Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I dont even know where to start.......
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You know she said she's drinking juice once a day, and two meals, yes? That's easily sustainable and she's likely learning about real food too.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    You know she said she's drinking juice once a day, and two meals, yes? That's easily sustainable and she's likely learning about real food too.

But she believes in detoxing

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

But she believes in detoxing

And paying too much for a MLM product.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

She didn't say she's eating two meals. She said she's eating solid food twice a day. Does that mean two meals? Or does it mean an apple and a piece of toast? Or something in between?

She says she's meeting her calorie requirements. Is that from the juice or from food?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    OP, if you like juicing and it helps you meet your calorie goals, that's fine. But it doesn't have any magical weight loss properties of its own, apart from helping create a calorie deficit.
  • GFH8
    GFH8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Cheers Ciara at least one of you on here is not a troll.

People that hang around on weight loss support groups I thought were meant to be well you know supportive of there fellow weight lossers. Instead I'm being kicked around the playground for using the work 'detox'

Well maybe I should have been a little clearer about my 'Detox' I have IBS and Intolerance to wheat and dairy and still eat them as I love cheese and bread.
    So my detox was
    No wheat
    No dairy
    No alcohol
    No processes food contains words I can not pronounce or containing Enumbers
    No process sugars

Ow silly me for not realising that cutting this produces from my diet was a bad thing, that eating clean and fresh foods for two weeks means being stupid about how I diet
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    GFH8 wrote: »

People that hang around on weight loss support groups I thought were meant to be well you know supportive of there fellow weight lossers. Instead I'm being kicked around the playground for using the work 'detox'

Well maybe I should have been a little clearer about my 'Detox' I have IBS and Intolerance to wheat and dairy and still eat them as I love cheese and bread.
    So my detox was
    No wheat
    No dairy
    No alcohol
    No process sugars

Ow silly me for not realising that cutting this produces from my diet was a bad thing, that eating clean and fresh foods for two weeks means being stupid about how I diet

Yes you should have been clearer. That is not what was said in your OP. You said you were on a detox for 2 weeks. So if these things impact you why only eliminate them for 2 weeks.

P.S SUPPORT doesn't mean agreeing with everything someone does.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    You didn't post any of that in your OP so anyone lurking may read that and think "That is what I HAVE to do to lose weight too!" Which is absolutely not true. I have no aversions to any of things you you listed so juicing is completely unnecessary for me. I enjoy smoothies but I am someone who would rather eat their calories than drink them.
  • ElektricIndigo
    ElektricIndigo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the JP diet 3 weeks ago starting with a 2 week detox and for the last week shake replacements for breakfast and lunch.

I have lost 10lb so far
    I am not sure why there are so many negative comments. Juice and smoothies are a great way to pack in some nutrients and cals for a quick meal or snack, especially if you are someone who struggles with skipping meals due to lifestyle. I work 3rd shift and juice/smoothies are nice post work especially if I want to have something but head to bed soon after, it is easy hydrating and easy to take on the go.

I am sure many people use the term detox, a process or period of abstaining, when eliminating processed foods, alcohol and caffeine or foods they do not feel are serving their bodies well. There are physical and mental aspects of "detox" Just because we have these ideas of fab lemonade cleanses in our minds when we think of the word detox doesn't mean it is a naughty word we ought to avoid at all cost. You must abstain in order to allow you body to go through its process and if increasing your water or juicing or eating clean to crowd out your cravings helps go for it.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

So my detox was
    No wheat
    No dairy
    No alcohol
    No process sugars

So why not just cut the things that aggravate your IBS out of your diet completely, and save your money instead of spending it on juice plus products?
  • CelesseBoo
    CelesseBoo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Juicing and drinking smoothies... if that's what helps you eat a lower amount of calories fine. But why not just buy fruit and vegetables rather than wasting money on Juice Plus supplements?

I totally understand kicking off a diet with loads of juice and fruit and veg. I totally don't understand spending a fortune on a supplement when you could just go out and buy actual fruit and veg, unless you were suckered by the Juice Plus reps who seem to think they can cure pretty much every illness going with JP.

BTW I did 14lbs in first 3 weeks of just lowering calories. So I don't think its some magical cure, you just ate less.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're cutting out all E Numbers? For example, what's wrong with E300 (aka Vitamin C)?
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think too much importance is being placed on the brand name of the diet, personally I think any diet with a brand name is a waste of money where a simple cutting of calories under your own guidance will do. But I don't think she has actually said she believed in the term detox? That is just the name of this thing she is doing, if she didn't refer to it by its name, we wouldn't know what she is doing. And she's already said she's still eating real food and if this is helping her to adhere to her diet, then she's doing perfectly fine. When someone asks about diet isn't the usual response do something you can adhere to and still has you eating food of higher nutritional value? It sounds like she is doing that. And yeah, it might be when she comes off it things go badly, or maybe not, at least wait until then and she posts about her progress or if she goes backwards. I get that we want to advise people against harmful diets, but this all sounds like a group of people crowding around someone and just shouting at them.

Edit: Just to add, I remember reading something from Alan Aragon where he says he has a large shake for breakfast, a smaller one for lunch (pre-workout) followed by a meal post workout and a three egg omelette and dark chocolate with peanut butter in the evening.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    I think too much importance is being placed on the brand name of the diet, personally I think any diet with a brand name is a waste of money where a simple cutting of calories under your own guidance will do. But I don't think she has actually said she believed in the term detox? That is just the name of this thing she is doing, if she didn't refer to it by its name, we wouldn't know what she is doing. And she's already said she's still eating real food and if this is helping her to adhere to her diet, then she's doing perfectly fine. When someone asks about diet isn't the usual response do something you can adhere to and still has you eating food of higher nutritional value? It sounds like she is doing that. And yeah, it might be when she comes off it things go badly, or maybe not, at least wait until then and she posts about her progress or if she goes backwards. I get that we want to advise people against harmful diets, but this all sounds like a group of people crowding around someone and just shouting at them.

Edit: Just to add, I remember reading something from Alan Aragon where he says he has a large shake for breakfast, a smaller one for lunch (pre-workout) followed by a meal post workout and a three egg omelette and dark chocolate with peanut butter in the evening.

OP can do whatever she likes just like the rest of us have done. what she wrote in her first post is so much different to what she wrote after. If you have a complaint that is impacted by the food you eat, too right eliminating it makes sense. But if you are doing it to perform some miracle cleansing that is when i personally find it ridiculous.
    We have a massive industry preying on vulnerable people trying to lose weight which people find irritating and unnecessary. So you say crowding and shouting, i would say trying to help and preventing others from wasting time and money
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I started the JP diet 3 weeks ago starting with a 2 week detox and for the last week shake replacements for breakfast and lunch.

I have lost 10lb so far
    I am not sure why there are so many negative comments. Juice and smoothies are a great way to pack in some nutrients and cals for a quick meal or snack, especially if you are someone who struggles with skipping meals due to lifestyle. I work 3rd shift and juice/smoothies are nice post work especially if I want to have something but head to bed soon after, it is easy hydrating and easy to take on the go.

I am sure many people use the term detox, a process or period of abstaining, when eliminating processed foods, alcohol and caffeine or foods they do not feel are serving their bodies well. There are physical and mental aspects of "detox" Just because we have these ideas of fab lemonade cleanses in our minds when we think of the word detox doesn't mean it is a naughty word we ought to avoid at all cost. You must abstain in order to allow you body to go through its process and if increasing your water or juicing or eating clean to crowd out your cravings helps go for it.

Detox is not synonymous with a process or period of abstaining. "Detox" is short from detoxification, which is the removal of a poisonous substance from the body. You don't remove a poisonous substance from the body only to go right back and consume more of it. It's either poisonous, or it's not. We do not all have "these ideas of fab lemonade cleanses in our minds when we think of the word "detox"." Additionally, there is no reason to abstain from substances that are not poisonous, and abstaining with do absolutely nothing to "allow the body to go through its process"; the body will go through its process regardless of what you're eating. The only time it will not "go through its process" is if you're sick enough to be in the hospital / on dialysis, or dead.

Smoked salmon is processed. What's wrong with smoked salmon? Cottage cheese is processed. What's wrong with cottage cheese? Some of the more militant "clean eating" proponants argue that cooking is processing; I prefer my hamburger at least medium rare, as opposed to uncooked (raw). What's wrong with cooked hamburger? If I can my own green beans, are they processed? What about green beans from the store?

My point is, "processed" is about as useful a term as "clean eating": it's not.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've taken the Juice Plus capsules and saw some good benefits from them though for me they don't fit in the budget long-term. I'm not familiar w/the JP diet but I have some friends who are very into JP so I know they love the JP Complete. Glad it's working for you. Ditto pp's though that you don't need to do a "detox."
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I've taken the Juice Plus capsules and saw some good benefits from them though for me they don't fit in the budget long-term. I'm not familiar w/the JP diet but I have some friends who are very into JP so I know they love the JP Complete. Glad it's working for you. Ditto pp's though that you don't need to do a "detox."

Are there any benefits to taking juice plus capsules that you wouldn't also get from taking a basic multi-vitamin tough?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    elsinora wrote: »
    The reason you're losing weight is because you're only on 1200 cals a day. Not magic juice.

You are my favourite :D