I lose and gain 8+ lbs a day. Never consistent.

2»

Replies

• ninjaosborne
    ninjaosborne Posts: 5 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If the whole point is figuring your BMI, I wouldn't worry too much about it. BMI is kind of a blunt instrument, potentially useful as a screener for typical segments of the population, but whether 163 is better than 171 is probably more a function of your body composition and configuration than anything else - the guideline BMI ranges are huge for a reason.

Are you maybe around 5'8" or 5'9", such that 163 is in the "normal" range, and 171 shows up as "overweight", perhaps? You could just take your daily weights (first thing in the morning, etc.) and average them, even.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big deal for BMR or TDEE, either. It'll vary depending on which calculator you use, but the calc I use gives a difference of around 50 calories a day in BMR for a 40 year-old-male at 163 vs. 171. Your estimation/measurement error for exercise and eating is probably greater than that, even if you're pretty meticulous in your tracking.

Response:
    Thanks for the great reply. I'm looking for a way to track results other than just judging myself in the mirror. Some type of tracking is helpful when tweaking what is working/ not working. So it sounds like I need to steer clear of BMI as it does tell me I'm over weight or normal depending upon the day. (I weigh in naked btw for all those asking). I went out and picked up a hand held body fat scale. Thought maybe that is a better judge on muscle vs fat than just looking at a scale and hoping my weight decrease.

I stick to a solid weekly menu and have really only been focused on carb count, caloric intake, and time of day I have certain foods. I do track my exercises and am following specified calories to keep fueled. Your thoughts on making errors on exercises vs calories based on weight is a good argument.

For the salt questions out there, one thing I have not considered or ever thought about was sodium. I will go back and see if it fluctuates enough to warrant the huge shifts. Maybe I just have night sweats or sweat more some workouts than others. It's is a strange mystery but glad for the support. Thanks to all who are contributing.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Are you working out heavily?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) can mean a change in glycogen & water storage after a heavy workout.

My weight has jumped as much as 6 lbs after a long run.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If the whole point is figuring your BMI, I wouldn't worry too much about it. BMI is kind of a blunt instrument, potentially useful as a screener for typical segments of the population, but whether 163 is better than 171 is probably more a function of your body composition and configuration than anything else - the guideline BMI ranges are huge for a reason.

Are you maybe around 5'8" or 5'9", such that 163 is in the "normal" range, and 171 shows up as "overweight", perhaps? You could just take your daily weights (first thing in the morning, etc.) and average them, even.

To me, it doesn't seem like a big deal for BMR or TDEE, either. It'll vary depending on which calculator you use, but the calc I use gives a difference of around 50 calories a day in BMR for a 40 year-old-male at 163 vs. 171. Your estimation/measurement error for exercise and eating is probably greater than that, even if you're pretty meticulous in your tracking.

Response:
    Thanks for the great reply. I'm looking for a way to track results other than just judging myself in the mirror. Some type of tracking is helpful when tweaking what is working/ not working. So it sounds like I need to steer clear of BMI as it does tell me I'm over weight or normal depending upon the day. (I weigh in naked btw for all those asking). I went out and picked up a hand held body fat scale. Thought maybe that is a better judge on muscle vs fat than just looking at a scale and hoping my weight decrease.

I stick to a solid weekly menu and have really only been focused on carb count, caloric intake, and time of day I have certain foods. I do track my exercises and am following specified calories to keep fueled. Your thoughts on making errors on exercises vs calories based on weight is a good argument.

For the salt questions out there, one thing I have not considered or ever thought about was sodium. I will go back and see if it fluctuates enough to warrant the huge shifts. Maybe I just have night sweats or sweat more some workouts than others. It's is a strange mystery but glad for the support. Thanks to all who are contributing.

You might want to add periodic tape measurements (at multiple spots) and photographs - maybe monthly or so - to your toolkit of tracking mechanisms, too, if you haven't already. Why not? Not time consuming or difficult.

Good luck!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Not to mention, if one does a big workout (such as cardio for 2-3 hours) in heat, you can lose a lot of water weight. For the OP to drop 8 pounds, it has happened to me before to lose that much water weight on a bike ride in the heat if I don't get my hydration/supplement nutrition right. For that reason, I weigh before the ride, and after to make sure I have hydrated and taken the correct amount of SaltStick Caps or Endurolytes.

Here's the chart on water weight loss during exercise - including symptoms.

25961146555_4608c2a1de_b.jpg

I've been as low as 5% weight loss from a ride before, and believe me it is not a fun experience. I'm usually able to keep the worst-case scenario for me now at 1%-2% with the supplement caps and beverage.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    edited March 2016
    My weight is like that. It is typical for me to fluctuate 3 to 8 pounds every few days. I'm 5' 6", around 185, and 47 years old. My weight has been fluctuating like this ever since I started tracking it when I weighed 305 pounds 4 years ago. It is really hard to figure out when I'm losing and when I'm gaining or if I'm stuck in the middle. As a matter of fact, just yesterday I decreased my daily calorie goal because I THINK I'm maintaining, but it is so hard to know! I've lost about 10 pounds over the last 4 weeks, but I had gained that whole 10 pounds in just a few days, so I know it wasn't either fat or muscle weight to begin with. I had hoped when my weight dropped again, it would go lower so I could see how much I had ACTUALLY lost, but it didn't... hence my guess that I'm maintaining.

Anyway, I have figured out that salt makes not one iota difference to my weight fluctuations. This really surprised me because I had always assumed it did. My mom is really salt sensitive, and I just sort of assumed everyone was. I figured out that for me, it added sugars and processed grains... mostly the added sugars. I can fluctuate about 10 pounds in a couple of days depending on how much of that I'm eating. Soy also seems to be a big trigger for me, I think, but it is harder to sort that out... so many foods with added sugars also have soy, so I'm not sure I have that right.

How I have dealt with this crazy fluctuation is with careful tracking. I log my food, very carefully, every single day, and I weigh and log my weight, every single day. I figured out my maintenance calories over a 6 month period of careful tracking, and use that as my guide. I figure out what I SHOULD weigh, based on my calorie intake, and then eventually, my weight will dip down to that #. When it goes back up, if I haven't eaten enough to warrant a weight increase, I assume that increase is inflammation/stool/water/mystery something.

When I look at my progress chart over a couple or 3 months, I assume that the low points are probably my "actual" weight, and I look to see if those low points and increasing or decreasing in pounds. I use the low number to determine BMI.

This may be the absolute wrong way to handle the situation, but it is the best I've come up with. I try to regulate my diet to minimize fluctuations, but smallest fluctuations I seem to be able to get are about a 3 to 4 pound range within a week. When I weigh the same thing 3 days in a row I get pretty excited. :) LOL!

• gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Seeing the same thing and thought of salt. I also just began working out quite a bit more heavily lately. I'm 220/225 or so, just today I was 224 first in the AM, them after workout / sauna was at 220. Weighed this evening just for grins and I'm now just shy of 226. Could DOMS contribute like that?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    gophermatt wrote: »
    Seeing the same thing and thought of salt. I also just began working out quite a bit more heavily lately. I'm 220/225 or so, just today I was 224 first in the AM, them after workout / sauna was at 220. Weighed this evening just for grins and I'm now just shy of 226. Could DOMS contribute like that?

When you multiple times a day like that, it's likely that the biggest contributors of difference are (1) clothes if you're wearing any, (2) weight of food still somewhere in your digestive tract from your last "n" meals ("n" varies by person and meal frequency, but it's likely to be several), and (3) weight of water you've drunk but that is still en route to urination. (Or, if it's hot and you sweat a bunch (really a lot), you could lose water that way, too.)

If you drink 2 measuring cups worth of water (well, actually, around 1.92 cups), that's a pound right there.

IMO, there's really no sensible way to figure out the exact reason for weight changes throughout the course of just one day . . . and no reason to do so. You're *bound* to weigh different amounts after eating and drinking different amounts, after sweating or not, after exercising or not, and more.

If it's fun to weigh yourself lots of times a day, and doesn't stress you, go for it. Otherwise, don't.

Once a day is about the most frequent that you can hope to make any sense of (preferably on awakening, after urinating/eliminating if that's gonna happen, before eating/drinking, stark naked, so you have true comparables).

If daily stresses you - because that's where you'll still see things like salt, DOMS, etc. play a role that you might be able to make sense of, i.e., you'll fluctuate for lots of reasons other than fat/gain loss - then don't weigh daily. Maybe weekly is good.

Don't over-think it, and try to find a routine that informs you, without adding to stress levels!