fish.. yuck!

Options
I can't be the only who HATES seafood? I know fish is important in healthy eating because it's considered "good fat" but I just can't eat the stuff! Does anyone think if I worked in some fish supplements into my diet I'll get the same benefits?

Replies

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    What kind of seafood have you tried? Most seafood have different taste not all fish taste fishy. Not all seafood taste like fish.
  • yweight1969
    yweight1969 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not everyone eats seafood or can eat seafood do to allergies and their just fine.
  • nic041mccoy
    nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    What kind of seafood have you tried? Most seafood have different taste not all fish taste fishy. Not all seafood taste like fish.

I can honestly say I've tried it all! My boyfriend is an avid seafood eater Andi always get conned into taking a bite! Lol its just not my thing :(
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I can eat fish sandwiches from a fast food place, or fish and chips, and tuna salad but anything else is eew. I tried shrimp again on my birthday, just to see if I still thought it was gross, and it was. Salmon--ick. Lobster? It's red and looks like a giant bug and if you can get past that, the meat is chewy. No, thanks.

I have accepted the fact that I am weird.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's mandatory in life to eat seafood.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat fish, but omega 3's are important. You can find some good supplements, just make sure they are from a good company. They don't even have to come from fish, some are flax seed or other oils. I don't get the hating seafood bit, though. I just made salmon two ways for dinner tonight (1 with mustard and panko, 2 with smokehouse maple seasoning). I love it!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I can only observe that extended exposure to a food can make you change your mind about it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat it. I will say that sometimes it is about how it was prepared. For instance I used to think I hated Salmon. Then one day just a couple of years ago I took a leap of faith and tried sushi. Turns out I LOVE salmon. I just prefer it raw or at least if cooked, medium rare.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only who HATES seafood? I know fish is important in healthy eating because it's considered "good fat" but I just can't eat the stuff! Does anyone think if I worked in some fish supplements into my diet I'll get the same benefits?

I'm not a fan of seafood. I don't see a problem with taking the fish oil supplements instead.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think if I worked in some fish supplements into my diet I'll get the same benefits?

Which benefits were you trying to get? Some of the benefits, like stroke protection, didn't happen with supplements, according to some studies.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way until a halibut fishing trip to Alaska. I love beer battered halibut. It's one of the few fish that doesn't taste (or smell) like fish. I can't even fathom eating sushi.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I only recently started eating haddock and I actually like it (plus salmon and canned tuna). I wouldn't eat any other seafood (lobster is OK but nothing special for me) and I live in nova Scotia Canada (maritimes) so everyone her eats seafood!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat it. I will say that sometimes it is about how it was prepared. For instance I used to think I hated Salmon. Then one day just a couple of years ago I took a leap of faith and tried sushi. Turns out I LOVE salmon. I just prefer it raw or at least if cooked, medium rare.

I'm the same way with salmon - cooking it all the way through ruins it for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    You're not alone. I can eat fish sandwiches from a fast food place, or fish and chips, and tuna salad but anything else is eew. I tried shrimp again on my birthday, just to see if I still thought it was gross, and it was. Salmon--ick. Lobster? It's red and looks like a giant bug and if you can get past that, the meat is chewy. No, thanks.

I have accepted the fact that I am weird.

I don't like any seafood with a shell, and the harder the shell, the less I like it. My family thinks I'm weird.
  • paulag1955
    paulag1955 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The only seafood I eat is salmon, and that rarely because wild caught is pretty pricey, and I've been getting along just fine for decades.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I used to be that way until a halibut fishing trip to Alaska. I love beer battered halibut. It's one of the few fish that doesn't taste (or smell) like fish. I can't even fathom eating sushi.

The fish part Ian fine with.... Nori.....eeee please! Who said seaweed was a good idea? Thanks to sushi I believe in healthy enough! Pass the sushimi tuna with wasabi please........
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

The fish part Ian fine with.... Nori.....eeee please! Who said seaweed was a good idea? Thanks to sushi I believe in healthy enough! Pass the sushimi tuna with wasabi please........

+ JUST SAY NO TO SUSHI!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sooo, don't eat it? What's the problem, here?
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not the only one. Can't stand the smell or texture of any fish I've tried. Actually liked lobster, then developed a shellfish allergy, so now I only eat land dwellers!!
  • laurenjennifer1987mfp
    Options
    I'm ok with most fish, but not as fond of prawns / shelled seafood. The fresher the better as far as seafood or fish is concerned - very fresh fish smells and tastes pretty mild. I check the eyes before purchasing - if they're bright and clear ill be more inclined to buy. The prep doesn't bother me, I used to gut / clean / prep my Dads catches. Hubby will eat fish now (took him years to try it and eventually like it) but he'd rather buy it ready prepped or battered and prefers firmer white-fleshed fish - we both prefer it fully cooked through.