routine and don't crave travel, adventure, variety, piercings, or tattoos....I love hearing about all of your lives and I don't wish I could trade places with anyone else.

Resolutions for March (with middle of the month comments)
    *weight training twice a week or more (achieved twice a week so far)
    *continue using what I'm learning from the tai chi book (some progress, but could do better)
    *continue working on organizing line dance CD's (some progress, but could do better)

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,378 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Kathy Smith step DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Micah Hudson fit DVD

Sylvia - oh dear, what a horrible situation with your son's wife. How wonderful of you to get those kids out of there

pip - I had heard that you shouldn't clasp your hands. Ever since then I have been keeping my hands flat on my mat under my shoulders

CJ - I'm so sorry you were in such pain. Let's hope it's not RA

Went to Target to get cat litter. If I spend $40 or more, I get $10 off. Plus, I had $1.50 coupons for each of the 4 cat litters. Then went to WalMart. Didn't realize that I needed ground beef so we'll probably have to go to Food Lion. Normally, I'd go to WalMart, but I know how much Vince hates to go food shopping and FL is closer to our house, so I'll spend a little more and go there. Hey, if they have the Snickers, I can get those for the soup kitchen. Update: We did go, but again they didn't have the Snickers

I'm falling into an old bad habit of having junk in order to get my calories for the day up. Gotta break this.

Big welcome to everyone new! Put your feet up and sit a spell

When it comes to tattoos, I'm a wimp. When I turned 40 I got a second piercing in my ear. I thought that was so cool. Now I regret it.

Beth - LOL about proof of God

marcelyn - glad your daughter is ok after that accident

pip - at least you remembered a bra. There have been times when I've forgotten mine. I've also forgotten my underwear. Good luck to Kirby, we'll all be rooting for him

yamabachi - you can do this!! Great goals

Vicki - good luck. I know how scary it can be when you have to return. BTDT. But most times it turns out that they're being overly-cautious

linnell - let's hope you can convince your doc to do the surgery. Can't you just refuse the injection, what would he do then?

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Ooooh took my Betty Crocker recipe of oatmeal cookies and tweaked it a bit. I only made half of the recipe, using wheat germ and flour instead of just flour, adding walnuts, and dried cranberries. Only 80 something calories per cookie, but the cookies are smallish. The halved recipe made 20 cookies. Then I made a regular version for my husband and son. After that I made cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Son will be home for the week on spring break, so I wanted to treat him with some snack foods.

Well tonight is taco night, but I am doing an Asian soup kind of thing. Have a great night ya'll!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Silverstar: Regarding exercise, I've found some things I really like to do. Horseback riding is the most fun, but Yoga tops the list for me. I has improved my strength and flexibility so much, and keeps me fit and flexible enough that I am able to enjoy horseback riding. I also like walking and riding my recumbent bike. The key to my success with exercise has been to find things I really enjoy and make time for a mix of them every week. I hope you'll find things that you enjoy, too. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I love wind if I'm sailing, especially if it is sending me the direction I want to go. I hate wind while bike riding other than the wind I create with my own forward movement and a nice breeze on a warm day. With your intensity and speed on a bike, wind could be really nasty. :grumble: I'll be sending good thoughts for Kirby's shoulder. :heart:

Marcelynh: You are blessed with beautiful grandchildren. :smiley:

Becca: Your nurse obviously had it in for nipple piercings. In her world, it sounds like people aren't allowed to get sympathy for things we've done that have unanticipated discomfort. On the other hand, she could have smirked while saying, "Poor baby, there there," in a sarcastic tone, which would have been even worse... :ohwell:

linnellal: Is your doctor being mean, or has he given good reasons for his decision to try injections? Listening needs to go both ways.. :flowerforyou:

Michele: It sounds like we are in a somewhat similar situation this evening. I'm eating more junk than I should to get calories up some of the time, too. It is nearly six pm right now and dinner will be delayed an hour and a half or more. I need to make some better quality snack choices while I wait. I decided on a protein bar. I hope it does the job. :flowerforyou:

Two different couples, who are our most irritating neighbors, are moving away in the coming weeks. I hope the people moving in are easier to get along with. This brings the turnover to three homes within a few months. There has been no turnover here at all for several years. I hope the new people are fun and easy to get along with. Among the departing residents are good friends, and a pair of frenemies. One of the frenemies thinks it is funny to put garter snakes in my lawn because she knows they startle me & that I dislike it. I won't miss that a bit. The neighbor who uses his leaf blower to dry his car after washing it, and also blows dust off of his deck onto his neighbor's deck will also be moving. His neighbor will probably dance a jig to celebrate. I'm looking forward to the irritation going away & I hope the new people are nice. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh- I love the picture of your grandkids!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Kristan- Yea! A work out buddy! Starts on April first (no foolin')!

[
    Becca and Kristan- There was a point in time when I wanted my nose pierced, but that passed. The nipples and the labia are something that I would never pierce. I can only imagine the pain if something catches... :#

The challenge will be fun with a buddy! As to the nipples and labia piercing, nonononononononono! my belly button hurt bad enough!

Kristan
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,659 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    rope pull- 15min, 118mhr, midset, lvl7, 94ftpmin, 1473ft = 66c
    lateral machine- 15min, 72aw, lvl7, 142mhr, 1.36mi = 129c
    rowing machine- 15min, 64aw, 2571meters, 131mhr = 103c
    Other- physical therapy = 36c
    Total cal = low
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Margaret, so happy that things a looking positive for DH. (((Hugs)))

Janetr, that is great that your DD is moving toward a healthier lifestyle and not waiting until she’s my age.

Joyce, I can’t believe a dentist of any kind let you sit/lay in their chair and didn’t charge you anything? Wow

Heather, great pics. That GD is a “Hoot”, I must agree. How cool about Bea’s name!!!!

Beth, that is terrible about your endodontist/dentist. I seem to hear of more dental fraud with insurance than MDs for some reason.

Liz, welcome. It’s too bad that you only plan to check in here from time to time because it is a great place for support and information. I know what you mean about the last 20 pounds wanting to hang on.

MicheleNC, I have a roll I didn’t have a few months ago, too. It’s loose skin. freaking-out-smiley-emoticon.png And I don’t like it! It looks like a roll of fat under my clothes.

Sylvia, thanks for checking in. You do know that we worry about each other. I’m glad you are okay and hope the trip to KC was a good one.

Joyce, I hate to hear that Charlie is becoming a hermit. That doesn’t sound good. smiley-sad058.gif You just be sure to take care of yourself.

Katla, guess you are going to have to practice your kissing. Er, ah, kissing noises.

CJ, so sorry for your problems and sending good thoughts your way. (((Hugs)))

welcome.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m still staying 2 pages behind but not giving up. Just for the night, I am because I have to get to bed. Sending good thoughts for all of you and wishing you each a healthy and happy day. happy-spring-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie - love the poster. I often tell my oldest daughter that no one has control over you unless you give it to them.

Michele and Katla - I too have a similar problem, but mine is getting in enough protein as 50% of my food intake is supposed to be protein. So I'm looking for snacks and they need to be high protein/low carb.

Marcelyn - the grandkids are beautiful. I would love to be a mouse in the corner for Sunday dinner :) How many children do you have?

Janetr OKC
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Frick frackin fudge pot. The lady that ran the red light made a claim against my daughter's insurance saying it was all her fault. The cop said that he had the witness and the accident was the other lady's fault but she insists that it was my daughters. Now the insurance companies will fight it out and my daughter is left high and dry until it is settled. We won't have the police report for at least 10 days (that's the average time for recording it). We don't know if he ticketed her or not. When my daughter called her own agent they said they would call the other lady's insurance on Monday.... not taking that my daughter called and made her own claim. The lady had not even told her own insurance company she had been in an accident! Her agent was upset because children were involved etc etc. *sigh* Such a pain. The result being that even if they find for my daughter her insurance will likely go up, which she can't afford! AAAUUUUGHHHHH. I really don't need this.

Irritated in Houston
    Marcelyn
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Well, I am supposed to do 7 miles tomorrow,.. Going to try an expierment,, we'll see how it goes
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Pip~ NO SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS WHILE RUNNING..... Lighting the bunsen burner while going uphill is a WEE bit risky. Then there is that stirring with the glass long straw thingy, AND running, well that is just like patting your head and making circles on yer belly.... Heehee,,,,
    Becca
    Being silly in
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Pip~ NO SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS WHILE RUNNING..... Lighting the bunsen burner while going uphill is a WEE bit risky. Then there is that stirring with the glass long straw thingy, AND running, well that is just like patting your head and making circles on yer belly.... Heehee,,,,
    Becca
    Being silly in
    Oregon

I guess that means I can count running backwards on the treadmill out?
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Oh no. I'll jump off of stuff, and get my skin inked, but I'm not having dental work without All The Drugs, and I'm not getting my fun time party bits pierced. We all have our weak points. :wink:

Larisa in Seattle
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Pip- Good luck with your experiment!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    As an RN, I saw a lot of piercing in a lot of weird places and let me say, as they grow older it ain't pretty. Same with the tattoos. Then there the implants, on both men and women. Man, some people are crazy. But we had one gentleman that was the most romantic thing. He was one of doctors and you would have thought he would have gone to another hospital since we had to visibly check his implant every 2 hours after surgery. He was impotent and he planned this secretly to go along with a cruise they had planned for their 50th wedding anniversary. After that surgery, it is very, extremely imperative that you not use it for a specific amount of time. And the first day was going to be on the anniversary.

I hope the different pain clinics around town don't have video survelience and think I am going to two clinics. I have been taking Michelle to her appointments in one clinic. she has been getting these injections of novacaine or one of the 'caines' as a test to see if they would work along with laser on bone spurs along her upper spine. Today she had the laser. Then I take my sister routinely to another clinic and they inject something that works wonders in her lower spine. It takes about 3 or 4 months for that to wear off. So today I took Michelle and next Tuesday I take my sis. The good thing with Michelle is that the test injections and the one today make her walk like she is drunk and she stays with us for several hours and it is nie to have her here.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Joyce- I love the Dr story! You are so nice to be caring for so many of your loved ones. They are blessed to have you in their lives!

<3

Mary from Minnesota