I've opened up my food Diary, Can someone help me out here?

Options

Replies

• jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    if you don't have a timeline, you might benefit from doing some reverse dieting, get your calories up by a few hundred, then resume your current level of calories. google
    themacroexperiment for an example (about page)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Increasing your protein would also help balance your sugars...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's time for a diet break my friend.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    You don't have to drink them...think lean meats, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs and egg whites, string cheese, beans and lentils...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My a1c is at 5.7% which is absolutely excellent, my sugars are consistent between 4 and 8, but i would rather get protein from increasing meats rather then drinking them and having all those carbs included.

When I first started tracking I was shocked by how low my protein was! I fixed that with chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, string cheese, and protein powder. It took some experimenting to figure out how to work them into what I was already eating, but I've gotten myself up to averaging @ 90-100 grams per day on @ 1,600 cals, and I still eat lots of carbs :). I just try to make sure I get a big hit of protein for each meal and then build everything else around it. It's really helped me feel fuller and I feel like I am seeing better results from my strength training now.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's time for a diet break my friend.

i am intrigued by this but until i can mentally allow myself to increase my calories, its making me want to crawl out of my own skin. But as i said earlier, i am going to have to start getting ready for this, as 15lbs is not far away from having no choice but to switch to maintenance.

You've lost a lot of weight. You haven't taken a break. You simply are not burning the same amount of calories when you work out now as you when you were bigger. Sorry I don't know if anyone posted this link already.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

• DancingMoosie
    Options
    It was hard for me to come out of the "lose" mentality. I ended up in the ER once, and then got put on exercise restriction later. I found taking a week off from counting really helped me let go and relax. I would do a week on, week off from logging my calories. Eventually, I just quit counting, but that was after I was maintaining for a while..Go on a logging vacation :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My a1c is at 5.7% which is absolutely excellent, my sugars are consistent between 4 and 8, but i would rather get protein from increasing meats rather then drinking them and having all those carbs included.

When I first started tracking I was shocked by how low my protein was! I fixed that with chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, string cheese, and protein powder. It took some experimenting to figure out how to work them into what I was already eating, but I've gotten myself up to averaging @ 90-100 grams per day on @ 1,600 cals, and I still eat lots of carbs :). I just try to make sure I get a big hit of protein for each meal and then build everything else around it. It's really helped me feel fuller and I feel like I am seeing better results from my strength training now.

i did a little tweaking in my logs for the next few days and increased my protein up to 90+g, as i said i would start eating more closer to goal on my days off then i have been

Isn't that one of the great things about logging? You can pre-log what you are going to eat and then play around with it to get the numbers you want :love: Good luck!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    For starters, try to meet the protein goal MFP gives you. It is just a minimum, but you are getting about half of your goal, less some days.

I will see what i can do, but on a 1470 calorie diet, i find that eating a high amount of protein to hit that goal doesnt really leave me a lot of room left for anything else in my life lol..

Just an observation from looking at your diary: some days you have from 1/4 to 1/3 of your calories from puddings and chocolates. Perhaps switching out some of that for a protein drink (Bolthouse Farms has a great double protein chocolate flavor) or other protein sources might help you meat your protein goal. I'm not saying to eliminate those things. That would sound preachy.

lol those are my low carb things, is there a lot of carbs in these drinks? since i am currently just getting out of being diabetic, id rather try just eating more meat then to drink anything that might have too high carbs in it.. pudding is no sugar added and so are the little chocolate bars, although i mostly eat those for the 12g of fiber they pack.

Can you explain "getting out of being diabetic?" This would no doubt create a whole new set of circumstances for you and might best be addressed by your doctor.

meaning up until 11 months ago when i started my weight loss, i was 252lbs, and on 130 units of fast acting insulin and 60 units of slow insulin. Since my weight loss i have since stopped needing insulin, i don't need pills, its now diet controlled. Drinking a drink high in carbs just for the protein isn't something that would help me keep my previously horrid diabetes under good control now.

That's awesome, if everyone approached their health issues like you have it would alleviate so many problems. Unfortunately, a quart bottle of Bolthouse has 29 grams of carbs & 64 grams of protein so knowing your situation I wouldn't have recommended it.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok I had this problem maybe it's the same for you. I didn't go back into mfp and reset my goals. When you loose more weight you should be allotted less calories. I figured mfp would automatically do this but it doesn't. So I lost my first 40 lbs eating at 1350 cals when I reconfigured it gave me like 1200 and it's not loosing at the same speed. Just that 1200 is the least amount it gives you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yeah stay away from brands like bolthouse. You can find many protein powders with only 1-2g of carbs per serving.