Options
124»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    jmrea334 wrote: »
    I started my journey on Dec 4th 2015 and have faithfully committed to changing my health and lifestyle. I've focused on diet and exercise and overall well being. I'm down 55 pounds and I'm feeling really good. I would like to lose another 50. My main struggle is the weight I carry in my stomach and lower belly. Im doing 45-50 min of cardio 5 days a week. Does anyone have success methods they can share with me to help reduce my stomach fat?

hello! great job on losing so much ! Keep it up ! and do not worry , belly fat sadly is the last to go , so get used to that idea . Also , i dont like how much cardio you are doing , its a bit much . please replace 2 of those days with weightlifting, especially squats, it will tighten your core and it will actually look that you are losing belly fat a bit.
    Remember that too much cardio will burn away your muscles , and muscles are burning a lot of calories so dont work against yourself.
    you will not get jacked , no matter how much weightlifting you do :smile: .

Good luck !

Cardio does not burn muscles - if you are using muscle why on earth would you lose it? It's only a fuel of last resort - the OP has a very generous supply of energy! "Too much" is actually a ridiculously high amount that is beyond the reach of normal people.

Muscle tissue does not burn a lot of calories unless is actually being used.
    THIS. If one is getting in enough protein and carbs (both muscle sparing), along with a couple of resistance training sessions, muscle loss will be the least of the problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    sistaqtpie wrote: »
    Cutting back on carbs might help. Here's a link I checked out, I hope it is helpful. https://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-ways-to-lose-belly-fat/

Please don't take authority nutrition as an actual authority on nutrition.
  • moonsofadam
    moonsofadam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would say keep the caloric deficit going, cut back on carbs, increase protein, and keep both the cardio and strength training going at full steam. Belly fat is usually the last to go, so be patient and in the meantime you can work on abdominal exercises to tighten that area so when you eventually reach your goal, you'll already have that part built up in terms of muscle and strength.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. The level of bad in this thread is mind-boggling...
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have been amazed at how the fat around my stomach and hips has reduced from not only cutting out the standard biscuits, cakes, crisps, chocolate etc but also following the rule of only eating bread/potatoes/rice/pasta/cereal when i have earned it through exercise ie for breakfast (I workout at 5am).
    From your profile pic I think I'm a couple of decades older than you (I'm 46) but this is whats worked for me. I could go into what my pt said about why it happens particularly to 'older'women but dont have time :smile:
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    I mentioned this in another post, belly fat is not a weight issue its a hormone issue it's High Cortisol Levels. You can't lower cortisol by dieting, only calories are lowered by dieting. No amount of belly excercises or calorie deficits are going to totally eliminate it. You need to CALM DOWN. Cortisol is a stress hormone and your body's natural response is "I better hold onto this fat " Becuase its a survival mehinism, Body fat is a survival gland. and evidently you've mentioned you have a stressful job. You lower it by reducing stress. That includes stressful people too and stressfull situations Do not overtrain or lower you calories to cause more stress to your body. Your body is telling you " hey im stressed " its puts your body in fight or flight mode listen to it and relax. Once you've evened out you stress level the belly fat will start to dissolve gradually by you excercise and dieting & maintaining a less stressfull life in general. Also do not be sleep deprived, make sure you get enough Rest. Cheers

I'm unable to give you my full thoughts on this without ending up banned. Just assume they would read like this: €÷%_******!!&***%#&)(*&! $@!

Simply put, a person with 50 pounds to lose has belly fat because she is overly fat, stress or not. That is not a slam on the OP. I have been 50 pounds overweight and I was just fat. Did I have stress? Of course. Few people do not. But my stomach fat was from eating too much, not from anything else. There's no reason to think otherwise with the OP.

When you hear hoof beats, think of horses and not zebras.

Not entirely. She specifically talked about stomach and lower belly fat and that is what I spoke off going with the title & description of the post. I'm simply explaining the mechanics behind the issue, It's not all about "but stomach fat is about eating too much" it's not. Neither is it calorie in and calorie out. If you want to lose weight and advise other people to do it properly make sure you know what your talking about so you can advice safe healthy weightloss. you are just stating the obvious and don't really know what you are talking about, perhaps proceed with caution when trying to advise someone on how to healthyly lose weight.

I'd wager that you don't know what you're talking about.

Fat is fat is fat that will only come off with a calorie deficit. Magically removing stress from your life won't make you thin, sorry. Quit peddling woo.
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    jmrea334 wrote: »
    I started my journey on Dec 4th 2015 and have faithfully committed to changing my health and lifestyle. I've focused on diet and exercise and overall well being. I'm down 55 pounds and I'm feeling really good. I would like to lose another 50. My main struggle is the weight I carry in my stomach and lower belly. Im doing 45-50 min of cardio 5 days a week. Does anyone have success methods they can share with me to help reduce my stomach fat?

Spot reduction no however cardio along with a diet will result in fat loss which will slim down your stomach. To add muscle to your stomach which I am currently doing myself I use the following rutine and I have seen alot of changes in very little time.

Planks: 4 x 1 min
    flutter kicks: 4 x 25
    Sit ups: 4 x 25 holding a 8lbs medicine ball
    Leg ups: 4 x 25

This has worked so well I havent needed to worry about abs
  • masdec7
    masdec7 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    All bodies lose weight differently. Some lose faster in the gut and others elsewhere. Just keep up what you are doing and it will eventually fade as well. Don't get discouraged.
  • Deroised
    Deroised Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nothing calms me down more than being told to CALM DOWN.
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Add a little bit of weight training into your routine. But mostly just focus on your eating habits.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Go to bed exactly 3 hours after the moon rises. Do 10 minutes of meditation every morning. Bark like a dog every time you see a red car, but only if it is not immediately followed by a green car.

Do this in combination with a consistent calorie deficit over time, and that stomach fat will melt right off. Guaranteed.

My takeaway from this thread.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Deroised wrote: »
    Nothing calms me down more than being told to CALM DOWN.

Haha I know right? I find it's better when people get right in my face and shout it- always works.
  • hil9188
    hil9188 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    this isn't just for fat loss around the belly but do more lifts to gain muscle don't worry about getting to big because your a female and your body doesn't produce enough testosterone to build a lot of muscle to make you get big plus the more muscle you have on your body the more calories you'll burn even at rest
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hil9188 wrote: »
    this isn't just for fat loss around the belly but do more lifts to gain muscle don't worry about getting to big because your a female and your body doesn't produce enough testosterone to build a lot of muscle to make you get big plus the more muscle you have on your body the more calories you'll burn even at rest
    Building muscle on a calorie deficit is improbable for most people. Especially women. And while having more muscle will help with calorie burn, it's not that significant unless you've added a significant amount of muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is filled with so much woo. OP, just keep doing what you're doing, the fat will go.
    #saynotowoo
    ^^^this
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    hil9188 wrote: »
    Building muscle on a calorie deficit is improbable for most people. Especially women. And while having more muscle will help with calorie burn, it's not that significant unless you've added a significant amount of muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

+1