fish.. yuck!

Options

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to all fish and all seafood and I've managed just fine for 30+ years.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    odd. saying you don't like seafood to me is like saying you don't like fruit or meat. Seafood is a very large and diverse food group with diverse tastes.

you got your fish, and other fish, prawns, lobsters, abalone, oysters etc etc etc

have you really tried it all?

If you are just after omega 3, maybe look up vegan options. several seeds seem to be good, flax seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, add it to yoghurt seems to be popular.
  • nic041mccoy
    nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sooo, don't eat it? What's the problem, here?

Lol the problem is I don't like fish but would like the health benefits from it.
  • nic041mccoy
    nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lots of great answers thanks!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    odd. saying you don't like seafood to me is like saying you don't like fruit or meat. Seafood is a very large and diverse food group with diverse tastes.

you got your fish, and other fish, prawns, lobsters, abalone, oysters etc etc etc

have you really tried it all?

My reaction as well! I like salmon, trout, herring, mackerel, tuna; will eat cod but not pollock. I love sushi. I love all kinds of shells, even oysters, but not scallop. I like shrimp/prawns/scampi/crayfish/lobster, but don't like crabs at all.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just use the fish oil supplements. Take a variety... cod liver oil, fish oil etc. Just make sure you don't have to burp because you're going to get an awful surprise.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you don't like it don't eat it. I will say that sometimes it is about how it was prepared. For instance I used to think I hated Salmon. Then one day just a couple of years ago I took a leap of faith and tried sushi. Turns out I LOVE salmon. I just prefer it raw or at least if cooked, medium rare.

I'm the same way with salmon - cooking it all the way through ruins it for me.

As a person who has just finished wolfing down a large serving of yellowfin tuna tataki, I concur.

I know lots of people who don't like seafood, or at least some kinds. I'm not a fan of crab or lobster, but I love prawns. I can't do molluscs (mussles, oysters, clams, etc.) though as they just look and have the texture of mucous for me.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I hate fish, but only cooked. I love raw fish, especially salmon. Some sashimi dipped in soy sauce with a little wasabi is awesome. I could definitely eat a lot of that.
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    All the talk about salmon is making me laugh. I took the family on a cruise to Alaska. The boys and I love to fish so part of the trip was a day on a charter boat, and of course the cruise itself served some kind of salmon every day.

My wife likes some seafood but mainly shrimp. She was determined to find a kind of salmon she could enjoy and she certainly had her chance. We had it grilled. Baked. Broiled. Salmon pate. Salmon soup. Stuffed. Sushi fresh out of the ocean.

She hated every bite.

She was a trooper and did not give up but she never did find anything she liked. It's now a running gag in the family whenever we go somewhere that has salmon on the menu. :)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,804 Member
    Options
    It's now a running gag in the family whenever we go somewhere that has salmon on the menu. :)

Double meaning?

• dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    It's now a running gag in the family whenever we go somewhere that has salmon on the menu. :)

Double meaning?

I see what you did there.... ;)
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »

Double meaning?

LOL! But seriously I love Pacific salmon but am ambivalent about Atlantic salmon... lucky west coasters!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only who HATES seafood? I know fish is important in healthy eating because it's considered "good fat" but I just can't eat the stuff! Does anyone think if I worked in some fish supplements into my diet I'll get the same benefits?

There are other food sources of omega-3 fats if that is your concern. Ground flax seed or flax seed oil, walnuts or walnut oil, some eggs (should say on the pkg), butter from grass fed cows, canola oil.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to get in good fats - nuts etc and plant based. Life is too short my friend to eat what you don't like :D I for example will never ever ever eat swede... it's so random that I hate it. A friend did a curry with it in on a campsite...I had the windows down from 300ft away I could smell it and ..well..was sick. Everyone tries to convince me to try it. Life's too short. You're not missing out if you don't like something just eat something else in its place if you're concerned about nutrition. Enjoy your shrinking !!!
  • J_Kidd85
    J_Kidd85 Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I will not eat fresh seafood shrimp crab legs, any of that stuff. But I LOVE canned tuna. Weird, right? And its a great source protein!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I do not like fish or shellfish. I am very sensitive to smells and have a hard time being near anything that has a fish smell. Makes it very hard to live near the coast of Maine where there are many seafood restaurants!

I had a student who had a chef father. He came into class one day and made sushi for the students and talked about his time in Japan. He knew I did not like fish, so he made a special pineapple sushi for me, I was able to choke it down, but the smell of the seaweed almost made me gag!
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've tried, but it isn't going to happen. I live near the Chesapeake Bay, I love to fish, and crab, but all my catch either goes back in the ocean, or to my neighbors because I don't like to eat any of it. I wish I did, because all of those recipes and pictures look delicious, but once the stuff is actually in my mouth, I can't stand the texture. I have the same reaction to skin, or fat or gristle in any kind of meat, and don't particularly care for meat on the bone either.

How did I get so fat if I'm such a picky eater?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Eat some flax seeds and leafy greens and you'll be fine without seafood. No need for expensive supplements.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's taken five years and a lot of patience to find fish and fish recipes that my husband likes. I'm finally succeeding.
    Go for mild, meatier fish, like mahi-mahi, (I buy the fresh-frozen at Trader Joe's) and use good complimentary sauces that work with the fish, not against it. My most recent success was mahi mahi covered in a sauce made from balsamic vinegar, kumquats, red onions and basil.
    Tonight, I'm going for garlic butter baked cod and have leftover turkey-meatloaf on standby in case he hates it...
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    the only fish i eat is fried fish sandwiches... can't stand any other seafood. Wife loves the stuff.