Every exercise program "works"

Options
2»

Replies

• jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the best workout EVER is........drumroll please....the one you'll actually do consistently! Tada! I like to mix it up though so as to not get bored. Gym machines (elliptical, bikes, resistance stuff), home workout videos, walks. As long as I'm moving, my body gets fitter and healthier it seems.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    As a trainer you have to admit your personality and skills keep people coming back to you and a DVD or program might do that for someone else. I agree a deficit is what truly matters but people who workout are more than likely going to think twice about what they put in their mouth if their on a program they like.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    buff_babe wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you've been in fitness a long enough time, you've seen tons of advertising, commercials and infomercials on "this is the best workout to burn fat!" or "look at the results from people doing this program!".
    So not to burst anyone's bubble, but the truth is these "magic" programs aren't original. The exercises that many of they claim are "the best" are exercises and techniques have been around for decades. All they've done is packaged them in a DVD set to sell them to people who end up believing THIS is what they need to lose weight.
    But no matter what the program is, it's still going to come down to creating a calorie deficit to lose. And that's exactly what all of the testimonials on any program HAD to do to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, every program "works" and there's no magic pill but a lot of people buy into them because it forces them to get off their duff and exercise. Things like P90X and Insanity are structured and you're told what to do each day and there's a lot of people out there that need something like that to get going and to stick with it.

THIS. I was never into fitness before I did P90x and then Insanity. Those programs led to running, which I still do along with working with a personal trainer. I plan on doing another program if I start to get bored with what I'm currently doing. For someone who has never been athletic, hates the gym and (used to think) exercise is a form of torture, a lot of these programs are a great place to start. You know exactly what to do and when to do it, so long as you keep pressing play. Also, many times you have to keep doing something before you start to enjoy it. You might hate it at first, but when you're looking at a calendar, knowing you've got to complete a certain number of workouts and don't want to have wasted the money you've paid for them, you're more likely to do it long enough to actually start enjoying it. Slam them all you want, they've improved millions of people's lives.

To each their own.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    BS, my diet hasn't changed a lick and I'm leaner than ever. Thanks Shakeweight!!

Have you tried the Tug Toner?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    As a trainer you have to admit your personality and skills keep people coming back to you and a DVD or program might do that for someone else. I agree a deficit is what truly matters but people who workout are more than likely going to think twice about what they put in their mouth if their on a program they like.
    I don't disagree here. My OP is basically about NOT having to pick a program that's just POPULAR because it may end up being a program that someone doesn't like and just because is advertised so much on TV and social media. Some of the best results I've heard and seen from are from programs that get no advertisement at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    lezerlies wrote: »
    buff_babe wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you've been in fitness a long enough time, you've seen tons of advertising, commercials and infomercials on "this is the best workout to burn fat!" or "look at the results from people doing this program!".
    So not to burst anyone's bubble, but the truth is these "magic" programs aren't original. The exercises that many of they claim are "the best" are exercises and techniques have been around for decades. All they've done is packaged them in a DVD set to sell them to people who end up believing THIS is what they need to lose weight.
    But no matter what the program is, it's still going to come down to creating a calorie deficit to lose. And that's exactly what all of the testimonials on any program HAD to do to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes, every program "works" and there's no magic pill but a lot of people buy into them because it forces them to get off their duff and exercise. Things like P90X and Insanity are structured and you're told what to do each day and there's a lot of people out there that need something like that to get going and to stick with it.

THIS. I was never into fitness before I did P90x and then Insanity. Those programs led to running, which I still do along with working with a personal trainer. I plan on doing another program if I start to get bored with what I'm currently doing. For someone who has never been athletic, hates the gym and (used to think) exercise is a form of torture, a lot of these programs are a great place to start. You know exactly what to do and when to do it, so long as you keep pressing play. Also, many times you have to keep doing something before you start to enjoy it. You might hate it at first, but when you're looking at a calendar, knowing you've got to complete a certain number of workouts and don't want to have wasted the money you've paid for them, you're more likely to do it long enough to actually start enjoying it. Slam them all you want, they've improved millions of people's lives.

To each their own.
    Lol, where am I "slamming" them? My original OP was basically stating that they aren't ORIGINAL, just in "new" in how they are redistributed amongst the generations.
    Also for all the millions they may have improved, there are 100's of millions who wasted their money on them. Lots of them only pressed play 10 times or less. Only about 10% of people who try a program or diet end up successful on it because it's really NOT for them.
    Again, the point mostly being is people don't have to feel they need to do something like Jillian's 30 day shred, Insanity, etc. and pay an exorbitant amount of money for programs which aren't "original" and "needed" if they are trying to add exercise to their lifestyle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BS, my diet hasn't changed a lick and I'm leaner than ever. Thanks Shakeweight!!

:D I saw one of those in a thrift store a few weeks ago. I busted out laughing because of my daughters reactions when I told them how it "works". They also had some ab torture contraptions oh and a thighmaster! Someone cleaned out their attic LOL.

I stuck with my used tennis racket for $3. Darn I keep forgetting about that! We have a park nearby that has courts. I suck at it and am better suited to hitting a ball with a bat (so you can imagine how my tennis game looks) but hey it's exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options

You, sir, have won the Internet!

• ninerbuff
    Options

You, sir, have won the Internet!
    Lol, they're on sale right now at Sports Authority since it's closing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    caurinus wrote: »

Have you tried the Tug Toner?

Every day ;)