Fit for Fall Challenge - 6/20 - 9/05

Options

Replies

• emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so great so far! You are all helping keep me motivated for sure. I'm heading to Target after work today to pick up some ankle weights in the spirit of this weeks challenge and the advice to add some weights to walking while I'm taking a break from running. Its going to be tough though, I was really debating going running today but I'm going to take a walk on my lunch instead.

So I'm the question girl this week. I've been pretty stuck at the same weight for the last few weeks and now I've started to gain so I'm trying to figure out what is wrong. I've made no significant changes in my amount of exercise or general eating except I switched from regular milk to almond milk about a month ago-a glass a day with breakfast is my norm. So what do people think about the dairy tie in with weight loss? Could it be that I'm not getting enough dairy now and that's what's causing some of this? I have no issue with regular milk, just happened to keep getting coupons for the almond milk. I did find online that almond milk does not count as a dairy serving and I didn't think to add another dairy serving. I think I'll switch back and see what happens, but I'm curious if anyone else has had experience with this?
  • EverythingCubbies
    EverythingCubbies Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join also!
    SW: 176 :(
    GW: 165 :)
    NSV: Complete 5K and train for 10K
    NSV2: Cut out evening sugar snacks
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm really liking the 10 glasses a day challenge! The first day I did so well I drank even more no problem, the heat helps of course. I was pleasantly suprised w/myself. And I've put a lemon slice in my glass a few days and just used that glass throughout the evening, makes it delightful :D
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Water 3/7
    Weight 2/7

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ellen, how is your water intake? I personally don't think the milk has anything to do with it, I'm not a big dairy drinker (like I have creamer in my coffee every morning and thats the extent of it...). I think if you're eating the same, exercising the same, then maybe your body is just used to the amount of calories in vs calories out and you need to change it up a bit. I'm a full believer that when you his a plateau you need to increase your caloric intake for a few days (I did 2000 calorie days for 3 or 4 days) then jumped right back into my routine and that finally did the trick.

You have to trick your body.
  • Jessicapages
    Jessicapages Posts: 427
    Options
    Water 3/7
    Weight 3/7

Going to do D12L2 of 30 Day Shred when the baby goes to sleep......
  • Michelle228
    Michelle228 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey all well this week has pretty much been hell for me lol . Dealing with alot of stress due to the fact that my husband got laid off... But he and I have been walking this week and i have been drinking about 5-6 glasses of water a day and have only had 1 diet dr pepper this week (the glasses of water were in 24 oz glass) gonna get my weights out today and start that too! this is a great group and jsut being with you all makes me feel motivated ! Now if i could just get over the damn stress lol
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday, Everyone!

@ Ellen - I'm on a 3-week plateau as well (although this morning's non-official weigh in showed a new number!!!! (hint, hint to those from MM Challenge) :wink:

I've mixed up my exercise routine not only with what I'm doing each day but when I'm doing it. Hoping that will shock my body out of the plateau. I haven't tried eating more calories for a few days (I'm afraid I won't stop) but I might consider it with the next plateau (because they always seem to creep back around, don't they?) :explode:

I'm doing my first Zumba class tonight. I'm a little concerned with how I'll look but I have to get past that. I've read some people post this as 'Dancing'...any other suggestions?

To those from the Midsummer Meltdown Challenge - I posted the final weigh in results on that thread.
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I'm sure those of you that I have been challenging with in the past are marveling at my lack of posting, I sure am. It's been a crazy week and I find myself today in Breckenridge, CO at a training. I was fearing weight gain from hotel/restaurant/training facility food. However, right now I am more concerned that I'm going to get enough food. The food so far has been TERRIBLE, I got a white bagel (whole wheat not an option) with cream cheese bracing myself for the high calorie hit, it was so aweful I couldn't stomach it after 3 bites. So I went for the scrambled eggs, bracining myself for the high fat of that made with butter, and managed just one bite. Oh woe is me I'm hungry and can't stomach the food! :angry:

But the bright side is that this is an NSV, I'm not just eating b/c food is there, I'm eating to meet my body's needs, and when my body says "this food is CRAP, don't eat it!" I know I've come a long way.

Anyway, on to this week's challenges:
    water 3/7, no worries on this one, I'm a big water drinker
    working out with weight: 2/7 wore a 8lb pack of stuff when I jogged to work Wed and did a gilad workout with weight on Tuesday. I'm probably going to be a little slack on this as I don't have access to weights at the traning facility. But I'm still planning good burns on fun machinesAs a side note, forgot my bathing suit and there's an awesome pool here. Might have to splurge and get a new one so I can do laps tonite. Undecided on that....
  • Tissues
    Options
    Ailene... is it emoticon party time!? :drinker: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: Can't wait to see your new number on Monday!

I would say 'dancing' is pretty accurate for Zumba, unless you feel like it doesnt give you the calorie burn your feeling and you feel it falls more into the aerobic catagory.

I swear I need to bite the bullet and invest in a HRM. I wont have extra money until end of August though :tongue: unless the hubby works OT.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Ellen, how is your water intake? I personally don't think the milk has anything to do with it, I'm not a big dairy drinker (like I have creamer in my coffee every morning and thats the extent of it...). I think if you're eating the same, exercising the same, then maybe your body is just used to the amount of calories in vs calories out and you need to change it up a bit. I'm a full believer that when you his a plateau you need to increase your caloric intake for a few days (I did 2000 calorie days for 3 or 4 days) then jumped right back into my routine and that finally did the trick.

You have to trick your body.
    Ellen, I also agree that it isn't the milk either. I've been drinking almonds milk for months. If anything, it should help with the weight loss, it's very low in calories.If you have been at a plateau for awhile, i definately think like Stacy, that you should change things up. I increased my calories over a month ago and I'm still having good results with that. Our bodies do get used to the same calories and the same exercise. If you are set to lose a lb a week, bring it down to 1/2 lb a week. That will shake things up. I love tricking my body lol.

Sounds like everyone is doing a fantastic job this week:) Keep up the good work!!
  • Tissues
    Options
    Hi Olivia!! Glad you are able to pass up the crap food without a second glance!
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    CW: 254

GW: 220
  • Tissues
    Options
    I'm a post *kitten* today, but I swear the day MFP gets a "like" button I will be in heaven.
  • KatheryneH13
    KatheryneH13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I want to start the 30DS soon, does anyone have tips (or want to join me.:wink: )
  • Tissues
    Options
    I want to start the 30DS soon, does anyone have tips (or want to join me.:wink: )

start with 1-3lbs weights and when you're ready to move up, move up to 5 not 8..lol. I made that mistake and can't get through level 2 with my 8lbs weights. Other than that its an awesome 20 minute workout and you will get maximum calorie burn.

in fact.. I think i will join you. I need to do more stregnth training again and I'm getting burnt out on BFBM.
  • Tissues
    Options
    Hey all well this week has pretty much been hell for me lol . Dealing with alot of stress due to the fact that my husband got laid off... But he and I have been walking this week and i have been drinking about 5-6 glasses of water a day and have only had 1 diet dr pepper this week (the glasses of water were in 24 oz glass) gonna get my weights out today and start that too! this is a great group and jsut being with you all makes me feel motivated ! Now if i could just get over the damn stress lol

Michelle, sorry to hear about your hubbys lay off. Ive BTDT more times than I'd like to mention. (2009 was a REALLY rough year in my household). Just keep your head up and incorporate your exercise as a stress reliever (boxing does wonders for me in that department).
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm doing the shred right now!!! Always love that one even though I haven't got all the way through, but for the time I do it, I can tell great results in toning and strength and endurance! So let's do it! I also have her "No More Trouble Zones" which I have yet to try.
    Ailene, I have seen others log Zumba as dancing as well, but I think it could be aerobics...hard to tell, I desperately want a HRM!!!

I know about the plateaus you all are experiencing...I changed my goals to 1/2 a pound week recently and have been trying to get more calories in, I honestly don't think I was eating enough. Now with bigger than normal workouts and burns, I have been ravenous!
    Good luck, I hope we can bust this plateau...I'm still pressing on!
    Michelle, I'm also sorry to hear about your husbands lay off, it is not easy, financial stress is something I know all too well and it can have an effect on everything!!!

Olivia, yes, I have wondered where you have been...sorry the food is crap where you are!
  • MCPTeach
    MCPTeach Posts: 4
    Options
    TOTALLY IN! New to MFP, have been doing it for 2 weeks now. Really like it. I am in transit, moving from Hawaii to Florida by way of CO and NC , so the weigh in part will be tough. I'll give it a go, though.

CW: 214
    GW BY 9/5: 190
    NSV: Run a 5k without stopping -- doesn't have to be a race persay, but the equivalent distance/keep calories below my net goal/exercise every day - do something daily!

Okay, here we go!

Monica Chandler-Potts
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newest members! We're now up to 132 people! Yawsa!!!
    Read my posting at the top of Page 10 - it highlights the format of the challenge

@ Olivia - sorry to hear about your lack of food options. Have you hit the grocery store yet? Remember my debacle in May? Travelling to a seminar with no healthy food options...thank goodness for the local grocery store!

@ Katheryn - my tip for 30DS - take measurements before you start. If you stick with it, you'll see an improvement!

Good idea on the HRM...not sure why I haven't gotten one yet.