Every exercise program "works"

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
If you've been in fitness a long enough time, you've seen tons of advertising, commercials and infomercials on "this is the best workout to burn fat!" or "look at the results from people doing this program!".
So not to burst anyone's bubble, but the truth is these "magic" programs aren't original. The exercises that many of they claim are "the best" are exercises and techniques have been around for decades. All they've done is packaged them in a DVD set to sell them to people who end up believing THIS is what they need to lose weight.
But no matter what the program is, it's still going to come down to creating a calorie deficit to lose. And that's exactly what all of the testimonials on any program HAD to do to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Nevertheless, we'll still have poster after poster asking if this or that program "works" for weight loss or for increased fitness.

This would be a good post to direct them toward.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes. It's important to let people know to pick a program "they" can stick with and not always one that is hyped up by testimonials.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    BS, my diet hasn't changed a lick and I'm leaner than ever. Thanks Shakeweight!!
    Options
    You gotta admit, but "Prancersize" was one heckuva novel fitness approach.
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    BS, my diet hasn't changed a lick and I'm leaner than ever. Thanks Shakeweight!!

Lmao!!!
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a 56 year old, formerly obese female with a long history of unsuccessful dieting. Today I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, however much I want. All I do is keep track of every calorie I put in my mouth, and make sure I've burned off all excess calories by the end of the day, through exercise. And it doesn't take much: taking the stairs, doing 50 burpee's a day, practicing piano, at a slow pace, for 1- 2 hours a day, doing yoga mudra's for aproximately one half hour a day, (supposed to keep you fit and healthy).
    I hate exercise, and I'm definitely a minimalist there.
    Today, my weight, blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol and all my lipids are way down and within normal limits.
    I've lost a little over 50 lbs. And am keeping it off. I credit switching from diet pop to water. Nothing but water and black coffee. No sweeteners.
    I keep track of calories and I believe in burpees. Lots of them. I do them throughout the day. 10 here. 10 there. I'm an older woman and I can't do pushups. Not even one. I can't even do the female pushups. My arms aren't strong enough. So, I leave those out. The original burpees didn't include pushups anyway.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I had someone ask me if running or DVDs were better for weight loss and exercise... I asked them which they enjoyed doing more and they said neither, so I answered neither.

If you're not happy with the activity, you won't stick with it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    I had someone ask me if running or DVDs were better for weight loss and exercise... I asked them which they enjoyed doing more and they said neither, so I answered neither.

This. Even when I wasn't paying attention to my calories, I still poled because I love it. I gained weight even though I was working out bc I was eating more then I was burning.

Now the weight is coming back off bc I'm actually making sure that I'm in a deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Is she still alive?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The best program is the one you're not doing
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Is she still alive?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A quick Google reveals that she is alive and galloping.
  • pernajack
    pernajack Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your level of fitness is. If you're coming from totally sedentary literally anything will work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    After years, I still look for exercises I haven't heard of. Board presses were a new one for me. Also, dead press. But, essentially, they are a play off the original exercise.

I seek out new original programming when I get a bit tired of my current routine. I am now doing a DUP program with some heavy cardio on alternate days. The results are impressive so far. But, lol, I've also lowered my TDEE a bit. That's my problem. I always add too many variables, so I never really know which thing did the trick. Lol

Different exercises are totally different than a program. IMHO.

Variations are just that- variations.
  • buff_babe
    buff_babe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you've been in fitness a long enough time, you've seen tons of advertising, commercials and infomercials on "this is the best workout to burn fat!" or "look at the results from people doing this program!".
    So not to burst anyone's bubble, but the truth is these "magic" programs aren't original. The exercises that many of they claim are "the best" are exercises and techniques have been around for decades. All they've done is packaged them in a DVD set to sell them to people who end up believing THIS is what they need to lose weight.
    But no matter what the program is, it's still going to come down to creating a calorie deficit to lose. And that's exactly what all of the testimonials on any program HAD to do to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, every program "works" and there's no magic pill but a lot of people buy into them because it forces them to get off their duff and exercise. Things like P90X and Insanity are structured and you're told what to do each day and there's a lot of people out there that need something like that to get going and to stick with it.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    After my 4th baby I was about 150lb (at 5'9") and oldest daughter was doing diving practice at a suburban pool, there was jazzercise nearby. I remembered doing it in college, and love dancing around, and it was cheap and had babysitting so I did that while she trained.

No other exercise, just the jazzercise. My body went back down to the 125lb it had been before kids, and I got good aerobic fitness, not much strength, but I really didn't change anything else just had fun dancing. I was confused because I thought I'd lost about 5lbs, but my clothes didn't fit. But when I figured out I'd actually lost closer to 25lb it made sense. Really did not notice the change happening, didn't pay attention to eating, nothing changed except I got that daily light workout.

My mom does nothing but walk for exercise. She's 75 and has never been fat, just walks because that's what she likes. She doesn't like "exercising".

I know 2 people who lost more than 100lb each doing yoga. No "cardio", no "strength training" just yoga because they liked it.

I very firmly believe that any sort of exercise done regularly (like daily) for more than a half hour will get you results, fitness and if you need it, weight loss. Healthy weight gain in my experience can take more specific effort.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »

True enough. However, some things you need to do for a while before you enjoy doing them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    buff_babe wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, every program "works" and there's no magic pill but a lot of people buy into them because it forces them to get off their duff and exercise. Things like P90X and Insanity are structured and you're told what to do each day and there's a lot of people out there that need something like that to get going and to stick with it.
    There are lots of "structured" free programs out there on youtube, fitness blender, etc.
    Advertising is what makes Beachbody popular (though I'm not disparaging against their actual workout programs) and for people willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars.
    Nobody can FORCE anyone to do anything. People are buying because of marketing, not because it's really that much better than other workout programs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sanjdee3
    sanjdee3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love fitness blender. Im not a big beachbody marketing fan. they push too much crap on you for a high price. BUT I will say I like Shaun T cause he's fun there's something endearing about his way of "instructing".
    I agree, if you do something everyday then it all balances out. It's nice to see and follow people's successful journeys. I've been trying to lose 15 lbs for over a year, and I'm very fit, but flabby from the booze and enjoying dining out too much. Trying to find my discipline