Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    You guys are really nitpicking here. What I think @melissa6771 is trying to get at is that butter is all natural; it's made from milk and sometimes salt. Whereas margarine was originally made in a lab and has lots of added ingredients, a lot of which some people prefer not to include in their diets, myself included.

Nothing says natural like grabbing the nipples of another species and yanking for all its worth in hopes you'll a liquid that you'll be able to pound it into a amorpheous solid food stuff that can withstand shipping across the country in a vehicle that is filled with pressurized coolant to create a temperature cooler than ambient. That's my idea of natural for sure.

For productivity's sake, can we use the term synthetic chemicals to denote the lab concept or kemikillz? I'm cool with either, though the later will give me more of a chuckle.

I get my Raw unpasteurized milk from a local farm that treats its animals humanely. My milk comes in glass, because BPA's, and I've taken to making my own butter which is stable at room temperature. But you know everything.

And just in case anyone wants to criticize my consumption of world dairy products, that is a personal decision and I don't need your input. My family can say is organic pasteurized milk so no worries there.

Funny that you'd bring up raw milk. Raw unpasteurized milk is pretty bad for you. About 150 times higher incidence rate of food related outbreaks because of it than treated milk.

http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/nonpasteurized-outbreaks.html

But "natural" is so much better for you mhmm.

In my n=5, we had raw unpasteurized goat's milk for 14 years without it making us sick.

(I'm not arguing against pasteurization in large scale dairy operations.)

I've known thousands of people that have never been attacked by tigers, and they all wore pants. Clearly tigers never attack those who wear pants. N=1000+.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You guys are really nitpicking here. What I think @melissa6771 is trying to get at is that butter is all natural; it's made from milk and sometimes salt. Whereas margarine was originally made in a lab and has lots of added ingredients, a lot of which some people prefer not to include in their diets, myself included.

Nothing says natural like grabbing the nipples of another species and yanking for all its worth in hopes you'll a liquid that you'll be able to pound it into a amorpheous solid food stuff that can withstand shipping across the country in a vehicle that is filled with pressurized coolant to create a temperature cooler than ambient. That's my idea of natural for sure.

For productivity's sake, can we use the term synthetic chemicals to denote the lab concept or kemikillz? I'm cool with either, though the later will give me more of a chuckle.

I get my Raw unpasteurized milk from a local farm that treats its animals humanely. My milk comes in glass, because BPA's, and I've taken to making my own butter which is stable at room temperature. But you know everything.

And just in case anyone wants to criticize my consumption of world dairy products, that is a personal decision and I don't need your input. My family can say is organic pasteurized milk so no worries there.

Funny that you'd bring up raw milk. Raw unpasteurized milk is pretty bad for you. About 150 times higher incidence rate of food related outbreaks because of it than treated milk.

In my n=5, we had raw unpasteurized goat's milk for 14 years without it making us sick.

I've known thousands of people that have never been attacked by tigers, and they all wore pants. Clearly tigers never attack those who wear pants. N=1000+.

I'm suddenly very nervous...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

+1
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

+1

It could also be knowing me, so you guys might be safe.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Need2Exerc1se that is neat. Why do you chose to make your own over buying it?

I learned more about margarine and that it is a French invention at the request of Napoleon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine
  • gingersplace
    gingersplace Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Butter for sure. But because I really, really like butter (and all dairy for that matter) and it's so calorie-dense, I do use Brown & Brummel margarine as well to cut calories. I think it tastes pretty good for a butter alternative. As for trans fats, many (most?) tub margarines no longer contain partially hydrogenated oils. Manufacturers have gone back to palm and coconut oils.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's easier to spread margarine so I tend to keep it for use on bread. I also have butter on hand for cooking, but even then I tend to use olive or sesame oil.

Both are tasty but as I'm trying to reduce my consumption of animal products I think once the butter is used up that will be the last of it for me.

Also want to add that olive oil margarine is delicious :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    margarine is a chemical sh*tstorm... just sayin. Butter is natural and better for you in moderation

No chemicals in butter? Are you sure about that?

The butter from my local dairy has cream and salt which I guess is technically a chemical, NaCl. Butter for me any day, but I use so little any more.

If cream is not comprised of chemicals, what then?

Magic? Happy cows make magic.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    margarine is a chemical sh*tstorm... just sayin. Butter is natural and better for you in moderation

The butter from my local dairy has cream and salt which I guess is technically a chemical, NaCl. Butter for me any day, but I use so little any more.

20140411.png
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ghee butter for life!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Do you not wear pants?

I've never seen a tiger attack on someone with a man bun, so maybe a style change? It's worth it!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

20140411.png

I love this so much.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Butter. I use light butter.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have butter every day, haven't touched margarine in years. It just tastes gross to me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    @Need2Exerc1se that is neat. Why do you chose to make your own over buying it?

I learned more about margarine and that it is a French invention at the request of Napoleon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

I make my own for because the options at my store are very limited, I like to keep some garlic and herb flavored on hand, and because it's easy and cheaper. And I enjoy making my own food, even little things like margarine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

+1

It could also be knowing me, so you guys might be safe.

YouTube has videos of people in pants being attacked by tigers, so it could be you. I'm not sure if these forums = "knowing" so I'm just going to try and avoid tigers.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    clarified butter even but quite calorie dense
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Butter it is much more natural
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    Butter it is much more natural

Not according to a lot of people who hang out in dairy threads.

(And apparently you have not read the prior discussion about how varied margarine is and how it can be made at home.)
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm butter.

My sentiments exactly :)

To me, margarine tastes like nothing. Why bother?