Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fruits vs Sweets?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Today I had a banana, a d'anjou pear, and a mandarin. Today I did not partake of the company candy bowl.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Most, as I love fruit.

I think it's seriously weird to focus on how much sugar fruit has, however.

Count your blessings.

Haven't you posted that you used to eat tons of candy and soda?

Anyway, I had a pear today.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Ripe mango, papaya, and Oregon berries. Though high quality dark chocolate is right there with them ;-).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    My doctor told me to eat less sugar, which I actually appreciated, because doctors usually see that I'm not overweight and take things like higher-than-expected blood sugar less seriously than they should. The only hitch is that most of the sugar I was eating was from fruit. He didn't actually ask me what I was already eating.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    Chocolate!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Depends on my goals for that day. If I've already had enough fibre then I'd just go for the sweets and fit them in. Otherwise, I'd go for fruit. Honestly, there isn't a fruit I don't like, unless we're counting avocado. My favourite is lychees.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Most, as I love fruit.

Count your blessings.

Oooookay.

Yes I did used to eat candy or a soda on most days of the week in my mid to late thirties. Wasn't good for my insulin resistance, hence my choice of fruits over sweets with the fruits being berries because they are low in sugar. I HAVE to count carbs to maintain my health. Count your blessings that you don't need to count your carbs.... and be weird. LOL
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Chocolate covered banana
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Most, as I love fruit.

Count your blessings.

Oooookay.

Yes I did used to eat candy or a soda on most days of the week in my mid to late thirties. Wasn't good for my insulin resistance, hence my choice of fruits over sweets with the fruits being berries because they are low in sugar. I HAVE to count carbs to maintain my health. Count your blessings that you don't need to count your carbs.... and be weird. LOL

LOL!

You pretend to think veg are bad for you.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Right now - grapes are in season and seriously sweet and delicious. I buy them direct from the growers and they are beautiful and crisp, and feel like a treat.

Once the grapes finish and winter approaches - probably mandarins or apples, but they aren't usually as good as the grapes.

And, not a fruit, but I like roasted sweet potatoes for a snack too.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Pineapple, and Fuji apples.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    Most, as I love fruit.

Count your blessings.

Oooookay.

LOL!

You pretend to think veg are bad for you.

Okay then... so you eat the same now as you did when you gained your weight? I went through a few years of eating foods I knew were bad for me. I knew and had a hard time stopping. I wasn't proud of it but there it is.

I don't think veg are bad... I do think they mess with my blood glucose, and that eggs, meats, nuts and dairy are adequate in the nutrients I need, although I still enjoy low carb veggies. I just don't eat a huge amount because of the negative effects on my BG and autoimmune pain.

... But this is waay off topic. This is a thread about fruit vs sweets isn't it? I would now choose fruit. Specifically berries. While I was gaining I would have chosen sweets. People, and their circumstances, change.
  • KatyP86
    KatyP86 Posts: 164 Member
    Tangerine, mangos, and cherries!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Anything but bananas, and that's only because I'm allergic to them. I'll try any other fruit once, and probably love it! :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Depends on which are in season.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I don't understand this kind of question. I eat fruit almost every day, and I eat sweets sometimes. I don't usually feel like I'm in a position to choose between them.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I don't understand this kind of question. I eat fruit almost every day, and I eat sweets sometimes. I don't usually feel like I'm in a position to choose between them.

How about in a Japanese/Asian restaurant where the choices are often: an orange, lychees (one of my favorites as well), and either matcha or red bean ice cream?

In this case, I consistently go for the fruit if I get anything. No question.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

How about in a Japanese/Asian restaurant where the choices are often: an orange, lychees (one of my favorites as well), and either matcha or red bean ice cream?

If I'm offered a dessert that I love in a restaurant, I'm likely to go for the thing I can't grab out of the produce aisle any time.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »

If I'm offered a dessert that I love in a restaurant, I'm likely to go for the thing I can't grab out of the produce aisle any time.

Asian Grocery stores can solve this problem.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »

Asian Grocery stores can solve this problem.

In both directions. Grab the ice cream and the fruit in one place.

Seriously, though, if I'm headed to the Asian grocery I'm getting more fun and less common stuff than oranges, lychee, red bean or matcha ice cream.

Macapuno (mutant coconut) FTW!

Have a jar of this sitting at home just waiting for me to get off of my butt and make bibingka.