Silliest weight loss/fitness myth you've ever heard?

Options

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    "Bananas are the reason I gained 60lb while I was pregnant." (Couldn't have been the daily fast food and enormous food intake in general...)

"You're not supposed to eat pasta if you want to lose weight."
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    A Snickers bar eaten with Diet Coke cancel out the calories.

Broken cookies are less fattening due to calorie "leakage".

OK these are old jokes but just as stupid as "muscle weighs more than fat".

If I bake cookies the ugly ones have no calories and must be eaten right away! :wink:
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

If I bake cookies the ugly ones have no calories and must be eaten right away! :wink:

Raw cookie dough also doesn't have any calories when baking. ;)
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Muscle and fat are separate tissues. You can lose and gain both but muscle doesn't turn into fat and fat doesn't turn into muscle

I mean I'm confused about the myth in the first place. What's the logic behind muscle "turning into" something else? I've literally never heard this.

• chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Thigh gap exercises, or any fat spot reducing exercises.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I met my best friend for lunch and her weird sister came along. She went on and on about her new diet and how she hadn't had a single french fry for over a month. Then she ordered onion rings with her sandwich. Whaaaaat?

Lol this reminds me of when my friend and I were eating breakfast on vacation. I got a cinnamon roll and she comments. "Maybe you should get something with more protein in it, we're going to be walking all day." This would have been solid advice if she weren't eating a nutella croissant. According to her nutella is a protein source since it's kinda like peanut butter.

This one is funny.... If only!
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I mean I'm confused about the myth in the first place. What's the logic behind muscle "turning into" something else? I've literally never heard this.

I had the misfortune of hearing two doctors proclaim that muscle will turn into fat on Doctor Radio this weekend. The context was a discussion of sarcopenia, the tendency to lose muscle mass as you age, and the importance of exercise, especially resistance training, to preserve muscle. Unfortunately, one doctor stated outright that muscle will turn into fat, and the host (another doctor) repeated that statement multiple times.

It is a shame, because the message was good (incorporate resistance training to prevent muscle loss), but the information was not (it is impossible for muscle to turn into fat). And it is frustrating to hear doctors who should know better speak with such a lack of precision - no wonder that myth is so prevalent!

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Salmonella from the raw eggs eats the calories so you don't have to!
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I know....I KNOW that I'm risking a few days of absolute misery every time I eat cookie dough.

I just can't not. :tired_face:
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    In the uk chickens are vaccinated against salmonella.....woohoo. free cookie dough.
  • MichelleLea122
    Options
    I must be a very lucky person than considering the amounts of raw cookie dough I've eaten in my life.
    Mentali wrote: »

I know....I KNOW that I'm risking a few days of absolute misery every time I eat cookie dough.

Actually salmonella is quite rare in eggs. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the risk of an egg being contaminated with Salmonella bacteria is about 1 in 20,000 eggs. It's chicken you have to worry about.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I must be a very lucky person than considering the amounts of raw cookie dough I've eaten in my life.

Actually salmonella is quite rare in eggs. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the risk of an egg being contaminated with Salmonella bacteria is about 1 in 20,000 eggs. It's chicken you have to worry about.

I've been eating raw cookie dough all my life...lucky so far, guess I didn't get that one egg. Of course, now I don't bake cookies.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Folks, instead of arguing about whether the statement that "muscle weighs more than fat" is obviously true or obviously false, how about we all just agree to say this:

"Muscle is denser than fat."

However, it is true to say that an ounce of silver weighs more than an ounce of lead!

Ah, but it is only necessarily denser under the same conditions, too! Muscle on earth would not be as dense as fat inside a black hole.

Inside a blackhole we probably can no longer know its density - blackholes tend to destroy information. I'm not sure something can even continue to be baryonic matter once past the event horizon.
  • seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    Options

The chicken and egg dilemma finally resolved!
  • Byrekyla
    Byrekyla Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "All that grease in "X" food sends me immediately to the toilet". C'mon your digestive tract doesn't just squish out grease immediately!
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Muscle and fat are separate tissues. You can lose and gain both but muscle doesn't turn into fat and fat doesn't turn into muscle

My dad says it a lot, as do several other family members. I've questioned it a few times, asking what magical process allows a muscle cell to magically turn into a fat cell and the only response I get is "Ex athletes are always fat!"

It makes no sense to me either but have been told it quite a lot.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I take my chances with cookie dough. And this conversation is totally giving me a trigger to my addiction!!!
  • MichelleLea122
    Options
    I take my chances with cookie dough. And this conversation is totally giving me a trigger to my addiction!!!

I make this amazing greek yogurt cookie dough with a cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt, 1tbs coconut flour, 2 tbs powdered peanut butter, a tbs of chocolate chips, vanilla extract, and stevia. Definitely not the same thing, but it's a pretty healthy way to satisfy that cookie dough craving.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    "Spicy food burns so many calories that they are pretty much a free food."
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

"When I'm dieting I just eat like three heads of iceberg lettuce for dinner and that's it."

A pretty good calorie management trick, if you can stand it! :s

Silly myths: cleanse, reset, reboot anything. So you ate too much. Just move on without the punishment!