Am I too old and kidding myself?

Options

Replies

• dr_soda
    dr_soda Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can't turn the clock back, that much is true. It is also true that the earlier you start the better health you'll have as you age.

That's the strongest reason I have to tell you that you're absolutely not wasting time getting in shape right now. Your 60 year old self with a fit and hearty frame will look back at your 40 year old self with gratitude, instead of looking back in shame at the moment he could have turned his life around. Even if you won't ever have the body of a 20 year old again, you'll thank yourself for doing what you always wished you had.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how old you are, or about the past. If you have a goal, set out and achieve it. "If you will it, it is no dream." Theodor Herzl (quoted from The Big Lebowski).
  • Scrappincarla
    Scrappincarla Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how old you are, or about the past. If you have a goal, set out and achieve it. "If you will it, it is no dream." Theodor Herzl (quoted from The Big Lebowski).

What he said.

But hell, I'm in the best shape of my life, and I'm 49!
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 waiting total knee replacement, tired of being frumpy
    One is never to old to look after ones self

Tomorrow is anew day, a new start
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I was at my fittest and healthiest (I even ran a half marathon!) at 45.

I mean, you don't have to try to be healthy... but what's the alternative? Increasing your risk of pain and disease? Saying "I'm old, I'm always going to be fat". Why would you want to do that?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    52 and I shame a lot of 20 year olds of today. Age is a number and while it may be a bit more difficult than when you're younger, determination and discipline still rule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Heavens no!!! I starred at 59, have lost 135 lbs, and made amazing progress in my fitness. 2 yrs ago I couldn't walk more than 1/4 mi without excruciating pain. Now I'm working on c25k. One of my friends started at 58, regularly outperforms 20-somethings, and is training for a triathlon sprint.

You're never too old!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's only a question of what you are willing to do to get that "chiseled body". It is possible. Are you willing?

• Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I was in the military, I would go to the gym and see my Pathologist (he was at least 50) just absolutely killing it on the row machine. I would get on the other one, row as hard as I could for an hour (he was way faster than me) and when I was done, he would still be there, rowing away. When we did 5K fun runs, he would dress up like the Flash and nobody could beat him. It was ridiculous. It is never too late.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    A higher level of fitness is going to make you feel and look your best at any age. The median age in the US is hovering around 40. If you're lucky enough to live to 80 with good health, you may feel silly having considered yourself "too old" at 40. Get moving!
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 47 and I've had a slim body lots of times but never a fit body....that's what I'm going to go into my 50's with.
    40 is the new 20 don't you know!
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'll chime it with the rest. First, you are not old, and you are never to old. I'm 55 and plan to work out until I'm no longer able. Not only does it make me feel better, and look better. But as we age, it's important for keeping bones strong, and the heart healthy. I want to be able to move freely well into my later years, not struggle to even bend down.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Not sure when 40 became old. I am 61 will be 62 in Oct. I think I have done fairly well. You can work to get better as you get older or let yourself deteriorate. Those are your choices. Grow muscles or just grow old.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm 64. I started on my weight loss and fitness trek in August, 2015. I'm down 65 pounds, I've started C25K (2nd week) and have an Olympic weight set and squat bar (and use them) in my garage. "Old" is how you let yourself get.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. If you want to start a career as a professional model, probably yes, you should have started more than 20 years ago. If you want to be fit and look good, of course 40 is not old!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    52 and I shame a lot of 20 year olds of today. Age is a number and while it may be a bit more difficult than when you're younger, determination and discipline still rule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Indeed.

I'm 45 now and at some stage thought "who am I kidding" BUT then I came here and found the fitness forum is full of people in their 40s who are in fantastic shape!! I would look at the profiles of some ladies (usually the heavy lifters) and assumed they would be in their late 20s, just to find they were my age!

In my gym I can wipe the floor with many women in their 20s in terms of fitness. Age is no hinderance.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I didn't start until I was 52. You can always look good but bulking up has its downside too. Your clothes (suits) won't fit and it takes a lot of time. Its more about quality of life for me now. I don't take any medication and want to keep the doctor away as long as I can. I work out for fitness and to avoid getting hurt. I also eat a lot better than I used to.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, way fitter than I was at 20, and getting more fabulous by the day. Age schmage! :)
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Um, 40 is NOT old! Who on earth told you that and why would you ever believe them?! Silliness, I tell you. You can do anything you put your mind to. Make a plan, be consistent, and keep setting new goals. I'm 44, BTW. If I can do it, anyone can.

Also, you mention exercise, but your diet and nutrition are #1 as far as reducing body fat. How's your calorie intake? Do you track your food?

Total Baloney. And dangerous one at that.

We can all make efforts, sure; but the results will vary depending on what we got to start with.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Almost 44. In the past 4 months, I have worked out almost every day. Down almost 40 lbs. Looking and feeling better than I did in my 30's. As for a chiseled body....let's see in a few months.